Kinect update not great...

After waiting for weeks for this update, I am not impressed. After playing around, I realized it is easier to press a button than keep giving voice commands and not have anything happen. Sometimes it responds, other times it only shows the microphone in the upper right corner, and says try again. One of the things that is changed is the characters special ability. For example, I am playing a Khajit, to use night vision, I pressed the R bumper. But now you have to hold that to make a voice shout. I tried to give a voice command for night eye, but nothing happens. I disabled the kinect commands. Like I said, it just easier to use the buttons.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I dont have kinect and have no intention of getting, at least not for a while....

This really doesnt surprise me though. I couldnt see the benefit in a game like this where voice would be as reliable and accurate as pressing a button on the joypad.

What with different accents it must ne much harder for voice recognition than pressing a button, where it means exactly the same, no matter what language you speak.

In a more positive light though, I am sure that as developers get more familar and Tech improves, the kinect will no doubt begin to show its true worth, at least with voice commands....

what I find a little annoying is that I have to download and install a 38mb update, even though I am never going to use it... Yes, I know, I dont have to download it and I can play offline... but this is fine, just so long as I dont want to chat with friends whilst I'm playing.,.. not a complaint as such, more of an irritated observation...

I agree on most points, not all. I also cannot figure out how to get Powers to work! It is upsetting. I also do not equip things with it.

-

There are certain things that actually work very nicely in the game. Shouts are easy to use, if not a little slow. Ally Commands are quite good. I like saying what I want them to do rather than going through dialogue. Sorting items is also really cool.

-

Not for everyone. There are some really pointless things included. I knew that it would be either just okay or not good at all. It is pretty good though. I have tried everything and so far only the things that I thought were going to be good are worth using.

Why do they waste the time to making this gimmick instead of doing something that everyone will want:  Fix the Glitches!!!

Hopefully, they will be all fixed (keeping fingers crossed and hold breath ...) before the summer release for the DLC!

It was a good concept but it is sort of a pain. I can't assign anything to hot keys, which is really frustrating. The shouts work OK though and it is better than opening the menu and assigning them.

Sounds like the same things I heard for Mass Effect 3.  Kinect  may be fun for kids, but it doesn't really have a good uses for M rated games.

-           

My guess is they got a kick back from Microsoft to develop the Kinect feature.   Didn't they already strike a deal to get the DLC first?  I only say this because with how well the game sold it wouldn't make sense for Bethesda to say to themselves 'hey you know what will really drive sales?   Kinect intergration"

-

Just seems like Skyrim now using Kinect benefits Kinect way more than Skyrim in terms of generating sales/interest.  So, I don't see why Bethesda would spend of bunch of time and money making a feature only available to people who play on one and the many platforms the game is on.   And even then most of those platform users don't have the hardware needed(or care) to use the feature.   Only one reason to, because Microsoft is paying you too.

-

I think they've done a pretty good job of clearing up glitches by now though.   I haven't experienced anything in quite a while and most of the old ones have been cleaned up and work fine now.   I was even able to Companion's endless morning glitch fixed which I, long ago,  thought was hopeless on that save.

-

Of course there are still some.   They'll never fix ALL of them.  Fallout 3 and Oblivion still have a few glitches.   Heck some of Skyrim's glitches have been around since Oblivion.  Just the nature of the engine and game being made with it.

Once i figured out where certain commands work etc i have had no problems getting kinect to work great. I have my hotkeys assigned and my spells and shouts work great and I love not having to stop the game in combat to switch weapons and shouts and spells. So I am on the other end but I love it! Ex: I was attacking Fort Sundgrad and called in my dragon then hit some fools with my bow then when a group rushed me i switched to my sword/freeze spell all without stopping the game. Golden.

I found that you can not assign weapons / spells to words in the main menu you can only do it through the favourite menu you bring up by pressing up or down on the d pad during gameplay, took me ages to realize this lol -_-

Hamsters!! I freaking love you.  Thanks for the information as you've saved my controller's life.

Glad you don't have flail your arm's around like a dumbass.

Once I learned how to say all the shouts and commands right i dont have any problem at all getting it to work with the kinect! Maybe you are saying them wrong or not loud enough, also if there is to much background noise the kinect will have a hard time picking it up what you are saying! I love the update, much quiker to get through the menus,maps etc. also I never have to pause combat to switch from a bow to a sword and shield,spells etc this update is the best one so far.