Level Scaling

I'm level 24 and Skeletons are still as even a match for me as they were at level 1. With a full suit of Daedric and Goldbrand in my hand a fight between myself and a Dremora Lord is an even fight. If I have any equipment that's not as good as that though then it'll be a tough fight. Unless I have a bunch of potions. Give him a few buddies though and I'm basically toast. I'm level 24 (about to hit 25), I'm not completely powerful yet, but I'm defiantly getting there (my lowest major is 50, but highest is 89). I'd expect 10 levels from now that I'd be strolling about one hitting just about everything that's from the same plane of reality as me like back in the Morrowind days, but then again this is Oblivion. So 10 levels from now the game will probably just amp the difficulty from fair to "Me and my buddies are going to pin you in a corner and stagger you over and over so that you can't do anything" (which as you can imagine has already happened a few times. Mehrunes Razor was a ***).

Basically, playing Oblivion again, I've come to fully realize again just how stupid level scaling is. It's dawned on me that unless I pull that slider all the way to the left I'm never going to be better then anyone or anything larger than a rat. So much for feeling like those 20+ levels are actually worth something more than gear that looks shiny.

God I hope Skyrim doesn't have level scaling like this. New Vegas, with all it's bugs and funky looking textures, defiantly handles level scaling 100x better than Oblivion ever did. Todd Howard better have been paying attention.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Agreed. And it is funny, every play through I did, it seemed like the twenties where always the toughest levels, once I got closer to 30, it seem to level back down.

Todd did a recent interview where I think he stated that the level scaling in Skyrim is going to be much more like Fallout. They're listening.

It's hard to believe the Short One at times. Fallout 3 handled scaling much better, though for me at least once I hit 25+ I was fighting enemies that were either too easy (Raiders, Ghoul Roamers, etc) or too hard (Ghoul Reavers, packs of 3+ Super Mutant Overlords). There were a few stray areas (the center of Downtown DC and Old Olney are the most prominent in my mind) where you would die if you were low level or ill equipped, but after playing FO3 fully again recently, barring those areas, that game also felt a little too scaled as well. Though it was tolerable.

New Vegas defiantly did it best. Try and go north despite numerous warnings at the start of the game and you'll be lucky to stay alive for any longer then maybe 10 seconds. Go south and you'll have a fair fight. Once I hit 30 in that game, I was crushing most things, and occasionally having a challenging fight with a few Deathclaws or a pack of Cazadors. Super Mutants became mostly fair matches for ED-E, Veronica, and Myself. That's what I'm hoping for with Skyrim. Once you hit 50, you should only be scared of the biggest Daedra or the greatest Dragons. Things you feared at level 1 should fear YOU at level 50. As long as scaling like that is in the game things like the number of skills or dungeons are trivial in my mind. Just give me the excellent combat system, a large variety of armor and weapons, and New Vegas style level scaling and I'll be good to go.

Its been a while, but on my old account I was around level 45. I don't remember having the trouble that you guys all talk about having... That might be because I play at about a fourth down the difficulty line, but still. If you guys are having this much trouble, why not change the level until you feel it suits your level.

OP, you almost perfectly described my typical Nord/warrior character. I get to a point where I can no longer keep playing and enjoy myself and so I've yet to have a decent and thorough playthrough. I think I made it to the upper levels between 30-40 before I ragged quit hard in the Shivering Isles while trying to complete a quest that involved me going through section after section of a cave infested with those insect-like creatures only to have the *** kicked out of me by what appeared to be three half naked men on skooma. I'm really looking forward to Skyrim being a good game and hopefully TES will replace my many lost single player passions. But I have a feeling Bethesda wouldn't work backwards at this point,  it would be pretty hard to make Skyrim a worse game than Oblivion.

I went north straight away in my first playthrough of new vegas.

Got to vegas... no deaths... but thats mainly because im a sneaky son of a *****

At 24 your highest skill is 89? lulz. By that level i'm destroying enemies so bad that I have to turn up the difficulty hahaha. Fun times.

You had a hard time with Overlords and Reavers? Pansy.

[quote user="Captain Beretta"]

At 24 your highest skill is 89? lulz. By that level i'm destroying enemies so bad that I have to turn up the difficulty hahaha. Fun times.

[/quote]

Yeah, with 2 other 80's, a 70, and a 60 behind it. I don't just sit there and grind a skill over and over.

Course, you seem to be having problems getting those Doctor's Bags and keeping Companions alive don't you? ;) Level 30 Hardcore in New Vegas and NOBODY died at the Dam. Kept the difficulty at Normal the whole game. Come back and talk after you've done that bro.

[quote user="death knowz"]

You had a hard time with Overlords and Reavers? Pansy.

[/quote]

Yeah, when there's a group of 3 of them at a time in a small space (which is generally where those groups would spawn. Lucky me.) My latest playthrough RL-3 and Dogmeat had the glitched stats so basically nothing was a danger. RL-3 ate everything for breakfast.

I never said I had trouble with Doctor bags or keeping companions alive. The reason I said that was because I purposely made boone step on a landmine and die (which was lulz, then I loaded back of course), and I didn't know companions could die on hardcore. Come on dude the last person I need is you talking ***.