Is There Enough Time For A Beta?

They need to go ahead and release the beta or else they aren't going to have enough time to get any significant feedback for changes that need to be made in the final version.

The Call of Duty 4 beta began in late August 2007 and finished late September 2007. Call of Duty 4 was released in early November 2007.

Granted, Call of Duty 4 isn't the best example since Activision couldn't care any less about player feedback, but a good beta is released AT LEAST a month before the final release.

If DICE isn't releasing the beta until late September/early October, which is very much possible if they only just now submitted the beta to MS/Sony for certification, there really won't be enough time. A game needs at least 2 to 3 weeks from going gold to copying enough discs to shipping to retailers. The game releases October 25 and I guarantee stores will get it at least a week in advance. Do the math.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think its more of a server stress test than a beta.

Correct the Alpha was the test to make fixes for release. The Beta is a stress test for servers so hopefully we don't deal with server crashes the first week again for the fourth time. Also they CANNOT use the "we were not anticipating this kind of response to the game" excuse like they did for Modern Combat and BOTH Bad Companies on release day.

You know you could of posted in the other Beta threads you've created. Like this

But like the others have said, this beta is more like a stress test on EA's servers. It goes the same with the BC1 and BC2 demos. Most "betas" released on consoles are stress test on their servers. They may fix a few bugs and glitches but what's a better way of getting a lot people hyped up for a game and testing it the same time? Release a "beta".

[quote user="Unseen 5hadow"]

Correct the Alpha was the test to make fixes for release. The Beta is a stress test for servers so hopefully we don't deal with server crashes the first week again for the fourth time. Also they CANNOT use the "we were not anticipating this kind of response to the game" excuse like they did for Modern Combat and BOTH Bad Companies on release day.

[/quote]

Also 1943... Oh and 1942 slugged a bit too, aswell as BF2, BFV,BF2142

I agree its a stress test.  The alpha beta was the public opinion.  Were just the left over chop liver just being the weight of the servers.  Doubt DICE will even make a appearance either.  I want there dog tags so bad!  Demize blocked me on twitter cause I said that.  lol

Too late for any real changes at this juncture, short of dealing with server issues....which we KNOW will be present with any EA title. :-(

At the very least if there are server issues we have coop and campaign to hold us over.

I think "Beta" is the wrong word. What we're really getting is a "Demo". BFBC2's demo,iirc, launched a month before release and then was shut down a week before release. And despite the massive popularity of that demo, they still "didn't expect" server crowding.

My guess is the demo will be announced sometime next week.

DICE have confirmed that they have made about 100 changes to the Beta since Alpha test, they also said there will be a first day patch. However with or without a Beta BF3 will not be perfect on day one and will take weeks before all issues will be addressed and fixed.