live tv with smart tv but without set top box

I want to enjoy live tv with my xbox one. As I am using a smart tv with integrated digital sat receiver I don't have a separate set top box. How can I enjoy live tv in this configuration? I want to control the tv, the channels and the xbox one in parallel by voice command.  Is this possible or do I need a separate set top box anyway?

My target is to use as less boxes and devices as possible.  Just xbox one (the all in one entertainment system) + smart tv + 5.1 dolby HiFi receiver for the sound. No extra CD, DVD, BlueRay Player or any set top box.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 41 Applies to:

Hi SocD 123, unfortunately you need a device equipped with HDMI out in order to use TV on Xbox One.

PM on Groove Music, formerly worked on OneGuide, TV, and Game Streaming on Xbox One.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Really superb planning for a console that is supposed to last for 8 years... People are turning more and more towards smart TVs and ci+ - but hey that has not yet arrived in the States and thus you simply ignore it. Well done xbox one tv team... Not!

Sorry this didn't help.

Remember what the Xbox 360 looked like in 2005? What kind of apps and support it had? Then think about what it looks like now. Huge difference, right?

Not every feature will be available at launch. Some foundations will be laid down, but there are a lot of great things the Xbox One will do in the future.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but understand that things will just keep getting better and better.

PM on Groove Music, formerly worked on OneGuide, TV, and Game Streaming on Xbox One.

Sorry this didn't help.

Studbucket

1) Thanks for taking the time to reply - its good to see you guys care

2) apologies for being a douche - frustration sometimes gets me

Regarding your questions:

I do remember the Xbox 360 launch. However with Live TV and Xbox One I am doubting that there will be a solution for CI+ users anytime soon.

As you probably well know many users in Europe bought SmartTVs recently - one of the features in most of these TVs is a built-in set-top-box (STB) / receiver for TV programs, given you are using a CI+ module. This allows you to take the smartcard out of your receiver / STB and put it into a module inside the TV, thus eliminating the need of a separate / additional STB device - yes not everybody does it, but more and more people are doing this.

The problem I see with this:

No SmartTV that I know has an HDMI out that is needed for Xbox One LiveTV. So with this knowledge and also the knowledge that HDMI cables only support one-directional data transfer (although theoretically you _could_ use the bi-directional LAN cables inside an HDMI cable) - how is this supposed to be solved in the near future?

Sorry this didn't help.

No worries k4meltreiber, I get it :)

I can't comment on how we would solve this, because we have nothing to announce at this time. However, we are very aware of the worldwide TV landscape.

Sorry this didn't help.

Worldwide means outside the US, too - my friend ;-)

I.e. I really do need to connect a seperate STB to the Xbox one in order to enjoy live tv even if (or although) I am using a smart tv? Does this make any sense? The idea of a smart tv is to live w/o any extra STB's...

Is there a possibility to directly feed in the tv signal to the Xbox one?

What about K4meltreiber's input of using the bi-directional LAN cables inside an HDMI cable to control the built in STB?

In comparison with the PS4 the feature "live tv" of the Xbox one was a strrong argument of the "all in one entertainment system"... I am looking forward to hear about any technical solution. As I own a premium smart tv I won't by a extra STB - sorry!

Sorry this didn't help.