Lack of Windows Media Player in Windows 10 causing problems

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I've browsed a lot of forums but have not found any solution yet. I installed Windows 10 the other day, and since it no longer supports or is compatible with Windows Media Player, I can't stream any pc content to my Xbox anymore... I can't even find and connect my pc to my Xbox at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides uninstalling Windows 10?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hey there, Esdamion77! Windows Media Player is still supported on Windows 10, so you should have no trouble streaming from it.

Are you possibly talking about Windows Media Center? These applications are different, and you will want to do a search for Windows Media Player on your PC or in the Store so that you can stream your media. You will just want to make sure you "Turn on media streaming..." under Stream when you launch the app. :)

Please let us know if you need further assistance! :D

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for your reply :) I did mean Windows Media Center and not the Media Player. Do I understand correctly that I now have to start a stream from my pc, instead of being able to start it from my Xbox 360 like I was able to do in WMC?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am interested in the answer to this also, I use my Windows Media Center to stream movies to my xbox 360 all the time, and am reticent to upgrade to Win 10 until I can find a way to stream again. If I have Win 10 can I still stream to my 360? At tax time I'm planning on getting an xbox one, but I really don't want to lose my streaming ability. Is there a post that explains in detail what to do to send a stream to the xbox from pc, without using WMC? Thank you for your time.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can use WMC without starting from your PC! You simply use the Video System Player on your Xbox 360 instead of the Media Center Extender app. One of our moderators actually made a really handy post we have stickied here that can help you guys out! The first post in there gives details for Media Center and Media Player. Even though it's for Windows 7, a lot of the details are similar.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need further assistance! I can see what we can do to get you guys up and running. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again, very helpful. I've set up everything according to the sticky. The issue now is that when I try to browse through my streamable files, the Xbox only recognizes the folders/directories but not any of the content in those folders. I can't view images, stream music or videos because all the folders appear empty, which they are not. There are many different types of files and especially in the image folder there are plenty that are compatible with Xbox, so I am not sure how I can fix this. More assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting! Do you happen to have any third party antivirus software? Some of these can cause issues with seeing the images. Also make sure that your sharing settings are all good. One might be able to see the files you have, but not the content with sharing settings sometimes. :3

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for all the help, but nothing seemed to work. I had two chatsessions with Xbox support aswell, browsed dozens of sites and forums, but nothing did the trick. I have no third party anti virus software installed, the firewall was setup correctly, I can stream from my freaking phone but not from my Xbox. So I uninstalled Windows 10 and now everything is fine.

Sorry this didn't help.