Lag Compensation....why?

We all know that there is lag compensation built into the code, but my question is why?  Why should players with good connections get punished for a dial-up user?  Its not like the dialup user doesn't know he has a bad connection.  Many times as host I get lag and sometimes its almost unplayable. I know it's not my connection or router because I'm running 50MB down and 5up with a good ping with an open NAT.  What do you guys think? Should we have lag compensation code where 90% of the world has a fast connection option or bow down the cheap player on dialup?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

They can never win... people complain when they do lag compensation, ans people complain that its just the person with the best connection that wins when they don't. I don't really have an opinion on it, just as its not too obvious...

you can't play on xbox live with a dial up connection....

Lag compensation ruins the hit detection.

well I'd love to have  50mb down but I live in the woods in NY and 3 mb down is the max I can get and I still pay $34 a month  .

[quote user="LiveJOKER ACE"]

you can't play on xbox live with a dial up connection....

[/quote]

This^^ I know you were probably exaggerating OP but stop, just stop! We have all heard it before, for years. Whaaaa, Whaaaa, Whaaaa lag, lag, lag....get over it..it will be there forever.

I didnt know dial up still existed

There will always be lag, no connection is 100% steady all the time. I don't have a problem with lag compensation because without it  a fair amount of people wouldn't play online due to frustration. That would reduce the size of the gaming communities which in turn would most likely reduce sales. Reduced sales would mean reduced development. Reduced development would mean fewer quality games to play.

You have to look at the big picture to see lag compensation makes sense to a degree. Besides, your game stats shouldn't be based on who has the best high speed connection!  

Get a better upload speed. That's all I can say.

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]

Get a better upload speed. That's all I can say.

[/quote]  exactly

there are enough i nternet  providers out there

Not all internet providers go to all stretches of the planet for instance I just got dsl in my area 4 years ago .  They are the only high speed provider in 20 miles(3.0 down 0 .65 up is all they provide), we don't get cable out here.