is it just me or are the japanese geting more creative then western developers?

so recenly i watched the lolipop chainsaw trailer along with anarachy reigns(now before you roll yours at these gotta  consider their made by top notch developers suda and platinum)not to mention that i (obviously)played catherine. it suddenly came to me that thejaps seem to be surpassing us in the creativity area.now, before you egg me to death consider the following what western games(that isnt a sequel or  arcade) have you seen recentlly that made you say"wow thats insane"?p.s i know its off topoc but how do you qoute on these forums?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

But none of these are very original. Lollipop Chainsaw could be considered a Cel-shaded Onechanbara rip. Anarchy Reigns, an open arena brawler, is just offering what Iron Pheonix attempted years ago. Even Catherine, was beat by ilomilo, given that's an arcade game, I feel it's a more comfortable name drop then to mock Catherine by saying Qbert had it beat by nearly 30 years. Heck they both have coin collecting ^__^.

Okay so that last one was a low blow. My only point is that the basic gameplay mechanics and setup for these games has been done before. While their presentation holds a modern and more unique combination of elements, they aren't unprecedented either.

Never the less those games do look fun, and I'm having a blast with Catherine at the moment. I really haven't seen much of anything to be released lately or coming soon to really break the mold or offer something truly ground breaking.

In the past 10 years, I'd say maybe 3 games come close. Halo for redefining console multiplayer. Portal for it's unique puzzle mechanics, and Fable for offering new levels of morality options to RPG's.

They are not "getting more creative".  They have always been more creative.  The JRPG's Square and Enix brought out for the NES in the 80's (they were separate companies at the time) shows that creativity can be successful for them in the western market.  Games like 'Vib Ribbon' on the original Playstation shows that creativity doesn't always go down as well in the western market.  

The thing is that the Japanese publishers give the developers scope to try something different, which sometimes works, and other times don't.  Western publisher prefer to keep to a formulaic format which they know has worked in the past.

I might play them if it didn't look like a 12 year old girl drew them.

No its def. you.Japanese arent creative they are just weird.

Just because Japanese Developers do not make a FPS one after another doesn't mean they are "creative". They still emulate each other for their "own type" of Games one after another. They're just different to begin with, not more "creative". 

Look how many JRPG's are out, doesn't seem too "creative" after all does it? They're just a different mindset for Games to begin with and nothing more.

[quote user="Varakharne"]Japanese arent creative they are just weird.[/quote]I'm interested in knowing why you think this.

^^  My guess is that it has a lot to do w/ how they showcase men and women in the majority of their video games.   Men always come across very effeminate, whereas girls tend to show a lot of skin while always appearing to look 14 years old.  I remember feeling slightly creepy while playing FF13 and looking at Vanille.

[quote user="Eggnogga"]<SNIP>[/quote]Possibly. Either way, it just sounds like a case of cultural indifference to me.

[quote user="Fullmetal1986"]

[quote user="Varakharne"]Japanese arent creative they are just weird.[/quote]I'm interested in knowing why you think this.

[/quote]I have my reasons but then I've had first hand experiance for 10 years.

[quote user="Zen Like Calm"]

They are not "getting more creative".  They have always been more creative.  The JRPG's Square and Enix brought out for the NES in the 80's (they were separate companies at the time) shows that creativity can be successful for them in the western market.  Games like 'Vib Ribbon' on the original Playstation shows that creativity doesn't always go down as well in the western market.  

The thing is that the Japanese publishers give the developers scope to try something different, which sometimes works, and other times don't.  Western publisher prefer to keep to a formulaic format which they know has worked in the past.

[/quote]QFT.