Kinect-Are we being watched?

One of the reasons I unplugged my Kinect was it gave me an uneasy feeling.Every so often I wuold pass through the living room to see its roaming electric tracking my every step.It did this even when I wasnt playing games.Why was it following me.What did it want from me and what kind of data was it recording and  transmitting over a global network? And who might be on the other end receiving this data.It felt creepy.I know I had my privacy setting set so it wasnt supposed send data but I sometimes still wonder.It records audio too so thats another thing to be concerned about.What do other people think? Are you concerned about your privacy?  

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You know what you should do? Wear a tinfoil hat shaped like a boat. I suspect you might do that already, though....

Well, when you open the shower curtain, and see your Kinect on the table... best call a priest.

OP, you have two solutions;

• Unplug Kinect

Or

• Adjust Privacy Settings for Kinect

Doesn't bother me at all. If MS wants to see a hairy black guy everyday then so be it. In fact, I am flattered.

Buy a munch of mannequins.

OP- you could always just get rid of your kinect if you're concerned for your privacy.

lol thats funny..but if you were doing something illegal..(not likely i would) dont you wanna feel safe..i know microsoft is a reputable company but that doesnt mean they cant have some unscrupulous people in their offices

[quote user="LOWxONxHealth"]

lol thats funny..but if you were doing something illegal..(not likely i would) dont you wanna feel safe..i know microsoft is a reputable company but that doesnt mean they cant have some unscrupulous people in their offices

[/quote]

Is it about safety? Or are you comfortable with the possibility of random strangers having a potential eye on you (regardless of their intent)?

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't worry too much about kinect spying on you; it just doesn't have anything worthwhile (games!) going for it at all. That would be reason enough to get rid of it....

I think both.Not only am I concerned about my safety and privacy I worry  that a lot of parents might be out of touch with todays technology and not be aware that the Kinect video and audio are enabled by default or that they have the option to change the settings.I myself was unaware until a Kinect game stared uploading a picture of me acting  out something from the game.This problem not only poses a threat to unsuspecting gamers but to Microsoft as well.I can see where this could lead to a national scandal or even lawsuits against Microsoft in the future that could tarnish the xbox brand.We all know Microsoft is watching us..But who's watching them?

[quote user="LOWxONxHealth"]We all know Microsoft is watching us..But who's watching them?[/quote]Careful when you use the word "we".