Is A Russian Enemy Really Cliched?

Most games still have Russian antagonists even though the Cold War has been over since 1991.

But, in the case of BF3, is Russia as an enemy really cliched?

Although many consider the Russian Federation to be an incompetent government with an incompetent military, here are some interesting facts to take into account.

First of all, over the past decade, the Russian military has been building itself up, with little to no media coverage.

The Russian Federation boasts a military of 21,781,000, including reservists and paramilitary, and it's the largest military in the world in terms of personnel. Source

Also, even though they are supposed to, the Russian Federation often disregards the Geneva Conventions, meaning they are often more brutal than most Western militaries. Just take a look at Spetsnaz Alpha Group.

What do you think about Russia as an enemy?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

SO Is most Modern FPS cliched?

Realistic, possibly. Fictional, it seems like developers just go, "should we make a plot, or just RUSKIS INVADE!?"

Cliche, very much so. But it's just more fun to have two superpowers go at it in a video game. The US citizens know that, the Russian citizens know that.

-

Plus I like Russian guns more, they're cooler. VSS Vintorez and AS-VAL. I mean c'mon.

[quote user="dual skorpionz"]

Cliche, very much so. But it's just more fun to have two superpowers go at it in a video game. The US citizens know that, the Russian citizens know that.

-

Plus I like Russian guns more, they're cooler. VSS Vintorez and AS-VAL. I mean c'mon.

[/quote]

I was actually able to fire an AS-VAL recently. Very nice, but my favorite Russian firearm will remain the AKM.

I think it's pretty automatic. You want two military powers with their own unique and complete arsenals of weapons and vehicles? The U.S. and Russia are basically your default choices.

P.S. With the sheer amount of resources in Russia it was only a matter of time until it started to rebuild and rearm. I know that Russia is the European Union's main supplier of oil and natural gas, so they must be importing a nice amount of cash.