I'm curious....

why is it that everyone plays CoD?

I played MW2 (my first and only CoD), I thought it was a cool game. The campaign was action packed and fun (however brief). Spec-Ops mode was really nice, lots of cool challenges there. And it had some fun multiplayer....or you know, would have had one if it wasn't for the most frustrating respawn system I've ever seen in a shooter, campers at every corner, glitches without end, and cheaters in every other lobby you stumbled into.

To be more specific the spawning and campers really threw me off at first and I didn't like MP much, but since friends played I stuck with it, learned how to play best in those situations and made my peace with the MP. Then the glitch abuse and cheaters started popping up wihtout end. Again I stuck around expecting this would get fixed at some point...it never did.

Overall, I had some good times with the game, but I definitely felt like the developer didn't show enough care with its handling of the online component, and that to me is pretty off putting (also, $15 map packs...really? Are we as gamers that easy to swindle?).

Now because of these things I held off on a Black Ops purchase (despite all my friends running out and buying it) to sit back see how the game had changed. I read some reviews, asked my friends...consensus seems to be it's about the same game. Yet all my friends who had the same complaint as me about MW2 continued to play Black Ops, even though according to them very little had changed. I asked them why then? Why not try another online shooter? It's not like there aren't plenty to choose from after all, if there's a genre with options, it's shooters. None of them seems to have a great answer except "it's Call of Duty".

So I ask you now, assuming that since you're here a good majority of you are big CoD fans. What makes it so special that 20 million people will choose to buy this, rather than spread out across other shooters?

This year for example will see the release of Gears 3 and Battlefield 3. From what I've seen both of those game blow anything CoD has done in the last 2 years completely out of the water (in my own opinion of course), still I'm quite certain MW3 will handily outsell them. It just completely baffles my mind that CoD manages to trump sales record year after year on launch despite so little innovation (if any). Again, please don't misunderstand me, CoD is certainly good and hell even great when things are running smoothly. But surely it isn't good enough to deserve 20 million every year when there are so many other (and often quite arguably more deserving) games out there is it?

Also I realize I just went on a huge rant and if you beared with me through all that I appreciate it. I just want some thoughts from you guys as to what makes this game such a phenomenom.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It just grew big, and now if you don't buy it, all your friends will and you'll be playing your other shooter taking 5 minutes to get into a game and thinking to yourself you should have just kept the game. Personally i think your first cod should have been CoD: 5 or CoD:4. Dissapointing you got in late. But good you see it from a different angle.

I think that the easiness of the games is a major factor in why people play Cod. Minimal skill is required for online multiplayer. There are perks and weapons that can be used as crutches for new / bad players. Since you have these crutches, almost anyone can get on, play a round and get some kills. They still might get completely destroyed, but the crutches lessen the extent of their destruction by other players. (painkiller, anyone?) Killstreaks also contribute to this. A terrible player might manage to get a care package (or steal one). They could then get a chopper gunner and destroy everyone else. By having things like killstreaks and "crutch" weaponry and perks, bad players can have a funner time playing the game than they would have without them. It's this which makes the game accessible for many people of different skill levels to play. It's reaching out to the "casual gamer", which attracts a whole lot of people.

That's why I believe everyone plays Cod. Now, why people buy Cod games every year that have little innovation..I don't know. It's their money.

[quote user="Sly Ally G"]

This year for example will see the release of Gears 3 and Battlefield 3. From what I've seen both of those game blow anything CoD has done in the last 2 years completely out of the water

[/quote]

glad to see I at least got a couple responses, thanks for the input

[quote user="Hesse09"]

It just grew big, and now if you don't buy it, all your friends will and you'll be playing your other shooter taking 5 minutes to get into a game and thinking to yourself you should have just kept the game. Personally i think your first cod should have been CoD: 5 or CoD:4. Dissapointing you got in late. But good you see it from a different angle.

[/quote]

Wow, so many things wrong in a few short sentences.  Its amusing to think that if you dont play COD, its impossible to get into any other game online.  Homefront takes me a few seconds to find a match, BC 2 takes only a couple seconds to get into Vietnam or vanilla, MOH, a game that has 1000 players on daily, I can still get into a match within seconds.  COD isnt the must own game.  Its just an easy game that anyone can pick up and be good at.  Personally, I think everyone should have started COD with either COD 1 or 2, or even 3, its a shame YOU started playing COD so late, because the games before COD 4 were so much better, more balanced, better host migration and maps, better hitboxes, and no lame perks or computers in the MP.  Had to work for kills.  Everytime I pop BC 2 in or MOH and play it online I think to myself, man Im glad I dont play COD anymore.

My friends were on Xbox live a couple years before I got into it and the game they told me to get was COD4. I had a summer where almost every night we played that game. So naturally, I kept up with the series. I like it because I think its a good game, but its just a game my group of friends likes to play. That doesnt mean I dont play other games though.

it has the "cool factor" right now

its the same idea as "wow you never saw the Hangover what are you a loser?"

its gotten to the point where its "wow you have a 360 and you play fable 3 but not call of duty wow what a loser"

of course, going into the "Mainstream" always results in negative final products

EA knows people will buy the next Madden no matter what simply because it is Madden, developers have realized that people will buy COD simply because it is caused

at the same time, COD has caused a dozen of carbon copys now and innovation is lacking

Yes, it is true that Brink has several problems with it, but it is a fact that even if it was a good game and consistently received 8.0s and 9.0s it would not be heavily purchased because it is a new franchise, and is nothing like your "typical shooter" ala cod, battlefield, etc.

I loved playing crysis 2 for the first couple months it came out, but a. people had no clue how to play, and b. it did not have a heavy online community, im assuming because it is not something u were able to pick up on the first day and become pro at, cod is essentially pick up and play yet also the prestige of the hardcore community, although i feel as if that is decreasing

[quote user="Kramerllama"]

[quote user="Hesse09"]

[/quote]

Wow, so many things wrong in a few short sentences.  Its amusing to think that if you dont play COD, its impossible to get into any other game online.  Homefront takes me a few seconds to find a match, BC 2 takes only a couple seconds to get into Vietnam or vanilla, MOH, a game that has 1000 players on daily, I can still get into a match within seconds.  COD isnt the must own game.  Its just an easy game that anyone can pick up and be good at.  Personally, I think everyone should have started COD with either COD 1 or 2, or even 3, its a shame YOU started playing COD so late, because the games before COD 4 were so much better, more balanced, better host migration and maps, better hitboxes, and no lame perks or computers in the MP.  Had to work for kills.  Everytime I pop BC 2 in or MOH and play it online I think to myself, man Im glad I dont play COD anymore.

[/quote]

i first got my xbox in 2007 so i obviously picked up cod 4, but i didnt forget to buy the other games and play online like some people forget to do. personally all the reason people like it is because its easy to pick up and play its easy to do "good" in.  personally im just going to rent this because 4 years of literally the same crap is getting old and thats all call of duty is, different maps, different guns but the same engine.

[quote user="ADrunkCanadian"]

i first got my xbox in 2007 so i obviously picked up cod 4, but i didnt forget to buy the other games and play online like some people forget to do. personally all the reason people like it is because its easy to pick up and play its easy to do "good" in.  personally im just going to rent this because 4 years of literally the same crap is getting old and thats all call of duty is, different maps, different guns but the same engine.

[/quote]

Exactly.  COD is easy to pick up, easy to do well, which is why every kid out there under the age of reason plays it, because it doesnt require any kind of thought.  Pick it up, run around the map, guaranteed 5-6 kills before you die.  Yes I picked COD 4 up when it first came out, and thought it was good, but after a month or two, I thought, wow this game really isnt that great.  It got boring, and felt half the stuff in it was just cheap.

COD will be COD (obviously with the same engine) but hopefully the graphics and sound get a huge upgrade. I mean CODs "play" fine and I have lots of fun with it. I do believe its time for graphics and sound to "step up" though.

because its the best shooter out right now