Indy Games; I have to be connected to Live to play them?

I do not understand this at all. Why is it that you have to be connected to XBOX Live to play the Indy Games for download? If you paid for them, what's the big deal? I took my 360 to a friends house to show him some of the cool games and he has no internet connection so we weren't able to play the games because it tries to make you connect before you can play them. What gives? What happens when Microsoft finally pulls the plug on 360 support through LIVE? No more playing these? That sucks because, I know they are cheap, but when you buy a lot of them, the totals add up. Is this it or si there some kind of update I am missing? This is why I refuse to buy Final Fight for my PS3 because I don't necessarily want to have to be connected to PSN to play my games . . .

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

It's always been that way with Indie games. I'm not sure why though.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It has to do with the ESRB.

The ESRB charges a game developer $800 (read that again: EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!) to rate a game. Now, EA and Activision use $800 to blow their nose on, but most indie developers don't have $8, let alone $800, just to spend on having a game rated.

Online components are NOT required to be rated by the ESRB, as it isn't the developer's fault that the to-be-suspended gamer just used bad language. So, by requiring the games to go online, they can classify then as "online-only" games and avoid an ESRB fee of $800.

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess that makes sense. At least it's an answer. I just hope that down the road I can still play these as the 360 seems to be able to log onto LIVE without paying for it, unlike the original XBOX. I don't mind helping the indy developers out with some cash, but I want to own the games, not have long term rentals. LOL. Good stuff though.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you and thank you this answers pretty much all my questions too...

Sorry this didn't help.

Now that it has been a bit of time since I posted this and have had experience with Indie games elsewhere, this isn't cool. I have an Ouya. I know, I am not trying to say the Ouya was amazing or anything like that, but they have many Indie titles on their system with no ratings and I don't have to be hooked to the internet to play the games. At this point, especially since the 360 is coming to the end of it's lifecycle, they should unlock the Indies section because I have spent quite a bit of money on idie games and am going to be pretty irritated when the system is locked out of LIVE permanently and I can no longer play those games. I know it's only a do9llar here or $2.49 there, but it adds up,k especially when you look at the fact that I am a hardcore supporter of the Indies section. I am interested in getting a ONE to see what they do there, however, if they lock me out of being able to play the games offline here now at the end of the 360, I just may skip it all together because it seems like a waste of money in the end, especially since I haven't beaten half of the games I paid for and downloaded yet. There are games like the Decay series, as an example, or Battle High I would really still like to be able to play years do0wn the road and wont be able to anymore. I also don't feel I should have to rebuy them again on the new console just because I can't play them on the old one because Microsoft cancelled the 360 from LIVE. Seems kind of unfair to me.

Sorry this didn't help.