Kinect RTS

I was thinking the other day about how #$%& kinect is. That same day i was thinking " the one thing i miss now im a console gamer is RTS's". then i dawned on me... WHY ARE THERE NO RTS'S IN DEVELOPMENT WITH KINECT CONTROLS. it would be the ultimate way to draw the hardcore crowd to kinect. they even have the finger pointing recognition now. i personly think it would be awsome and if i could play company of heroes with kinect, i would blow my next pay check on it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't think its that responsive. Then again I've only seen the painful videos of Kudo Tsunoda playing that star wars game.

I think it could work and it'd be really cool. The Kinect seems responsive enough for this from what I've experienced.

i saw a demo from E3 where a guy was like drawing lines etc with his finger, so it should be responsive enough. Instead of click and drag to select an army you cound like draw a circle around it. it would be like learning sign language at first lol, but i can see the hardcore crowd getting into it. i believe this could be the future of RTS [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVBzx0LMNQ]

bump

While an RTS may be cool with the Kinect, it'll be too dumbed down like End War and Halo Wars (err, I may have that title wrong).

As an RTS fan, I find both of those titles incredibly boring and slow.

You can't make an RTS fast paced on a console.

There are great limitations on how fast you can send out orders with just gestures and hand signs.

In those titles I listed above, base building was pretty much cut out or incredibly simplified.

Those games focused more on unit control to cut  down on the things the player needs to keep track of.

Also the battles are more like one big massed army vs. another massed army.

Micro managing is too difficult.

Yes, these games are limited by the controller, but you can't beat the tips of your fingers with gestures.

Using the Kinect may slightly improve the RTS genre for the Xbox, but it'll never be worth getting.

Crikey, couldn't edit to add in more.

Anyway, here are some other issues with the Kinect.

The precision of the Kinect being able to interpret your movements is an issue.

Yes, it's good, but it's not that good.

When you need to act fast, you can't fully make defined gestures all of the time. Things will get lost in translation.

Also in RTS games you generally have to order units to move just inches across your screen or even less than an inch.

Can you make sure that you can point that well and send out an order so that the Kinect can see it?

Also the speed at which your body can make things happen is another limitation.

For having to point at a large screen with your arm/hand takes more time than using the mouse to navigate.

In a real RTS game it takes only half a second for you to lose too much; the gameplay for a console RTS with Kinect will still be too slow.

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]

While an RTS may be cool with the Kinect, it'll be too dumbed down like End War and Halo Wars (err, I may have that title wrong).

As an RTS fan, I find both of those titles incredibly boring and slow.

You can't make an RTS fast paced on a console.

There are great limitations on how fast you can send out orders with just gestures and hand signs.

In those titles I listed above, base building was pretty much cut out or incredibly simplified.

Those games focused more on unit control to cut  down on the things the player needs to keep track of.

Also the battles are more like one big massed army vs. another massed army.

Micro managing is too difficult.

Yes, these games are limited by the controller, but you can't beat the tips of your fingers with gestures.

Using the Kinect may slightly improve the RTS genre for the Xbox, but it'll never be worth getting.

[/quote]

As an RTS fan I enjoyed Halo Wars, But End War was a bit meh. I liked the fact that a lot of the missions on Halo Wars felt ,like two armies clashing rather than lots of mini squads clashing around the map.

I would really like the old PC game Myth: the fallen lords to be released on Arcade. that game was incredible fun

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]it'll never be worth getting.[/quote]

That's quite and absolute statement. Are we supposed to just trust your opinion on this or do you have some profound insight into the future of motion controls?

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]

Crikey, couldn't edit to add in more.

Anyway, here are some other issues with the Kinect.

The precision of the Kinect being able to interpret your movements is an issue.

Yes, it's good, but it's not that good.

When you need to act fast, you can't fully make defined gestures all of the time. Things will get lost in translation.

Also in RTS games you generally have to order units to move just inches across your screen or even less than an inch.

Can you make sure that you can point that well and send out an order so that the Kinect can see it?

Also the speed at which your body can make things happen is another limitation.

For having to point at a large screen with your arm/hand takes more time than using the mouse to navigate.

In a real RTS game it takes only half a second for you to lose too much; the gameplay for a console RTS with Kinect will still be too slow.

[/quote]

I saw at e3 that they have improved kinect to the point that it can pick up finger movements now, i think that kinect would deff be able to cope. i think your forgetting about  voice commands as well, they would play a massive part (although im not sure how good kinect is regarding voice commands).

Yeah its gonna be hard, there will be a steep learning curve with this,  which is a good thing i think. maybe your right, maybe the wii-u will finally tackle this gnre

I would love a good RTS.