Indie games: Simple to make or retarded developpers?

There are so many horrible Indie games on XBL that it makes me wonder if they are really so simple that Anyone can throw one together? I tried to see what sort of software was needed to make something but I could not access that information without first paying for a programmers' subscription. I have very little programming knowledge but I'm sure I could put something together that's better than those 'massage', 'dating', 'wrong number' etc. crap!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

most indie developers dont try and just wants a lil bit of easy money. there are some games out there however that are amazing and XBLA worthy

The software you will need is to write a XNA Indie game is:-

• Visual C# 2010 Express (if your using XP then 2008 might be better). (C# means C Shape its the language that your XBOX can read).
  • XNA 4.0 Or XNA 3.1 if your using Visual C# 2008.
  • You will need to make sure that you have a minimum of DIRECT X 9.0c.
  • .NET Framework is you to date and that your SDK is up to date.

Both Visual C# & XNA are free to download and the Creators Club is free if your a student, but there is also a option to skip the payment when signing up. The payment is so you can publish your content. As your planing to learn the basics just skip payment for now.

http://www.downloadpdffree.com/ as loads of PDF tutorials and Creators Club also as tutorials.

NOTE: Learning to program is any language takes years to become a experienced programmer, You have to practice as much as possible and don't expect to have a game up and running in a week.

GOOD LUCK :) any more questions feel free to message me.

OP if they are simple to make you should try making one.

[quote user="Bad Instincts"]

OP if they are simple to make you should try making one.

[/quote]

Alot of people don't realize how much work & time is needed when designing games. Its not simple.

[quote user="NameMonkey Boy"]

The software you will need is to write a XNA Indie game is:-

• Visual C# 2010 Express (if your using XP then 2008 might be better). (C# means C Shape its the language that your XBOX can read).
  • XNA 4.0 Or XNA 3.1 if your using Visual C# 2008.
  • You will need to make sure that you have a minimum of DIRECT X 9.0c.
  • .NET Framework is you to date and that your SDK is up to date.

[/quote]I got these from the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).

Pay the $99 for your year subscription to the program and give it a go. If you are a student you can get access to all MS's programs and tools for free for a year, but with that plan you can not submit Xbox Games. You can submit WP7 Apps though, and it gives you every Dev tool they have to play around with it.

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]

I got these from the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).

[/quote]

Yeah you can use any of the two websites. Creators Club is part of MSDN designed for XNA application development. Creators Club is good, as there is loads of tools and support for writing applications for PC, Xbox & Windows Phone devices.

How are you finding Visual Studio & XNA?

[/quote]I only have them; I have never used them.

I'm no programmer.

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]

[/quote]I only have them; I have never used them.

I'm no programmer.

[/quote]

Ok. Learning the basic is quite easy and also fun. Its only when you begin to write more complex programs it becomes difficult. Why did you download them out of interest?

[quote user="NameMonkey Boy"]Why did you download them out of interest?

[/quote]I was interested :)

Just never enough to actually use them.