I'm having problems with Final Fantasy XI Online... AGAIN!!

Ok... Today I just got my Xbox 360 Slim Console returned from repairs (About three weeks ago, I was having problems with connecting to Xbox Live, which resulted in my having to send my console in for repairs), and today, after doing a update, I put the FFXI disc in the tray, closed it... the screen went to black as if it was reading the disc... then went back to the Xbox Desktop and threw up a error message telling me to download the game again. HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO EVEN DO A "Check file" ON THE INITIAL PLAYONLINE SCREEN, WHEN I CAN'T EVEN GET TO THAT SCREEN IN THE FIRST FRIKKIN PLACE?!?!

I pay $35.00 AUSD a month as a subscription fee to play this game, and after not being able to play it for three weeks I was rather anxious to get back ingame. Now... just like back with the November 1st update last year for Kinect, I'm having the same problem now as I was then with Final Fantasy XI Online. It took about three weeks after that update for me to be able to get back into FFXIO... so if I have to wait that amount of time again for this problem to be fixed, I have a feeling my account will be closed with FFXIO, meaning all my data etc either being deleted or stored on one of Square Enix's servers.

Can someone please give me some advice etc as how to fix this problem, as I have already cleared my system cache and I don't want to have to format my HDD and lose all my other game data. Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

The first thing I'd try, mate, is using a USB stick configured for use with Xbox 360, rather than the HDD. This will allow you to check if the HDD is the issue without having to format it. Now is this only happening with Final Fantasy, or is it happening in multiple games?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If the HDD was the issue, then I wouldn't be able to play other games. I've played Mass Effect 1/2, Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age II and others and they work fine, and as the console is not even a year old I don't think the HDD is the problem (If it was, I wouldn't be able to play any of my other games, right?). This exact problem happened once before after November 1st update last year for the Kinect and it took three weeks to fix until I was able to get back in FFXI.

I spoke to a person at Xbox Support on Twitter, and tried the suggestions he gave to try and fix this (ironically, the tips were the same as the ones I was given last November): Delete the update and re download, tried loading the game without the HDD in place. As FFXI requires the game to be installed on the HDD, the last one didn't work at all.

I even tried a friend's console, to see if FFXI would work on that. Soon as the disc was in tray and it was closed, it loaded up to the initial PlayOnline screen (as you do when you put the disc in anyway), so the disc does work. I even tried the FFXI Expansion Pack, Wings of the Goddess, disc and even that refused to load in my machine (but it loaded up the initial PlayOnline screen on my friend's console) just like before, right after the November 1st update for Kinect last year.

I don't want to format my HDD, as even doing that didn't work last year, so the chances of that working now are pretty low IMO. As the console was sent back to me from being repaired (Towards the end of last month, I was having a problem connecting to Xbox Live and after doing all the troubleshooting suggested on xbox.com/support, Xbox Support on Twitter/Phone (and none of them worked), so I had to send my console in for repairs to fix the problem. I can PM the Reference number if that'd be any help Mister Fitzer so you can see the file regarding it), I didn't think there'd be any problem with playing my games... which is true, except for FFXI.

Sorry this didn't help.

To be honest mate, it sounds like you've tested just about everything outside of the HDD. I do understand your reasoning--that other games work so the HDD shouldn't be the issue--however, if you're facing another console repair (which at this point it looks like you are), it certainly wouldn't hurt to try a thing or two with the HDD, just to be sure.

The easiest way to troubleshoot would be to use your friend's HDD on your console (preferably the one you installed it on already, to save yourself the waiting time). If the issue still occurs, then you'll know that the issue is for sure either your console or network. At that point, I suggest trying your console on a friend's network (if you haven't done so already) to be sure it's not a LIVE connection issue causing this failure. If all that doesn't do the trick, I recommend calling phone support to explain the situation to them and set up another repair.

What was the resolution last time you had this issue, last September? Was the console submitted for a repair then, too, or was it resolved without a repair?

Sorry this didn't help.