Kinect Support Coming to Skyrim - SWEET!

Found this link on my FB page:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aKZHJZfUGs

I hope it is as cool as the video looks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Indeed....Finally a reason to own kinect.  I'm so excited for this update.

Looks pretty awesome.  Can't wait to see how it actually works though.

What does that have to do with the Kinect???

All they showed was someone talking ... no hand motions.

Couldn't they do the same controls with a mic?  (Hope they do!)

No... this has got to be some kind of lame late April's Fools day joke. Reminds me of BioWare and their whole 'Mass Effect 3... Better with Kinect' campaign. With the Kinect feature for that, it was used solely for the voice recongition part, and even now people are still having problems getting it to work properly.

Also, SargonParidius, myself and others said about using the Headset as well for Mass Effect 3.... the reason (we were told) that the headset wasn't used, was for time constraints as well as financial and talent. To create a voice recongition software of their own for the game, wasn't possible on their end, and with the Kinect and it's onboard VR software being readily available, it was far easier (cheaper and quicker) to take advantage of a gimmick.

I honestly don't see it being used in a practical application either. I mean, would you run on the spot, hours on end, just to move your character ingame? Or swing your arms and legs around, fighitng monsters ingame, but in your living room, trying not to kick your dog/cat/sister/brother/mother/father/wife/husband/child in the face?

This is just a PR stunt to bring people over to using a gimmick. No more, no less.

Maybe Beth should concentrate on fixing the existing bugs before trying to create new ones.

This is cool news. I really liked the Kinect integration in ME3. I liked speaking my dialogue options rather than using the controller it was a bit more immersive. I was going to wait for the GOTY edition for Skyrim but I will pick it up when this patch hits.

I'm not counting on Beth to do anything right anymore. They have what they call a marketable game and thats what we get. All their doing is their typical confuse the masses marketing ploy again. They add to a game and we buy into it thinking they have fixed something. They haven't fixed anything. The new addition of VR will be fun, but don't expect any old fixes to get done.

Not one of my Bethesda Games has EVER completed without a glitch or an occasional lockup. Not one!

[quote user="Deaths Head 200"]

No... this has got to be some kind of lame late April's Fools day joke. Reminds me of BioWare and their whole 'Mass Effect 3... Better with Kinect' campaign. With the Kinect feature for that, it was used solely for the voice recongition part, and even now people are still having problems getting it to work properly.

Also, SargonParidius, myself and others said about using the Headset as well for Mass Effect 3.... the reason (we were told) that the headset wasn't used, was for time constraints as well as financial and talent. To create a voice recongition software of their own for the game, wasn't possible on their end, and with the Kinect and it's onboard VR software being readily available, it was far easier (cheaper and quicker) to take advantage of a gimmick.

I honestly don't see it being used in a practical application either. I mean, would you run on the spot, hours on end, just to move your character ingame? Or swing your arms and legs around, fighitng monsters ingame, but in your living room, trying not to kick your dog/cat/sister/brother/mother/father/wife/husband/child in the face?

This is just a PR stunt to bring people over to using a gimmick. No more, no less.

[/quote]It's not being used to move; that would be stupid.  Attacking is the same deal.  If you're already using a controller to move, why wouldn't you use it to attack as well?  Not to mention that people play Skyrim for many hours on end and I don't want to be flailing my arms around for eight hours, not to mention that you'd have to be standing the entire time because of Kinect's limitations.  And I think any voice commands used with Kinect should work with a headset, but whatever.

That being said, Mass Effect 3 didn't need Kinect because all of its functions were already assigned to a button, and I can press a button faster than I can say something.  Skyrim doesn't have that luxury, and Kinect actually seems to fix the tediousness of the favorites menu by letting you quickly switch weapons and spells in real time (provided you actually remember all of their names).  And unless Bethesda fixes those issues for those of us with controllers (and provided the voice recognition works well), then Skyrim might actually work better with Kinect.  It might even work better than the PC version; the PC version has hotkeys, sure, but the interface isn't exactly tailored to PC gamers.  Doesn't mean that I'd buy Kinect just for Skyrim, but it could use Kinect functionality more than Mass Effect 3, and the way that Bethesda is making use of the peripheral is at least more productive than a bunch of minigames

And you have to admit, being able to say dragon shouts sounds pretty cool

[quote user="AngelusTenebrus"]

I'm not counting on Beth to do anything right anymore. They have what they call a marketable game and thats what we get. All their doing is their typical confuse the masses marketing ploy again. They add to a game and we buy into it thinking they have fixed something. They haven't fixed anything. The new addition of VR will be fun, but don't expect any old fixes to get done.

Not one of my Bethesda Games has EVER completed without a glitch or an occasional lockup. Not one!

[/quote]Honestly, I give Bethesda s*** about a lot of things (more for Fallout 3 than The Elder Scrolls games), so I think it counts for something when I say that glitches have never really been one of them.  I mean, yeah, they're annoying, and getting a corrupted save file always sucks (which is why I always back up my saves).  And yes, I wish that all developers could purge glitches from their games.  But I've never really been fed up with them to the point that they ruin my experience with a game and cause me to lose faith in a developer.  Hell, it's a miracle at all that I still buy Bethesda games at all post-Morrowind (post-Daggerfall even), and it's not because they've all had glitches

I think the common misconception people have is that any new game by Bethesda will have little to no glitches (or at least a substantial amount less), and then they're obviously disappointed when the game has its fair share of glitches.  But RPGs and RPG-like games are pretty complex, and when you make one that's as big as Skyrim, you're bound to run into technical hiccups.  I get it's a new engine, but that still means having to deal with new technology, and thus, not having as great an understanding of it.  And it's not like this is just relevant to this generation or even last generation of games; it has been happening to RPGs for a long time.  But the genre has remained afloat because most people at least expect glitches, and as a result, aren't as upset when they appear.  Hell, Daggerfall had a glitch that literally prevented you from completing the game.  If people cared that much, or at least didn't find that the pros of the experience outweighed the technical problems, Daggerfall wouldn't be a highly acclaimed classic and Bethesda would be out of business

My point is though, yes, glitches are a problem; if I were to write a review of a game, the technical issues would certainly detract from the score.  And honestly, I do believe Bethesda gets off easy with glitches in their games.  There are some far superior games that are no more or less glitchy than Bethesda games, but get lower scores from reviewers than Bethesda games because reviewers focus more on glitches in those games than in Bethesda games; that's biased journalism.  But they've never been more the a nuisance and shouldn't be the focus of one's attention and a major stab against a game (unless the game is quite literally broken or unplayable).  But to lose faith in Bethesda, let alone any company that makes games like Bethesda, because they have glitches that you should fully expect is a little much.  If you're going to lose faith in Bethesda, do it because their writing has deteriorated, or their character creation systems are more streamlined, or some other story or gameplay-related reason.  But not for glitches, as in all of their games, the rest of the experience has far outweighed them (and believe me, I'm saying that with Skyrim being the first Bethesda game I've really liked in a while).  You should always, ALWAYS fully expect glitches in Bethesda games (or any RPG for that matter), and while you shouldn't give them a free pass, you also shouldn't let them get in your way

Good god what next.  Did MS continually bug Bethesda to support their crap gimmick.  Maybe they should fix the bugs instead of support crap like Kinect.  Im surprised they never kept this news until E3..