License/Repair issues/WTF

I’m really not sure where this goes, or even if I’m supposed to be posting this here, but anyways, here goes. I’m having a big issue with Xbox customer service/customer support. I’m losing faith in the product. I’ve spent money buying a new console, only for it to break and then to be given the runaround.

Here’s what happened: I bought a Gears of War 3 console from a seller on Amazon. Got it 2/14/12, which is the day I moved my content from an old 250GB HDD to the new 320GB HDD in the Gearsbox, and transferred licenses. Had intermittent issues with the console but they didn’t last so I thought all was well. 2/29 the console gives me E74 (yeah, it died after 15 days. I wasn’t a happy guy), and I get a repair started and mail it in. I get the console back on 3/19, while I’m not home. I get home two days later and it’s here, and it works fine.

The letter I get in 3 languages says that I’ll get a license transfer prompt when I turn it on and sign in. It never comes. I try to transfer my licenses manually, and it says I have to wait until June 14th to do it. Again, I’m not a happy guy. I don’t feel I should have to wait 3 months to use my paid content offline if I don’t want to. So I do the online chat and they tell me I have to wait about 2 weeks and I get a service request number. Fine. Not really ideal, but whatever.

The next day (Thursday 3/22/12), I get an e-mail from Xbox telling me that they tried calling and I need to call them back. OK. So I call them back, and I have to give them my information. Over the course of 3 days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) I have 4 e-mails telling me I need to call Xbox customer service. 4 times I called them and 4 times I gave them all my information. Thanks to these calls, I now know my phone number by heart, I will never forget where I live and I know my console serial number and console ID numbers like they’re written on the back of my hand. I’ve also been given several timeframes for my licenses to be transferred: anywhere from 3 to 16 business days. So I ask the community: why the turnaround time? Why not just give me access to my own content I PAID FOR?

I now have 4 Service Request Numbers, and my open conversation with them on Twitter (I’m @positivelydan if anyone cares to read it, they’re @XboxSupport naturally) has led me nowhere except more phone calls with more runaround. I’m not going to lie: I’m getting pretty angry. I’ve been a Gold member for 6 years uninterrupted. I’ve bought thousands of dollars worth of content (that I can’t use offline). I’ve steered people towards buying Xbox 360 instead of going with the competition. I’m even an Ambassador. I don’t want to promote/troubleshoot something that can’t be bothered helping me when I need it.

I feel the need to write this all if for no other reason than to tell someone to not upgrade. Don't buy a new console for yourself if the old one is working, lest you end up unable to use your content offline like me. It's not worth the runaround.

So what else should I do? Should I do nothing but wait? I'm getting a little frustrated for that. Should I do the "firm but polite" thing? That's got me 4 SRNs. Be aggressive on the phone? Then I won't get anywhere. So I'm not sure where to go from here.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Maybe I should mention also that this is my seventh console. I had 4 die on me, gave the 5th to my little brother and the 6th was Gearsbox number 1. This one I have right now is number 7. So it's not like I'm not loyal or anything. Maybe I'm just frustrated.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Understandable to be frustrated.

From what I know, it was only supposed to be available for license transfers to work once a year. Who ever set the specs or design or whatever apparently couldn't conceive of someone needing to transfer more often than that.

It was made more frequent by changing the limitation to every 4 months.

And that same design/controlling team seems to have decided that "since you can do it so often, we don't do manual transfers anymore".

Great. Thanks, guys.

So, you can get an escalation done even though they technically don't really do manual transfers much anymore.

And the service centers are supposed to do that manual transfer for you. But they've seemed to just fail on that point.

As for the customer support.. obviously outsourced. I had some friends who worked for a center in canada. And if they outsource to multiple companies, who'd each run their own training, good luck on the agent draw and inconsistant information.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, it certainly is frustrating. It's not like I'm new to the scene or anything, and it's not like I wanted any of my consoles to break. Certainly I didn't want it to happen right after I moved all the licenses. I just feel like upgrading my console and spending on Xbox products and content has punished me somehow. I mean, I can't use it how I want to (occasionally offline) and I have a varying timeframe as to when I'll be able to use it (anywhere from 3 days to 16 days, maybe up to 3 months from now basically given the 4-month transfer time limit). It's bull, and I'm not happy about it.

The best part is I bet that I'll get an e-mail tomorrow asking to call customer service, and I'll be 200 miles away from my stuff for work. I guess I should write it all down and bring it with me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Man. And to think we keep telling people to buy this product!! Don't get me wrong... I love my 360, but they really need to start hiring people that actually know what's going on and what they're talking about, and stop throwing those that don't even own the machine online!!!

If I get another person ask me (after I tell them I'm with my console now) are you in front of the console? I think I will find them and hit them with the console! LOL!! Why would I do that? That would just make the repair time longer!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, people are stupid. They will call without being in front of their xbox. Or have wandered away. They wouldn't want to give instructions that can't be followed right away.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I am 200 miles away from home in a hotel that has barely-adequate-for-loading-webpages wi-fi (I wouldn't want to play on Live with it) and if I brought my Xbox with me I'd be even more angry than I am at home with a wired connection. As it is, I have no idea what's going on but I did write down my console ID and serial numbers just in case I have to call "customer service".

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks to me like you are not willing to wait the two weeks you were told to wait. No ones fault but your own for that one. From what I read on your Twitter it was a system hiccup, it happens, but the way you are acting it is like you are completely unable to use your content. That is not true, so long as you are online you can use it. I'm going to go ahead and assume you have internet since you are here posting about it. So you can either wait the two weeks or don't. The process isn't going to go any faster just because you threaten to go to PS3 or Wii or wherever else, gaming is a choice and we aren't forced to stay with a product or service we don't like or agree with. 

So does this mean you are withdrawing your Ambassador Position on XBL? If so you may want to contact whomever is in charge of it so they can remove your icon.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not willing to wait the two weeks/wasn't willing to. I feel I shouldn't have to. I'll freely admit that. If wanting to use my content how I should be able to is a fault, then yeah it's my fault. There's no reason I should have to wait this long when I did everything I was supposed to. I gave my information more times than I should've had to. I wasn't a *** customer, and I wasn't unreasonable or anything. I didn't break my console, nor did I want it to break. There's not a single good reason I should HAVE to be online when I use content I paid for unless it was my fault, which if you want to call a console breaking my fault feel free, but it wasn't.

Why should I not have use of my content offline? Because a console I just bought broke? No. You come up with an answer that is more than "Well that's what Microsoft says, so that's the way it has to be." and I'll accept that. Am I online most or all the time on my Xbox? Yes, I am. Doesn't mean I should be limited in how I use my content I paid for. Also, there's more than just me on my console using my stuff, why should anyone else on my console be locked out of paid content? Honestly... the way I felt about it... I did my end, Microsoft should do their end.

To their credit, I got an e-mail saying my licenses were transferred today, so come Wednesday I'll find out for sure (that's when I'll be home).

No, I'm not revoking my Ambassador status. I thought about it, but making bad or hasty decisions while angered or frustrated isn't going to benefit anyone.

Also, as an aside... no, I didn't threaten to go with the competition. I did it. Bought me a PS3 Slim. I love it. Honestly, I don't know that I like it more than Xbox 360, but it's nice to have both consoles' exclusives available to me, and the best multi-platform non-PC (if PC's applicable) version at any time. Still don't care much for PS3's controller though. At any end, they'll compliment each other nicely.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, PositivelyDan. It seems like you've had a long journey dealing with this issue. I am so sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. We still definitely want to get this resolved for you. I have a few clarifying questions that I'd like to ask. First, you mention a few times that you want to play offline. Did you connect your console to the internet after your conversation with support where they mentioned you would receive an automatic title transfer prompt? Second, I don't see any mention in your posts about re-downloading your content. Did you at any point attempt to re-download your titles? Thanks for the clarification! I'm here if you have any questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's resolved altogether. I should've posted an update last night, but I didn't. Anyways, I'll answer your questions in order:

First: Yes, I did. I connected it to the Internet as soon as I hooked it up to my TV. I don't know if it maybe didn't happen because I don't sign in as my Primary name when the console's first turned on, but in any event the prompt didn't happen.

Second: Yes, I did. I tried downloading Simpsons Arcade (my newest Arcade purchase) and it didn't change from Trial to Full Game. When I noticed it didn't happen, that's when I started the customer service contacts.

I mentioned the e-mail I got Monday when I was in a hotel room 200 miles away from home (and my console). When I got home last night, I tried downloading some Arcade games and they worked offline. So I downloaded all my Add-ons and Arcade games and Games on Demand and I'm good to go.

I do deeply appreciate the customer service I got at the end (even though it was marred by shenanigans in the beginning I think), and I'm happy all my stuff is back working the way it should. I also filled out my Twitter "report card" and gave I think good marks (don't remember what I said exactly) and apologized for being hard to get along with at that moment in time.

Sorry this didn't help.