Installing texture pack on 4GB slim's flash memory

I have the slim 4GB which uses flash memory instead of an HDD, so does anyone know if it is worth installing the 1.5gb texture pack on flash memory? or would it 'stream' too slowly compared to an HD? Only bother responding if ya know what you're talking about...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My understanding is that the seek time of flash memory is faster than a normal hard drive, internal memory that is. External memory, say from a USB stick, will be slower than a normal hard drive due to the USB 2 interface slower speed. So the streaming from internal memory should be as least as good as from a normal hard drive. Not sure if this will be affected by the other disk content being read from the disk however. Note that you likely won't have 4 GB memory free, some will be used for system files etc. Suggest you go into the memory area in the interface and check your available memory.  If you have enough free, it won't hurt to give it a go. In the longer term, I recommend you get the official hard drive (now 320 GB). It is great for downloading content (DLC, demo's etc) and installing the games. Installing the games ensure that the disk doesn't keep spinning. Therefore, the console will run quieter and cooler and quite a few games actually run better as well (less load times etc).

I have fully downloaded GAMES on USB sticks that I use all the time with no problem.

Having your flash drive full will not affect the performance of your xbox.

There use to be a Video that had the differences between a few different Drive Types and their respective times. It was actually kinda funny, some Drives not Recommended by the Dashboard Format actually performed faster then the Licensed SanDisk Flash Drive.

All of them overall were pretty negligible between actual Performance Speeds.

yeah and since its streaming I suspect there may be an issue but im gonna try it and let you guys know.

I've tried it and no go. The HD texture pack will not install on anything but an Xbox 360 HD. So, no 4GB slim, no external flash or HDD, must be a HDD that is designed for the 360.

Wow...it won't install on the 4GB slim? That sucks! :(

Yes, it does not install on the 4GB or on an external flash or HDD. It requires a proprietary MS Xbox 360 Slim HDD. I have more than enough space on the 4GB internal flash of the slim and it gives me the same error.

Really now, I own 4GB Slim myself and a 4GB USB. You think they will give ya the option if you have the space.

If it doesn't work it may be some type of security loophole. I remember when they came out with the 512 MB onboard memory for the original white systems, if you had your profil on the memory you could not have the system automatically login to that account at boot.

It may be some type of security concern to prevent pirates from getting around the security messures built into the system. I could be totally wrong on this, but what ever the issue hopefully they can bring out a patch to fix it for this game