Late night Rant. "this is a secret achievement"......

Its 1am, I can't sleep and after going through a few of the other forums on games I am playing, something dawned on me.  Yes it is actually annoying me now that I have this knowledge.  I feel like ranting just a bit here, because...I want to and its a worthy rant IMO.

'

What is up with the majority of games not showing the majority of the achievements via the achievement guide in game?  Yes, I know I can look up any achievement known with a few clicks, but that doesn't matter, its a hassle, why should we and its not my point.  I am just at a complete loss as to why achievements have to remain so secret?  I get having a few, the fun ones, like stabbing the cat 4 times with your pocket knife....ya cool make it a secret one.  But for the majority of the achievements, they have to be secret too?

Sure, like everyone else, a few clicks and I can look them up.  Glance at them on the internet, forget most of them, come back to my game and know if I am going to run across some payday points or just maybe I might be aware to shoot 10 chickens in the courtyard while I am fighting terrorists, ok cool.  Is the information that rough it needs to remain a secret?  Why can't I just go into my guide, look at the achievements for one of the games I am playing, know what they are WHILE I am actually playing, not being forced to multi task from the PC to the game 50 times to remember to shoot the pink guy when he runs across the screen?

Do the developers feel, its best to just keep them secret on the 360 to prolongue the life of their game?  Hate to break it to ya, but theres 2 types of 360 players out there, gamers who are anal over them and the rest of us.  Who all enjoy getting them, we will do something extra to get them, but if we walk away from the game with a score of 200, we are ok with that.  Not like we are gonna run through MW2 on veteran difficulty just for the achievements right?  I mean, we already...AREN"T that good....we could beat it yes, if we dedicated hours and hours of our life to it.  Cursing, yelling, repeating the same parts over and over to beat that insane, bogus cheating computer so I can get an extra 50 points that no one cares about....

So, point is why are they still a secret?  The only ones they could possibly benefit are those moral choice ones, like we won't save the game right before, make both choices right?  So keeping that one a secret and all of the others on the 360 is a must.  So we can play it again or something?  Seriously, stop.  We all look if we want too, only the gamers who truly go for that max gamerscore for their games are going to remember half of them.  The rest of us, can't we just look at the guide and have the information that is already supposed to be there?  It might actually improve the time we play on some of these games....I mean the game bites, you know you don't like it, but $60 bucks for a not like is always a...you just have to play it.  You don't like it, you aren't going to look up the achievements for it...you are just trying to get a few of your hard earned dollars back in time at least before you off it at Gamestop.  But if the achievements were handy, on the guide....you might actually find some purpose that isn't out of your way to keep playing.  Just a thought.

Seriously though, I get having a few secret ones, I really do.  It would be actually cool if the secret ones weren't even listed (OMG!) and they just "popped" if you did it.  So we couldn't even take a few clicks on launch day and know everything.  But do most all of them have to be like that?  Its stupid to hold out that knowledge from us via the 360, its a pain in the butt, the system is in place, your game will be played no matter how you did them, stop making all of them secret.  If your game building skills are that awful, I expect to invest 6-8 hours into your game only to have maybe 15 points anyways from a few like "you beat level 20 without dying!  5 points"....aka you suck at even giving us achievements. 

End of my pointless rant that is easily fixed.  Obviously I don't play games for achievements, but I do like them.  I hate a hassle though, I shouldn't have to go to websites to see what they are,  It even takes away bragging rights, cause the rest of us can't see that you made it through Fallout 3 by only throwing rocks at the enemies...its a secret achievement for the rest of us...we just see you did it...um good job.  Its a pointless system, the surprise sucks, it isn't holding us down for more playtime...its just straight up stupid and time to stop.  Make them visible so we can see them....

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

omg... I made paragraphs, I am trying to edit it.  I swear I was not retarded with one long sentence.  I should have just typed it all in caps heh.  It won't let me edit it, sorry...I don't see why it condensed everything, I clearly made new paragraphs.  Sorry....

I have the same problem, Cant seem to make new paragraphs. dont know if its the browser im using or what....

anyway....back on topic, I like having secret achievment. Sometimes when a friend is playing a game befor me ill look at the achievments of that game. Now lets sa your playing a game and the main character, (the person you play as) name is john...john....lets call him john john, or how about JJ........Lets say your looking at your friends achievments and you see an achievment that says "youve sucessfully killed the boss and JJ has died"  WHOA!!!!! huge spoiler!!!!  Yeah thats not something i want to see, that needs to be a secret achievment. And like you said, You can always look up the achievments online anyays, so if you really want to know.........

Secret achievements is asinine and I agree with the OP. I've seen games that list more than half the achievements with secret achievements only. Secret Achievements make baby jesus fetus cry.

They annoy me too.

I do not mind them. As long they keep story related one ruin the game.

[quote user="Wolvklaw"]

omg... I made paragraphs, I am trying to edit it.  I swear I was not retarded with one long sentence.  I should have just typed it all in caps heh.  It won't let me edit it, sorry...I don't see why it condensed everything, I clearly made new paragraphs.  Sorry....

[/quote]

sorry for going off topic but Yeah I switched over to FF after making that last post. I am now able

to

make

paragraphs.

For some reason FF just works beeter with these forums, YOu should try it out.

[quote user="Wolvklaw"]

Its 1am, I can't sleep and after going through a few of the other forums on games I am playing, something dawned on me.  Yes it is actually annoying me now that I have this knowledge.  I feel like ranting just a bit here, because...I want to and its a worthy rant IMO.

'

What is up with the majority of games not showing the majority of the achievements via the achievement guide in game?  Yes, I know I can look up any achievement known with a few clicks, but that doesn't matter, its a hassle, why should we and its not my point.  I am just at a complete loss as to why achievements have to remain so secret?  I get having a few, the fun ones, like stabbing the cat 4 times with your pocket knife....ya cool make it a secret one.  But for the majority of the achievements, they have to be secret too?

Sure, like everyone else, a few clicks and I can look them up.  Glance at them on the internet, forget most of them, come back to my game and know if I am going to run across some payday points or just maybe I might be aware to shoot 10 chickens in the courtyard while I am fighting terrorists, ok cool.  Is the information that rough it needs to remain a secret?  Why can't I just go into my guide, look at the achievements for one of the games I am playing, know what they are WHILE I am actually playing, not being forced to multi task from the PC to the game 50 times to remember to shoot the pink guy when he runs across the screen?

Do the developers feel, its best to just keep them secret on the 360 to prolongue the life of their game?  Hate to break it to ya, but theres 2 types of 360 players out there, gamers who are anal over them and the rest of us.  Who all enjoy getting them, we will do something extra to get them, but if we walk away from the game with a score of 200, we are ok with that.  Not like we are gonna run through MW2 on veteran difficulty just for the achievements right?  I mean, we already...AREN"T that good....we could beat it yes, if we dedicated hours and hours of our life to it.  Cursing, yelling, repeating the same parts over and over to beat that insane, bogus cheating computer so I can get an extra 50 points that no one cares about....

So, point is why are they still a secret?  The only ones they could possibly benefit are those moral choice ones, like we won't save the game right before, make both choices right?  So keeping that one a secret and all of the others on the 360 is a must.  So we can play it again or something?  Seriously, stop.  We all look if we want too, only the gamers who truly go for that max gamerscore for their games are going to remember half of them.  The rest of us, can't we just look at the guide and have the information that is already supposed to be there?  It might actually improve the time we play on some of these games....I mean the game bites, you know you don't like it, but $60 bucks for a not like is always a...you just have to play it.  You don't like it, you aren't going to look up the achievements for it...you are just trying to get a few of your hard earned dollars back in time at least before you off it at Gamestop.  But if the achievements were handy, on the guide....you might actually find some purpose that isn't out of your way to keep playing.  Just a thought.

Seriously though, I get having a few secret ones, I really do.  It would be actually cool if the secret ones weren't even listed (OMG!) and they just "popped" if you did it.  So we couldn't even take a few clicks on launch day and know everything.  But do most all of them have to be like that?  Its stupid to hold out that knowledge from us via the 360, its a pain in the butt, the system is in place, your game will be played no matter how you did them, stop making all of them secret.  If your game building skills are that awful, I expect to invest 6-8 hours into your game only to have maybe 15 points anyways from a few like "you beat level 20 without dying!  5 points"....aka you suck at even giving us achievements. 

End of my pointless rant that is easily fixed.  Obviously I don't play games for achievements, but I do like them.  I hate a hassle though, I shouldn't have to go to websites to see what they are,  It even takes away bragging rights, cause the rest of us can't see that you made it through Fallout 3 by only throwing rocks at the enemies...its a secret achievement for the rest of us...we just see you did it...um good job.  Its a pointless system, the surprise sucks, it isn't holding us down for more playtime...its just straight up stupid and time to stop.  Make them visible so we can see them....

[/quote]

[quote user="Wolvklaw"]

[/quote]There you go, fixed.

I think that there does need to be secret achievements, but only spoilers, and they have to unlock during the progression of the game.

It feels like more of an actual achievement, when you doing something random and then unlock a cheevo for it - like when I lobbed a load of grenades into a lab on black ops and got the kill ten monkeys achievement - that being said some secret achievements are so ridiculous you'd never unlock them unless you knew what you were doing!

I don't mind them if they are story related and they want to avoid spoilers.  I don't think they need to make other kinds of achievements secret though.  

Example: All the achievement in Lost Planet 2 are secret (except for one) most of Japanese games have half of their achievements secret, I see what you're saying...