Is using a Credit Card safe?

To save myself the time of having to ride my bike to the store every time i want renew my membership or purchase microsoft points, i've asked my mom to use her credit card on the xbox live marketplace to purchase them, but she is hesitant on using it because she wants to know if it is safe to use her credit card online. Could you tell me  if it is or not?

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2018 Views 2,139 Applies to:

It certainly is safe but I would still stick to pre-paid cards for membership and points as they are often cheaper than what is available on the console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It is safe, but as voteDC said, it's often cheaper to buy them from retail shops.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your credit/debit card information is most certainly safe so long as you read and follow Xbox LIVE Account Security:  http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/how-to/account-security.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

And what about the accounts that some guys sell. (they sell points, but not just point that you could add to YOUR account, but the whole account with some ammount of points).

What about these accounts.. there could be some card infos in details that could be stolen by these hackers who stealing accounts.. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

There are a limited number of ways anyone can gain access to your account:

-you give out your personal information including e-mail and password (this is most commonly associated with people trying to obtain an illigitimate rank in a game without actually earning it)

-you are phished (this is common amongst the free ms points/generators that you see offered around the internet)

-you are socially engineered (this happens when a player engages another in seemingly senseless chit chat about their lives, but turns out to be a 20 question
session trying to gain your personal information so they can steal your account)

-you use an unsecure PC (typically you will want to have your encryption turned on if using wireless and be running a good anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-
malware program as well)

-you use the same e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you use for other websites/services (for maximum security you should be using an
e-mail address and password just for XBL that you do not use anywhere else)

-you thought it would be a good idea if your friends/family knew your log in information (you know, in case they want to play)

In addtition to the above the following are ways someone can get a hold of your credit/debit information:

-if you don't shred your mail (bank/credit statements) before you bin them.

-if you shop online using an unsecure PC.

-your bank/credit institution security is compromised (happened a few years ago to several banks)

Those account you see for sale on eBay/Craigslist are there because those people were careless with their log in information. Had they practiced good account security they wouldn't have lost those accounts.

Sorry this didn't help.

none of the above! :) thanks. now i can calm a bit.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it okay if you have PayPal or MasterCard

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, adamX4915! It is perfectly safe to have either of those, especially if you keep everything said in this thread in the back of your mind. This thread is almost 4 years old. If you need assistance with any other support issues, please post up a new thread detailing that you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)

Sorry this didn't help.