La Noire Reviews

Currently sitting at 92 on metacritic with 18 reviews.

May 16, 2011
A defining moment in video games on this generation, and more than just because of its use of MotionScan technology. The free-roaming genre has become a little stale in recent years, yet LA Noire manages to inject a renewed sense of vigour to the scene and capably demonstrates that video games don't have to be just about your trigger skills.
  • May 16, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a bold release, because it defies the expectations not just for the type of game Rockstar usually releases, but also for the type of game that receives this degree of care and proficiency in its execution. The world already has enough open-world action games, but a game which marries that open world to such a methodical style of gameplay, with a budget this big, is a rare thing indeed.
  • May 16, 2011
    There's something entrancing about the way this game plunges you into the violence, the corruption, and the sadness of post-war Los Angeles. Each of the four major desks has a remarkably different tone, and while the slow reveal of Phelps himself is the major narrative thread, it's equally true to say the dark heart of the city itself is an equally important protagonist.
  • May 16, 2011
    This is vastly different from the countless first- and third-person shooters and all the "me too" open-world games sitting on store shelves. All the things I've only read about in Dashiell Hammett novels, or seen in film classics like Double Indemnity, have all come to interactive life in L.A. Noire.
  • May 16, 2011
    It's a bold, cinematic step forward in a genre that's dying for innovation, and its implementation of the MotionScan technology is truly a game-changer.
  • May 16, 2011
    On paper, LA Noire sounds like an open-world sandbox fused with an interactive movie, but in truth, it's so much more. It's groundbreaking, effortlessly engaging and utterly sublime. To miss playing LA Noire would be a heinous crime. Simply put, it's a work of unbridled genius.
  • May 16, 2011
    It is not perfect, and each player will find his own vices and virtues, but we don't remember many projects with such ambition that comes so close to perfection.
  • May 16, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a revolution in videogaming, both in technological and narrative terms. Its peculiar structure won't make it accessible to everyone though, as the more action oriented players will have to comprehend its sometimes cryptic and episodic structure to fully appreciate the mix. It's still largely recommended to every player out there, since ignoring it would mean losing a fundamental step forward for videogaming as a rich and noble entertainment form.
  • May 16, 2011
    The content isn't much more graphic than your average TV cop drama (apart from the occasional nudity), but it's heavy subject matter for a game, and Noire plays it surprisingly straight, with very little of the wry humor that characterizes most Rockstar releases.
  • May 16, 2011
    You really should play L.A. Noire: it's an adult, interesting and engrossing experience that deserves your attention as well as your money.
  • May 16, 2011
    One of the most important games I've ever played.
  • May 16, 2011
    A stunning technical achievement but also an evolutionarily leap in adult storytelling and intelligent action gameplay.
  • May 16, 2011
    LA Noire is the next step in the process that is blending movies and videogames. Players don't interact with characters, but with digital actors, admiring the most thrilling and exciting screenplay ever created for a videogame.
  • May 16, 2011
    L.A. Noire's absorbing investigations and intoxicating sense of style make it an unforgettable journey through the seamy side of the City of Angels.
    A disappointing level of freedom then, a choice of either hand-holding or hardcore clue hunting and a typical Rockstar lull in the middle is what holds L.A Noire back from being absolute genius. Thankfully the experience, the story and the characters do more than enough to entertain during the simpler gameplay points in a way that no game has previously.
  • May 16, 2011
    At times, L.A. Noire is one of the most vivid, gripping game experiences I've had. Other times, it can be plain boring. As in much noir fiction, the truth lies in the gray area between those two extremes. It's an adventure I won't soon forget, filled with characters as fascinating as they are flawed – a bit like the game itself.
  • May 16, 2011
    L.A. Noire may not reach the emotional heights of a game like Heavy Rain, but it's something everyone must try out. It reaches high and almost succeeds as a brilliant new type of video game narrative.
  • May 16, 2011
    L.A. Noire is undoubtedly a foray into a new kind of adventure game, and most specifically of investigation games. Beyond the technology, which is not perfect but still breathtaking, its a brilliant example of actors' talent and humanity, both at the service of gameplay. With polished writing and a tight plot, and well-described atmosphere, it's easy to overlook some of its shortcomings in order to dream of the future it gives a glimpse of. A title that we'll remember years from now. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/la-noire/critic-reviews

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Metacritic does a good job of this as well: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/la-noire/critic-reviews  That being said, I'm looking forward to this game.

[quote user="doomsoth"]

Metacritic does a good job of this as well: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/la-noire/critic-reviews

[/quote]

Um yeah? I copied and pasted it for lazier folks..which is why I put the link at the bottom....

jus read the first few reviews & and gotta say that's pretty impressive; the praise this game is getting.  From reading the reviews you would think its a must own game.  

yeah and no waiting for the reviews until release day. proves it's a game they are happy with.

Game is going to kick quantum singularity. It also proves that not all games need multiplayer.

When it comes to LA Noire, I am not even following the review scores. I know 100% that I want this game. The only thing that would keep me from getting this game is if I see or hear the words "virtually unplayable" in the review.

[quote user="Manhandler"]When it comes to LA Noire, I am not even following the review scores. I know 100% that I want this game. The only thing that would keep me from getting this game is if I see or hear the words "virtually unplayable" in the review.[/quote]Well even if you were following reviews, it seems you would still be getting this game. Since the reviews have been pretty positive. No surprise there, though. Reviewers don't give Rockstar games bad scores.

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

[quote user="Manhandler"]When it comes to LA Noire, I am not even following the review scores. I know 100% that I want this game. The only thing that would keep me from getting this game is if I see or hear the words "virtually unplayable" in the review.[/quote]Well even if you were following reviews, it seems you would still be getting this game. Since the reviews have been pretty positive. No surprise there, though. Reviewers don't give Rockstar games bad scores.

[/quote]

I would say that's because they're always quite impressive. Even though they're recieving all the praise Rockstar didn't develop this one, Team Bondi is the developer. Rockstar is the publisher.

www.ign.com/.../la-noire-video-review

Video review from IGN. Even though I've seen the facial expressions 1000 times they're still amazing. Man I can't wait to get my hands on this.

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

[/quote]

Manhunt and Manhunt 2 didn't exactly receive the most positive reviews and nor did GTA I or GTA II (GTA III is really when they became a big name) and, on a personal note, I was never a fan of Midnight Club, but I'm very excited about LA Noire, which wasn't developed by RS, only published.