Is it too soon for another Dead Space game?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the idea of there being DS3 I'm just wondering if it will feel rushed. I mean, DS2 released Jan 2011, so when DS3 drops in Feb 2013 that'll make it slightly over 2 years difference. Is that too earlier to not feel like the game is being rushed?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There was barely over a 2 year grace period between 1 and 2. Oct. '08 to Jan. '11.

Definitely not too early, it's plenty of time. Not to mention I'm sure they started on 3 soon after 2 was released.

Two years is not rushed at all.  No way whatsoever.  I would say it's perfect.  Gave them ample time to make the game and not rush it to the shelves.  Now my goal is not to argue with you OP, but simply to make a point.  I see the most recent game you've played is MW3.  The Call of Duty games are the perfect example of games that are rushed to the shelves.  They release a new COD game about once a year.  Does MW3 make eight games in the series?  I've played them all up to B OPS.  Just got burnt out after that.  Many people say they rush them out with not much changed because they know they will sell well.  Many people said MW3 didn't really do anything different.   I would argue if you don't have a problem with how often the COD games are released (1 a year) and paying for the Elite COD service or whatever it's called, a third DS2 game being released in double that amount of time.. shouldn't matter much.  Now hopefully this doesn't turn into a COD vs. DS2 thread, but we shall see.  Point is I find someone who approves of how often they release COD games, meanwhile not sure double the amount of release time in another game is a good idea, a bit strange.

Edit:  I don't know if the OP even has the Elite service, but my point still stands.  Two years for development sounds perfect to me compared to other games out there.  If they started releasing DS games once a year, THAT'S when I'd be concerned for their content.

Call of Duty's are staggered between two studio's, so each version has about two years of development time.  I think 2 years for any game is about as short as you want to make it.  Thats given you have ample resources. I dont know how big Visceral is, but they did a great job on Dead Space 1, a great job on DS2, so I hope they continue the trend into DS3

Interesting.  Two years is fine.  People are going to speculate the worse regardless.  They did an amazing job with DS2.  I felt it was significantly better than DS1.  From everything I've read and seen, DS3 will be superb.

EA has a reputation of applying pressure to its studios to get games to the marker before they are really ready, and they only truly become "ready" when the first patch hits.  I think people are going to be extra critical of DS3 because we have seen tand been told through press releases/interviews (Kotaku digs this stuff up) that DS3 is geared more towards the action shooter genre than the survival horror of the first game.  So, people are going to make a bigger deal about that than it most likely will be., therefore extra critical of the game itself.  

The only reason 2 years is even a viable option for production is because the games often reuse resources, and most likely the writing has been more or less done for a while now.   There would be no way in hell DS3 would be doable in 2 years if they were starting from scratch.  

[quote user="barnacle bowler"](Kotaku digs this stuff up)

[/quote]

There's your problem. That site is atrocious. Either extremely late with factual news or early with a rumor that stays a rumor and dies.

Im aware that some is fluff, and some is factual.  When the studio is the source, I tend to think it err's on the factual side.  

here's an article that basically sums up some of my initial reservations.  

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-wants-dead-space-3-to-appeal-to-a-broad-audience-229567.phtml