Leveling in Morrowind

While impatiently waiting for the Skyrim 1.9 patch, I decided to give Oblivion another shot. I originally quit the game early on because of its horrible leveling system, but someone finally explained it to me w/o going into a painstakingly detailed account of multipliers & other overly complicated crap a new player doesn't need to hear. But I digress, now that I've wrapped my head around its leveling system, I was wondering if Morrowind's is similar -- someone gave me a copy awhile back, but I never played it because I heard "no fast travel." Cheers!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In morrowind you specifiy "major skills" and "minor skills". both get a point boost to start with major getting a higher point boost. leveling 10 (in any combo) of these skills up grants a level. the rest of the skills outside of the major/minor ones are called miscellaneous and do not contribute to the next level as far as progress. leveling any skill however does contribute (in some way) to the bonus (+1 to +5) you get when you pick 3 attributes to rank up when you level up.

BTW, Morrowind does indeed have some "fast travel" options available to you. There are several fast transportation systems in the game (Mage guilds, boats, silt striders, propylon chambers,etc.), as well as two spells (mark and recall).  In addition, as your skills develop, you can levitate (fly above the terrain).  Some of us old gamers still rate Morrowind as superior to Oblivion and as good as Skyrim. Obviously, this refers to storyline quality as opposed to graphics sophistication.

So, Morrowind sounds like it's exactly the same as Oblivion.

Sounds good :D Skyrim went too far when they simplified the leveling system.

I don't find Skyrim's leveling simplified at all. I think it just allows the player to play how they want, with the character they want. Plus, from what I've read, Bethesda changed the leveling because people were so so critical about leveling in previous TES games.

"I don't find Skyrim's leveling simplified at all".

You don't think that removing the distinction between Major and Minor skills or removing the stat element to it simplified the leveling?

As far as Major and Minor skills go, removing that did allow them to give you a more flexible character. It's the same with removing the stats but the tradeoff wasn't worth it.

I think the leveling in Oblivion is awful. I don't like a leveling system that can be done wrong or where leveling up can actually weaken your character. IMO, TES leveling in 3 & 4 was broken -- it's fixed in 5. I love Skyrim's leveling -- you can quite literally customize your character & you're not forced to use skills you don't need. 5's leveling is easier, but I wouldn't call it dumbed down because 4's leveling was unnecessarily complicated. Just my 2 cents...

Morrowind's leveling was awesome, if you paid any attention to things you could easily get +5 bonuses to all three attributes you picked every time you leveled up. And unless you played a mage character you always started maxing Str, End, Agi first (agility determined hit chance where as str was carrying capacity and dmg with melee and end because that determined health gained per level as well as max stam).

I always went with some stolen medium armor in Morrowind to level Endurance for the health benefits even though I went with glass later. In Oblivion I huffed around in heavy armor early to benefit my health. I never really got into the finer points of finagling the leveling in Morrowind but it still worked for me. Mark and Recall were wonderful. I left my recall set on Creeper unless i needed to get through the ashfields for a quest and didn't want to have to go back the same way. Of course, I get lost easily so wandering the ashfields was not fun. Remember the first time you saw a cliff racer?

Speaking of Morrowind, I saw a youtube of Morrowind 3.0 (I think). It was a modded Morrowind which brought the graphics up to really gorgeous. I want it! I don't have a pc though :(

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

So, Morrowind sounds like it's exactly the same as Oblivion.

Sounds good :D Skyrim went too far when they simplified the leveling system.

[/quote]

Morrowinds and Oblivion's leveling system is horrible if you ask me.  It's possible to have a level 20 character being weaker than a level 15 because it's possible to 'waste' points if you don't take your time to level up correctly and although it is possible to have a level 20 character weaker than a level 15 (IE: Level up your Sneak only until you reach level 20) in Skyrim, it's not possible to waste points away.

Morrowind: Efficient Leveling

"Morrowinds and Oblivion's leveling system is horrible if you ask me.  It's possible to have a level 20 character being weaker than a level 15 because it's possible to 'waste' points if you don't take your time to level up correctly".

RPGs should have that depth. It is not that you can have a weak character, especially not if you have difficulty as adjustable as Oblivion's was. It is that you can have an excellent, well-built character if you put the dedication into it. Just because you couldn't or didn't level as efficiently as you could have, doesn't mean the depth should be taken away.

What's next, make puzzles or quests easier to solve because people can't think a little harder for themselves? Make loot painfully obvious so people don't have to put any effort into finding it?

"although it is possible to have a level 20 character weaker than a level 15 (IE: Level up your Sneak only until you reach level 20) in Skyrim, it's not possible to waste points away".

You don't think putting Perks into, say, Sneak, Pickpocket and Speech instead of combat skills before level 20 makes them weaker than a character at 15 with all their Perks into combat skills?

________

The leveling system was simplified, unnecessarily and unfortunately so.