Item Cloning and Conversation with Microsoft Rep

Let me set the stage.  I completed the game in normal and TVHM and had only managed to snag two orange items.  I've been farming Hunter Helquist at the Hyperion Truth Network for almost 3 days with no luck on the Bee shield.  So, I decided to try to farm for the Baby Maker in Tundra Express, Madam whateveer her name is.  After my 3rd attempt I got the Baby Maker.  I told my buddies about it and they inquired about cloning it for them.  So, I checked the web, YouTube, etc., to find out what the deal is.  Well I did.  It didn't look like the process could violate Xbox/Microsoft's Terms of Use, but per an Xbox Customer Service rep, it does.  Violation's, if discovered, could lead to suspension of your online account, and/or, ban of the Xbox unit from accessing Live.  From the rep:  "Any form of exploit to do something that is not originally intended to be possible within a game is a violation of the Terms and Use and can result in an enforcement action against the offending account".  I double checked and asked the rep if he knew what I was talking about within BL2 specifically, and he did.  Back to farming for me.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

i'm going to assume your posting this so everyone can know the bottom line on duping, but i seriously hope you aren't endorsing this farming BS we have to do in order to enjoy the best part of borderlands which is having the best loot. I know gearbox made the game and we didn't and if i don't wanna play it blah blah, but seriously anyone who played borderlands 1 can not prefer fighting some minor boss over and over to get one specific weapon as opposed to finding them consistently through the game.  I never even thought of duping stuff between the people i played with in the first one as i knew something good was right around the corner.

I suppose, technically, it might be against the ToU, but you'd have to be overly stupid to get caught doing it.  What I mean is, bragging about it, sending out messages, stuff like that which draws attention to yourself/gamertag.  If it's just you and your friends, well, they have no way of knowing and/or banning you.  People lose their internet connections from time to time and that would cause you to "drop out" of a game, there'd be no way to prove you were "duping" or just had an unfortunate internet problem.

I think nearly all xbl borderlands players have duped or being duped for at some point cant see mass suspension on the cards but its worth knowing the risks non the less

Don't understand the point he is trying to make but duping has been around since BL1, people need to get over it and enjoy their own game instead of criticizing how others play. It's mind boggling how worked up some get over these things.

Just like people complaining bout the bee shield then they nerved it

^^ Yep!

[quote user="SASQUASH1984"]

Just like people complaining bout the bee shield then they nerved it

[/quote]

yeah...I hate when they nerve my favorite items

The question that we should all be asking is why hasn't gearbox tried to fix it yet? Is it even fixable? Besides, there is really no way of microsoft knowing that you are duping. Unless somebody tells on you. Even then though, that would not be enough because microsoft needs proof and it will be hard to get. Personally, i really do not see it as an exploit, i see it as an unintentional glitch that is within the boundaries of the game. Just like the treasure room glitch and the glitch some people use to defeat pete the impossible.

Exactly, if duping was such a big issue would Gearbox not have fixed it in the first game and surely fixed it in the 2nd? In that light one can raise an argument saying that gearbox knows about the glitch but they don't see it as a glitch? Such a confusing subject lol.

They definitely know about it but it is not a big deal, at least not worth the headache of trying to stop it. The crazy thing is that there is already a fix for duping... If you don't like it then don't do it, don't accept dupes, kick those from your game that dupe or simply set your games to private. It's actually pretty much common sense but that's not easy to come by now these days.