Insanity: Squad Cryo or Geth Shield Boost HELP!

Ok, I'm a soldier on insanity, and I'm wondering what you guys think I should do:

I'm thinking of getting squad cryo, but to unlock that I would have to give up significant points in Disruptor Ammo (which I don't mind btw, I'm doing all of the geth/mech missions first), and I wouldn't be able to get the 10% weapons boost that my bonus power, Geth Shield Boost, offers, because I would need some points from there as well.

So basically, my question is, as a soldier on insanity, which would be more useful: Squad Cryo, or the 10% weapons damage bonus that Geth Shield Boost offers?

Thanks - I've been mulling this over with a few friends, but can't figure it out.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Personally I think that the Geth Shield Boost would be the better option.

I think that the Cryo Ammo is a waste of time on Insanity because it does nothing to protections and on that level every enemy tends to have them.

Ive only played as an Adept on Insanity, and the Geth Shield is a must for me.  Cryo ammo is one of the better ammo powers in my book. For Disruptor ammo, I usually max this out on Zaeed, and choose to give it to the whole squad. Perfect for Geth Levels.  Id say the benefits of cryo, are better than the extra 10% weapons bonus.

Finished Insanity as a Soldier using the 'Fortification' power often, the Cyro ammo is my favourite ammo, I never grow tired of shattering the enemies like glass...:-)

Honestly, using Geth Shield Boost - or Barriers or Fortification - on a Soldier is kind of an unnecessary overkill. Most of the time you should be firing from Adreneline Rush, which gives you more than enough of a damage boost - and if you pick Hardened you take 50% less damage anyway.

Squad Cryo is really useful, even on Insanity, as long as you use it correctly. You a going to want to equip it to your squadmates weapon with the heighest rate-of-fire to increase the chances of them freezing an enemy.

e.g.

If you equip either Zaeed or Thane - with the 50% weapon damage boost from their passive ability -  with the Incisor sniper rifle and Squad Cryo ammo they can normally freeze any standard trooper in two 3 burst rounds.

I always max out Squad Cryo when playng a Vanguard (don't play much Soldier) and it's great fun watching my squad freeze enemies left & right while a shatter them with Charge.

How in any way shape or form is cryo ammo useful? We've disagreed about this before Schuey and I still don't know how you can say it is a good option.

Cryo ammo does nothing to protections, so having it upgraded as a squad ammo is a waste of time. By the time protections are down, and even before really, squad inferno ammo would be a far better choice. Not only does that affect armour but also distracts enemies by setting them on fire once they have no protections.

Anyway, slipping off there a bit. So since cryo ammo is ineffective against those with protections, going for the improved shield boost which has extra damage is a much better choice when used in conjunction with adrenaline burst.

Then again I feel they completely nerfed cryo-ammo from the first game, so I may be biased.

[quote user="voteDC"]How in any way shape or form is cryo ammo useful?[/quote]This isn't footage of me LINK, but it does highlight just how effective squad cryo ammo an be on Insanity.

Cryo can actually be a better option the Incineration, because some enemies can still attack you when they a affected by fire damage (especially YMIRs, Primes, krogans etc...), but nothing can attack you when it is frozen, and because frozen enemies take double damage, you should always have plenty of time to shatter them.

[quote user="voteDC"]

How in any way shape or form is cryo ammo useful? We've disagreed about this before Schuey and I still don't know how you can say it is a good option.

Cryo ammo does nothing to protections, so having it upgraded as a squad ammo is a waste of time. By the time protections are down, and even before really, squad inferno ammo would be a far better choice. Not only does that affect armour but also distracts enemies by setting them on fire once they have no protections.

Anyway, slipping off there a bit. So since cryo ammo is ineffective against those with protections, going for the improved shield boost which has extra damage is a much better choice when used in conjunction with adrenaline burst.

Then again I feel they completely nerfed cryo-ammo from the first game, so I may be biased.

[/quote]

I completely agree that Inferno ammo is the best ammo power on Insanity.  With regard to the OP's question though, I also agree that shields on the soldier are a bit unecessary.  I wouldnt agree that cryo does nothing at all against protections, but inferno is by far the best. All ammo will cause some damage, even if minimal. 

That aside, as Squad Disruptor and Inferno ammo's are easily obtainable from other squad members, shields being unecessary, Id go with cryo.  Its easily the most fun out of all the ammo powers.  However, I dont play soldier, never have in ME2.

A weaon with cryo ammo does no more damage to shields, armour or barriers than a weapon without it. Cryo ammo only comes into its own when shields, and indeed the other protections, are down.

Now perhaps I should clarify a little more. Squad cryo ammo is next to useless on Insanity because it is almost impossible for all the enemies to have all their protections down at once.

It is a far better choice to have inferno, warp or disruptor ammo set to the squad level and then switch cryo on for Shepard, if you must use it, once an enemies protections are down to shatter the guy. This lets your team-mates continue to strip the protections from the other enemies in the area.

In regard to the video I'm not seeing the great use of squad cryo ammo there. Rather the squad using their powers to take down protections and then Shepard coming in with 'heavy' inferno ammo equipped to a shotgun to take them down.

Indeed how many of the enemies even got frozen before Shepard killed them and how much quicker would Harbinger have gone down with squad warp ammo.

Like you said, we've already had this debate before and clearly our stances haven't changed regarding the merits, or lack-there-of, of using Cryo ammo on Insanity. I only ever play on Insanity, and I use it often to great success.

As for the video, like I said it wasn't footage of me playing just put it up as an example.