[LOCKED] - New Xbox Update To Make Some Systems Obsolete!

So I was just informed that Microsoft is planning an update that will cause specific Xbox systems to no longer read disks. Their plan is to contact the users of these systems and offer them a free Xbox 360S with a 250gb hard drive. Can anyone verify this? Also, which generation of systems will be affected? Mine is pretty old so I'm a bit worried.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

And the point of this would be?

The point is this:

They offer replacements for those who's systems it affects, the replacement takes 28days or so to arrive, people wont wait that long, go out and buy a new Xbox...Microsoft makes money...nothing more than that.

Well here you go.

It appears that the new Xbox LIVE update, which will introduce support for the new XGD3 disk format, might prevent a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs.

Kotaku were contacted by a reader who received an email from Microsoft informing him that it had detected via Xbox LIVE that his Xbox (a 60GB Pro from 2009) was affected. Microsoft has offered to replace his console with a new Xbox 360S with 250GB hard drive at no expense.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1168986p1.html

Also if you can't wait for the new FREE console to come then that's your fault.

[quote user="BlindColor"]

So I was just informed that Microsoft is planning an update that will cause specific Xbox systems to no longer read disks. Their plan is to contact the users of these systems and offer them a free Xbox 360S with a 250gb hard drive. Can anyone verify this? Also, which generation of systems will be affected? Mine is pretty old so I'm a bit worried.

[/quote]

Um, just asking but I haven't heard any such "information". The Update Title was being tested on all Xbox 360's, not just the new Xbox 360 S. Could you please provide a credible source?

No there will be no problems. Major Nelson has confirmed this

majornelson.com/.../clearing-up-some-confusion

Is there any truth to this or what?

Either way just because it would take a month to ship doesn't mean it's some conspiracy to make money off customers. How about you try to ship a bunch of xboxs around the country(and the world?) and see how fast you can manage it.

[quote user="AlmondAdam"]

The point is this:

They offer replacements for those who's systems it affects, the replacement takes 28days or so to arrive, people wont wait that long, go out and buy a new Xbox...Microsoft makes money...nothing more than that.

[/quote]

Pfft, i would absolutely wait 28 days for a free xbox. It's not like my life revolves around it or something.

My point is that "some will". OK maybe I was being a little cynical (as is my style usually), but Microsoft surely must at least thought that would happen...then began rubbing it's paws together... :p

So how would you propose they instantly ships all those xboxs?

People accuse me of being frivolous with my money. Not even I would go out and buy a new console if I had a free one coming to me in less than a month.