Is FM4 too much of the same?

I'll keep this post short and sweet, since I'm at work. First, I've been a big fan of the Forza franchise since launch day of FM1 on the old Xbox. I probably spent well over 500 hours on that old game and then played both FM2 and FM3 as well, having gotten the full 1,000 achievement points for both respectively. I guess I've easily logged a combined total of over 1,000 hours of play time with the franchise.

-

Now that's out of the way, I'm a bit disappointed with FM4. I mean, I like the tweaks to the physics i.e. steering, tire flex, suspension etc and the graphics look great but this game just feels like FM3 with a new skin and a few more bells and whistles. I was tuning my first car last night and saw that the parts were all the same still, which I can kinda understand since there are only so many parts you can buy for a given car but also the after market wheels were exactly the same. It was like wheel shopping in FM3. I wanted more to be different I guess. This brings me to my biggest grip. The tracks! Seriously, as if I didn't race the same damn tracks enough over the last 5 years!There's only a few new environments and I'll bet the house that they will introduce more "new" tracks as DLC in the future. Well, I wont be buying any of it. I spent my $80 on the LE edition already.

-

I still like the game and no doubt I'll spend a ton of time playing it. Forza is still, despite themselves, my favorite racing franchise of all time. I just expected "more". I wanted a new experience, like they promise in their slogan. What was it they said again? Was it  "A new driving experience"? Yeah, don't try to convince me it's new by using a slogan that tells me so.

-

p.s. What's up with no Porsche in the game? And no, RUF isn't Porsche as far as I'm concerned. Did they lose the contract with Porsche?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is definitely my favorite franchise for racing, hands down Turn 10 is the best. I also had the same reservations and at times it does feel the same as previous versions especially with the some of the same tracks.

Even though it does feel the same, I'll support the company and buy the next version as long as the reviews are good and general game player reviews are good too. One franchise I will never buy again, Test Drive Unlimited...Atari really messed up with that one!

Porsche isn't in the game because (except for the RUF) of licensing with EA. They have sole exclusive rights to Porsche. From what I understand is that they attempted to ink various deals with EA but they refused. Maybe later on they can come up with some agreement and do a DLC.

I agree, this game is the best racer anyone will ever play until Forza 5, but they really do need some NEW tracks (more than 2-3) Im very satified with the cars though, Already bought 2 tokens to get my LFA fast lol.

ya, i just want new tracks. love how they brought back all the same cars tho.. love it!

Ahhhh...I simply love the LFA! I'm going to save up for mine. Gonna be a while though since I just started. I've also read that earning cars is pretty easy in the game. Winning a car after a series of races and you get to choose from a few, which is pretty cool. So eventually you may get to choose the LFA? Maybe not spend the money on it? Idk...we'll see. Happy racing!

I'm liking the game but it seems like they just added all the DLC cars from Forza 3 and made everything prettier, to me there isn't enough NEW stuff just a polish on the old. Oh well

Sorry to hear that you're somewhat disappointed, Harry.  Hearing this from you, I'm glad that I chose to wait.  This is definitely looking like a "several months down the road, Ultimate Edition" type of purchase.  I've still got plenty of events left to finish in FM3 in the meantime.

So, it's not just me I take it. lol

-

In Forza 3 I never bought any cars or tuning upgrades until I was about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way finished with the single player races. I'll probably make it a long way into this game too without buying a new car. I'll get upgrades now though, since they're free once you gain an affinity level of 4 with a given manufacturer. In fact, last night I upgraded and tuned the old T Bird. Turns out, it's actually not a bad car and it looks cool as shizzel!

[quote user="Trippul G"]

Sorry to hear that you're somewhat disappointed, Harry.  Hearing this from you, I'm glad that I chose to wait.  This is definitely looking like a "several months down the road, Ultimate Edition" type of purchase.  I've still got plenty of events left to finish in FM3 in the meantime.

[/quote]

It's still good Trippul and I like the changes that they've made. They just didn't change enough to make it feel like more than a well polished, more fully fleshed out Fm3 that has more bells and whistles. It's a great game and I do like it but don't expect them to reinvent the wheel with the latest iteration in the franchise.

I was kinda hoping they would bring back some of the old tracks like Rio De Janeiro and Blue Mountain Raceway but instead they removed the New York tracks.  I love the game but I'm tired of the same old tracks.  I was also disappointed when I went to buy rims and saw alot of the same old stuff.  They moved alot of D class cars into C class and some of them really don't compete very well in C class.  I used to complain that C class was too small but I don't think this was the proper way to change that.  They also took alot of C class cars and moved them into B.  You can't even buy a Subaru now unless you want it in B class or above.  I actually miss the D class and C class Subarus.  However, the overall car selection is great.

Yeah, I still love the game and I'll put alot of hours into it but I really don't understand some of the decissions that were made during developement.  I also kinda feel like we didn't really get our money's worth out of the LCE edition this time.  I would have rather they included the season pass in the LCE instead of that pretty book.  When I spend 80 bucks on a game I am generally reluctant to buy DLC for it too.  Just my 2 cents worth.

I would agree entirely about the tracks. I miss Rio, Blue Mountain, Alpine Ring, Tokyo and the New York Long tracks all on FM1. And yes, I hate the book idea. I don't give a rats buttocks about some "book" being included with my video game either.