Is Black Ops for 360 Region Free?

I live in Europe with my US 360 and i was thinking buying the Black ops here but dont know will it work on my US console!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The American (NTSC-U) and the Asian (NTSC-J) of COD: Black Ops is region free.  I can't find any information on the European (PAL) version of the game though.  You could buy a US version of Black Ops from a US website.

Yes, the game is region free. All recent Call of Duty titles have been, as far as I am aware. Be careful about downloading Black Pps' DLCs though, because I know they can pose certain problems for people with copies from different regions. Other Call of Duty games will be fine though. I suggest renting the game to confirm it (I only checked a thread on another forum), in order to ensure the game does play. While I do trust the information I'd still confirm it before paying for a game. :)

[quote user="Zen Like Calm"]

The American (NTSC-U) and the Asian (NTSC-J) of COD: Black Ops is region free.  I can't find any information on the European (PAL) version of the game though.  You could buy a US version of Black Ops from a US website.

[/quote]

According to this thread on GameSpot, the PAL version is also in use in Australia. One of the posters says he can play it on his Japanese NTSC console. It should hopefully work. :)

Kool thankyou everyone Appreciate it!

K kool!

I read somewhere that Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 were also region free i just ordered it so im hoping i didnt waste my money , Region Free means Pal works with US systems right?

Be aware that you may have an issue getting the Black Ops DLC. In order to get region restricted content you must meet all of the criteria, if you don't you won't be able to get it.

Account Region+Game Disc Region+Physical Live in Region=All must match

US+US+Eu=Denied        US+US+US=Access    

Since you don't live in your account region you would need to create a new account with your current region selected, then add ms points to it (from that region) and download the content. So long as you don't change consoles the other profiles on it can share the DLC, avatar items excluded of course.

Also, if you live in a non-Live supported region you won't be able to get any region restricted content, at all.

Oh i see yea i live in Croatia right now and theres no Live Support here.... so your saying if i buy the Black Ops ( PAL ) i can create a new account lets say UK and just download the new maps then Switch back to my American account and theyll be on? and i just ordered Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 ( PAL ) i read they are region free so should work.

[quote user="HoStiLiTy909"]

Oh i see yea i live in Croatia right now and theres no Live Support here.... so your saying if i buy the Black Ops ( PAL ) i can create a new account lets say UK and just download the new maps then Switch back to my American account and theyll be on? and i just ordered Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 ( PAL ) i read they are region free so should work.

[/quote]

I wouldn't try it. There's no guarantee you'd be able to use them due to the conflicting permissions of the console, with it being NTSC-U and the game being PAL. You could try it but I would not recommend it. Even if it did work it could cause you more hassle in the future. For example, if you bought a new 360 console or something it could conflict.

what you mean conflict? and for the black ops DLC would that work if i just make an account from UK and download the mappacks and use it on my US account?

[quote user="HoStiLiTy909"]

what you mean conflict? and for the black ops DLC would that work if i just make an account from UK and download the mappacks and use it on my US account?

[/quote]

I mean it might cause some issues. If you used a UK account to download the maps, a US account might not have the right permissions to access the content. Unfortunately, the Black Ops DLC is really confusingly set-up. I wouldn't risk it, but you're welcome to try it if you want.