Installing to HDD kinda looks like...

Crap..

Lol, I tried installing Dirt 3 to my HDD for an example because I had heard that installing causes the game to run smoother, faster and look better haha, it loaded faster and seemed a little smoother but the graphics looked noticeably more pixelated and just kinda worse.

I think i'll just stick to running off the disk like I always have. Also I have the 250 Gig HDD slim so I know its not my HDD.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I install my games to work around scratches later on. My copy of Borderlands doesn't read well at all (resurfaced after the infamous circle scratch), but I borrowed a friends copy and installed it & it works fine. I've never experienced any minuses when playing from installed games.

The only effect that installing or not installing can have on graphics is object/texture pop-in. Otherwise, it mostly just improves load times and ensures the DVD drive isn't spinning. I've also seen stability improvements, better framerates, and fewer or different errors, but never a graphical difference.

[quote user="bentleyma"]

I'm pretty sure installing a game doesn't affect the graphics.

[/quote]

In some cases it's possible that installing could have a detrimental effect. I'm not sure if it could affect the graphics. I don't think it would, but I know Project Gotham Racing 4 is better when not installed. If you install that game it distorts the in-game sound, such as the car's engine note and the music. I have never seen it happen with any other game, but having tried PGR4 when installed, it really is an issue. Halo 3 and I think Halo 3: ODST also shouldn't be installed. Grand Theft Auto IV and Battlefield should be installed though.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

A lot of games run better installed for me. If I install my games my xbox doesn't sound like a bowing 747.

[/quote]

This is the main reason I install games to my HDD. I can't stand how loud the 360 is if the game isn't installed onto my hard drive. I don't even really care about the load times. I always have my laptop next to me while I am gaming, so when it is time to load something up I just turn to my laptop and surf the web or post on here while I am waiting.

Have you tried other games? Gta4 runs so much better with it installed.

I'm pretty sure installing a game doesn't affect the graphics.

A lot of games run better installed for me. If I install my games my xbox doesn't sound like a bowing 747.

It's a night and day difference for RTS games too. It lets the Xbox handle large numbers of units much easier.

Graphics I've never seen affected by an install. Sluggish framerates yes, install can help that. I install all my games I'm playing at the time just to cut the time down but I've had my 360 Slim for over a year now and even when I run it with the DVD drive it's still quiet so no problems there. Some games is best to never install like Halo 3 or Left 4 Dead. L4D is best run from the DVD drive.

A Game Install should never effect the Graphics one way or another. The only thing it does is help Load Times (which will vary Game to Game) and keep the Console cooler and quieter.

The only Game that was recommended not to Install was Halo 3 Retail (not the MP/ Halo 3 ODST Disc), as Bungie wrote the  Code to perform at it's best from the Disc for Halo 3 Retail only.

On a side note, the only Game that has no Install Support is DOA X2. It can only be played via Disc.