Lag in FF Arcade/Co-Op Campaign

For some reason, I lag horribly in these two playlists. I've only tried them each a couple times, though.

I tried completing a LASO challenge with two friends, and for some reason I was lagging like crazy. The game was still playable, but it was making the LASO more challenging than it already was. I feel like I could have performed much better had I not been lagging and it was frustrating.

In Firefight Arcade it's the worst though. It's not even playable with the lag I was experiencing. Not too long ago, I even prioritized good connection for the search. Still, everyone had a single red bar connection the entire game. I would move my stick to strafe, and a second or two later my character would strafe. If you can imagine taking a flip note and flipping it slowly, that's what my screen looked like; freeze, move, freeze, move, and so on.

I wouldn't be surprised if I just had a crap connection, but that can't be the problem. I have fine connections when playing other games or even playing multiplayer matchmaking in Reach.

If anyone has an idea of what the problem may be and/or a solution, I would greatly appreciate it if you would help me out. I'm not as worried about Co-Op Campaign, but I really enjoy FF Arcade and that's what it's the worst in. I guess it's possible that I just have bad luck and had really bad hosts the few games I played.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Firefight and Campaign handle the connection differently.

Lag is applied [therefore experienced] differently between Matchmaking and Firefight/Campaign.

The AI needs to be synchronised to all players, and lag is experienced equally by everyone. An American, I presume, connecting with an Australian will have a very laggy game, as will the Australian, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that far away to be a significant problem.

I can't say how common it is for you to get a good connection in those gametypes, but they're easily the worst because of how lag is applied and the AI needs to be synchronised.

Matchmaking:

Button.

Action.

Lag.

AI Gametypes:

Button.

Lag.

Action.

It's annoying and far worse the way AI gametypes currently implement lag.

If it's a rarity for you I wouldn't worry about it though, plenty of people have it worse or more often -- or both. It also has barely anything to do with the Host, it's more due to distance but if someone has an extremely bad connection I presume that would be very bad in Firefight/Campaign.

Sorry for format in advance. Second post in these new forums and I haven't bothered to find out how to fix things.

Sounds like your connection dude unless you are getting very unlucky in the host you find.

Is there no way you can test with friends with local ping? Friends in a very near locale?

AI intensive games are always more prone to lag. Simple networking. Your connection might not be good enough to support AI game modes (FF + Campaign) but matchmaking requires a lot less bandwidth.

This would explain your lack of problems in MM as it is nowhere near as connection intensive.

You might find that you would get the same problems in other games that have AI elements e.g. Blops Zombies, GOW horde mode (although thats now on servers) etc etc.

Try the 2 following websites.

www.pingtest.net

www.speedtest.net

Do the tests.

Pingwise you want an A rating with minimal jitter and preferrably under 100 ping.

Speedwise you really want more than 2mb DL.

Upload isn't as big of an issue and I have no problems with my tiny 0.35 UL.

I would recommend 1 mbps and upward though.

EDIT:- Bob beat me to it.

Check those sites though and check it's not your end. If it's not your end then I guess you've not tried enough / find some local friends to play with.

Man, I would really appreciate it if the Forums would return to what they were. I would love to know whether the dumb $&#*s that 'designed' this even post here, because it screams "Hi, I'm the Forums and I hate user-friendliness" with every-single-thing-you-try-to-do.

I'd like my 'Enter', ie, A BREAK BETWEEN THE DAMN LINES to count, please, Forums.

^But we can post pictures no... Oh wait they got rid of that...

Is it so hard to add a classic option at the top of the forums so we can switch between the new forums layout to the old one? >~-

They're removing image signatures too, I believe.

I just don't know what the point is. Now we don't have an easy-acess Quote button (if we do at all, I don't know), we don't have a page button ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE BOTTOM OF POTENTIALLY VERY LONG, AWFUL-TO-LOOK-AT PAGES!

Argh .

LOL!!!  This is funny.  I normally like to try to help people and I wanted to follow up the Original Poster's comment (similar to what Bob posted)...but now all I really want to ask the original poster is:

How do I separate my F***'ing paragraphs like you did??

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

Firefight and Campaign handle the connection differently.

Lag is applied [therefore experienced] differently between Matchmaking and Firefight/Campaign.

The AI needs to be synchronised to all players, and lag is experienced equally by everyone. An American, I presume, connecting with an Australian will have a very laggy game, as will the Australian, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that far away to be a significant problem.

[/quote]

This is incorrect.  Lag is NOT applied.  It is lockstep netcode and the "world" or better put, global vars are sychronized.  Since AI's are not real clients and have no up/down bandwidth to contribute to a distributed model, synchro is the only way to go, Otherwise you'd have all sorts of problems with who-killed-what-first scenario.

I would disagree that host has lag, more specificaly, visual lag as compared to high latency clients which can look like a slideshow at times.

You basically disagreed with my use of the word 'applied' and..... That was it.

Don't get too worked up over it: I used 'applied' in the normal sense, didn't give it any special meaning.

"Lag is applied differently in Campaign/Firefight and Matchmaking"

"Lag is experienced differently in Campaign/Firefight and Matchmaking"

"Being laggy is different in Campaign/Firefight and Matchmaking"

I don't know how many other ways I can phrase it.  Also, in Firefight/Campaign the Host has just as hard a time as the other players.