Installed games will not play without disk

I read the instruction manual front to back and found nothing on details of installing/playing a game and how this works.

I 'assumed' that if the game is "installed" on the hard drive, it should be playable from the game library. So after loading 8 games onto my harddrive to take to a party, when we tried to play them it said, "please insert game disk". I did not bring any game disks, because all the games were "installed". If the disk is needed anyway, why do we bother eating up hard drive space for games? What is the purpose of the "install game" option, if it won't play without a disk?

Confused

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

The install option is there if you want to reduce wear and tear on the drive or want things to load in faster. You need the disc as an anti piracy measure, if you didn't there's very little stopping someone from installing games to their HDD and then returning the games to retailers (ergo free games).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well of course this is not what I wanted to hear (but did expect it). Glad I only invested in a 20GB instead of a 250! I only bought the drive to run games from it.

With the software out there, disk images can be burned easily. They could do the same by just allowing the game to load and using a product key to run it, or just link it to the console ID so it can only be played on that particular console!

Just sayin.... ;-)

Thanks for the clarification though!

MS User since DOS 2.0
Netware CNA/CNE
Windows Insider since 2015
#1- Win 10 Pro V.1803, B.17713 and STOPPED
#2- Win 10 Pro V.1803, B.17751.1 and GOING!
Lots of new features. Lots of bad issues too!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.