Industry needs to "grow up"

So says this dev---link

I agree that games are very similar lately. Not all, but most.

Here are some of his quotes;

"I think we should have more courage in our industry and take more risks, because I think this is what the industry needs now," Cage said. "I mean, how many first-person shooters can you make? How many monsters/aliens/zombies can you kill in games? There's a moment where we need to grow up. We need to grow up." 

And another bit;

This is not the first time Cage has called on the industry to branch out. Last month, the developer claimed the industry would die without innovation, further noting that while shooters will "always be successful," new ideas will benefit the business. 

I really agree with the second statement. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I want more first-person shooters so that I can kill more monsters/aliens/zombies. That's just me though.

They supply demand.  People must like the same crap since they continue to sell more every year.

[quote user="brandiesel1"]

So says this dev---link

"I think we should have more courage in our industry and take more risks, because I think this is what the industry needs now," Cage said. "I mean, how many first-person shooters can you make? How many monsters/aliens/zombies can you kill in games? There's a moment where we need to grow up. We need to grow up." 

And another bit;

This is not the first time Cage has called on the industry to branch out. Last month, the developer claimed the industry would die without innovation, further noting that while shooters will "always be successful," new ideas will benefit the business. 

[/quote]If they reduced the cost of gaming, companies could take more risks, but due to greed, they charge way too much thus making it harder for the gaming community to buy something that is not tried and tested...

[quote user="brandiesel1"]

So says this dev---link

And another bit;

[/quote]Yeah I agree with the second statement too.

At first I thought he meant we need more 'mature content' in games... but he just wants less FPS games.

-

I like shooters, so that doesn't bother me.

I don't think industries will branch out though. I've never seen an industry go from one genre to the next because someone wanted them too.

More new companies need to start getting in on this if they want a big change.

Got a great idea for gaming?  Then get on it.  Don't sit around waiting for the big wigs to come up with it.

^^ I agree. The problem is, they're too scared of the risks. Look how many good games don't sell well because they try something a little different even when the game is decent.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Publishers don't want to take risks and consumers are really no better. Until one of them breaks the cycle, nothing will change.

^^ True. Consumers are too blame as well I suppose.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!