Jaguar XKR or Dodge Viper ... take your pick.

Which one would you rather own?

Jaguar XKR:

Dodge Viper

I ask this because I feel like once I get older and have a near three-digit income, I'd likely get one of the two. They're pretty comparable in price, and they're slick looking sports cars.

For me, this is almost impossible to answer. They're two of my favorite cars ever that are somewhat-almost-reasonably priced (As opposed to something like a Ferrari or Lamborghini is what I mean).

If all else fails, I can settle with an M3 or M5.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would like an Audi TT, speaking of cheap, you can get  used one for 15k.

[quote user="Zeke656"]

america dont do manual so they? lol

[/quote]They sold manual for like 1-2 years here, but no one bought a straight drive Mercedes. Here they aren't sports cars, but luxury cars. America's market didn't want manual.

Companies are going auto because A. They shift faster B. are able to save more gas with cvt and C. Cheaper to manufacture then manuals and easier to maintain. The autos on ferraris and lambos shift faster than a blink of an eye, along with Porsche and Mercedes. This is why I buy older cars and will never buy a new car that doesn't have a manual option, I just get too bored with autos since it doesn't keep my hands busy.

depends on how you plan on driving it. if youre looking for something to roll around through the iron jungle and barely feel a pothole, get the jag. its more comfort oriented then the viper is, especially going through large cities. it wont have the omph the viper will, but its a much more well rounded car. if you live far from city limits in a more suburban area and plan to do a lot of track days and hardly ever go into the city, get the viper.

!00% agree bro.

ild go for the Viper just because thats my favorite car that il never have because im from the uk :(

I would rather have the new 2013 Viper. The older ones are fun to drive in game and sound real. Nothing like driving a real one but I would still pick the Viper even the older ones.

LOL, I'll be honest.  One of my neighbors has a Focus that is absolutely bonkers.  He bought it and immediately put it in his shop.  Added an after market suspension, brakes, rims, the whole bit.  He also added a small supercharger to it.  I haven't seen it really do any running but hearing it go down the street... it sounds like it can move like the wind and it doesn't even sound like a suped up lawn mower, it's actually throaty.  Go figure.... some dudes just know how to do it up right.

I'm already older so I guess I would like the three-digit income. (Probably the jag)

I'd go for the Jag, myself...I prefer its understated performance as opposed to the "in your face" persona of the Viper (which is still a great car, just not really my style).

That being said...you better hope you have a very well-paying job, and don't have a lot of other financial responsibilities (student loans, rent/mortgage payments, family/putting kids through school, etc.)  A "near six figure" income might get you enough to pay for one of these if you are very careful with your money, but you also need to take into consideration the cost of ownership...insurance premiums, maintenance and repairs, property tax depending on where you live, cost of fuel...it quickly adds up to a lot more than "just" the roughly $100k price of admission.

That's all assuming that you're looking to buy new...if you're considering used models, that of course opens up more possibilities.  Still...let's consider an example.  Even if you're looking to buy something used for, say....$75k...let's say you've got a total of $20k between cash and trade-in value saved up for a down payment, and you want to finance the rest.  Take an average sales tax of about 8% or so, an interest rate of 4% (give or take a few tenths), and a loan term of 72 months.  You're looking at an average monthly payment that's very close to $1000/mo.  Even if you're making "near six figures", that's a lot of money for just a car.  Depending on the area you live, and what other things you need to spend your money on every month, you likely won't be saving much, if anything at all, for the 6 years until your loan is paid off.

Sorry, not trying to rain on your parade (even though I guess it sounds like I am)...just trying to give you an idea of what you're going to be looking at, when the time comes.