Is this a must-have, or still experiencing growing pains?

I had Battlefield 3 pre-ordered and paid in full... until I played the Beta. The gameplay itself was awesome, with the exception of the fact that it seemed like Operation: Metro was built with Call of Duty players in mind. I felt that if that was the best that EA could give us a month before release, then it might be in my best interest to place my money on a different game rather than wind up with another $63 bug-fest (I'm looking at you, Brink and Dead Island). I want to give BF3 a chance, really I do, considering all the fun times I had with BF2 back in a simpler time. But then I remember all the bugs I came across in the beta (Which is the whole purpose of a beta, I know) combined with all the issues people still seem to be having, mainly the connection issues.

I won't bore everyone with a huge wall of text when I could just say "I'm still on the fence with this one...", but I would like to know. Does the game run smoothly (Read: not terribly buggy) to merit me buying it now, or should I wait for a few weeks, for example when the pre-order DLC is released to the public, and then pick it up?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

apparently metro is fantastic as a conquest map , it could be frustrating as rush at times. The connection issues will mostly be server overload and it always happens , they NEVER get it right but it'll get sorted , i expect us in th UK will be experiencing the same issues come Friday

[quote user="Archst3r"]

apparently metro is fantastic as a conquest map , it could be frustrating as rush at times. The connection issues will mostly be server overload and it always happens , they NEVER get it right but it'll get sorted , i expect us in th UK will be experiencing the same issues come Friday

[/quote]

Come Friday I will never play Metro again, LOL. I don't get it till Friday living in the UK, However I have been hearing that BF3 is still a little buggy at times, but no where near as bad as the beta was. But all games have bugs and they are not perfect on day one, BF3 as we all know is now using a brand new engine and there's going to be issues, I'm expecting it to have bugs.

Connection issues & servers have always been bad the first few weeks of a Battlefield or EA title release, but after they iron out all the issues the servers run better then any other FPS on the market.

It's not as buggy anymore, no more falling through maps, that weird neck extension prone, squad issues have been improved(You can now pick and choose which squad to join in game), visuals also improved tremendously with the HD texture pack, the list goes on. Only major issue at the moment are the servers, they crash every now and then because everyone wants in on the multiplayer at once.

It will have to do......

don't be too surprised, we played metro more than anything and it's the full map. another blunder they did, was not limiting or turning off metro for one week.  let us play the other maps.

your 5th title and 6yrs later are not growing pains, Ea/dice do not care

You really are not missing anything new, it is a fun game but I really see no huge difference with this ''exaggerated'' Frostbite 2 engine everyone is talking about.  

-

I do admit however that I am enjoying the Campaign.  Not sure if it is because finding an online match is/was impossible yesterday, which I guess is part of the Pre-order incentive I never knew about, AWESOME, but it is interesting.  They basically talked to Hollywood and Activision for their action sequences.

[quote user="The Holy Pie"]

I had Battlefield 3 pre-ordered and paid in full... until I played the Beta. The gameplay itself was awesome, with the exception of the fact that it seemed like Operation: Metro was built with Call of Duty players in mind. I felt that if that was the best that EA could give us a month before release, then it might be in my best interest to place my money on a different game rather than wind up with another $63 bug-fest (I'm looking at you, Brink and Dead Island). I want to give BF3 a chance, really I do, considering all the fun times I had with BF2 back in a simpler time. But then I remember all the bugs I came across in the beta (Which is the whole purpose of a beta, I know) combined with all the issues people still seem to be having, mainly the connection issues.

I won't bore everyone with a huge wall of text when I could just say "I'm still on the fence with this one...", but I would like to know. Does the game run smoothly (Read: not terribly buggy) to merit me buying it now, or should I wait for a few weeks, for example when the pre-order DLC is released to the public, and then pick it up?

[/quote]

Hey, Holy Pie...I started writing an answer for you, but it turned into a 700 word story...so I figured I would put it on my website so everyone can read it.

Here it is, let me know what you think..

http://fastharry.com/?p=4506

It's great game, there is so much going last night. We had 3 tanks, 2 jeeps,2 plains, and a chopper. All with in view and crap was blowing up all round. I saw no frame rate slow downs. Also the jets flew vary smooth, not a glitch to be seen. I do not know what people want. This game is great. Plays great and looks great sounds great!

I wrote a review yesterday of my initial impressions and I said I was let down. Well yesterday evening I adjusted the game brightness, and sat down and played for several hours. I must say I am now thoroughly impressed. Flying the jets is intuitive and easy to get the hang of, and they pulled the jets off better than I could have even imagined. Its almost as good as Ace Combat, dog fighting in this game feels like Top Gun. It is a great game and a must have. I am singing a different tune after playing longer. It sounds and looks like the Back to Karakand expansion pack might have some of the classic vehicles like Apache Gunship and Abrams IFV, and whatever else from the past. There is plenty of diversion in unlocks and progression, you can go a hundred different ways. The gameplay is fun and rewarding, just go to the objectives. Check the map before you spawn for vehicles, and spawn on a squad to get right in the action.

Nobody buys this game for single player. Frostbite 2.0 is all about the completely destructable environments in multiplayer. Ever since I put it down last night I have been thinking about playing it still. i am going home at lunch from work to play it.

Okay so I gather that most people are basically trying to say "It has connection issues, but it has the potential to be a great game. Get it, and either deal with the issues or play Campaign until they're fixed"

So I'm off to Gamestop to do just that :P