If you are having issues purchasing, LOOK HERE

Here is my situation- I added a $50 prepaid card to my account last Friday 12/13. Prior to adding that card, I had been adding prepaid cards periodically for about a month and using them to purchase in-game consumable content in Madden 25. Hadn't had any issues doing this for that entire month. I was purchasing them at a local grocery store because I get 4x reward points that give me discounts on gas. Anyway, after getting the same message as a lot of you, "Unable to authorize this payment menthod. Please change or add a new method of payment or check your billing address. If you have questions, your financial institution would be the one to ask" or whatever. I opened a chat case with a rep who said they didn't see anything wrong but they would escalate it to the Advocacy team. The next day, my birthday, i tried to purchase thinking it was the Xbox live issue that was causing my problem on Friday. Still not able to purchase. I call customer support and walked through a bunch of steps that didn't work. I was re-assured time after time that it wasn't anything on my account. Day after day I continued to call and chat with support reps until Tuesday when I received an email from an Advocacy team member stating that my account was re-enabled for purchasing. That was welcomed news but about 15-20 minutes later I got another email from a different rep in Advocacy who stated my account is still locked, as it is being investigated for suspicious activity. I forwarded the first email to the second rep, stating I had already been told my account was good to go. About an hour later, I got another email from the second rep saying that after further review, my account would still be locked and she apologized I was misinformed. I called in to a rep to actually speak to someone and was told that the phone reps basically have no say in what happens with the Advocacy (tier 3) reps. I was told by the phone rep to hound the Advocacy rep with emails until it gets resolved so I sent 2-3 emails insisting they tell me why my account was locked down and I was unable to use my fully-paid for Microsoft credit. Today I got a third email from the second rep that emailed me stating that she would have the issue re-evaluated. A few hours after that I got an email from a third member of the Advocacy team who stated that after thorough review, no suspicious or fraudulent activity was found and my account would be re-instated. I responded with a thank you. I got another email about an hour after that from a 4th Advocacy rep confirming my account would be able to purchase within 24-48 hours of her email. I will wait until tomorrow (24 hours +) and see if I can purchase. Good luck to everyone having this issue.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Good to hear you finally got it resolved. Well, maybe. Time will tell, but it's looking good. :-)

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hope they do the same for me. I have the same problem

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. Im calling support in 10 mins as soon as Im home from work. Good news for sure

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I called and apparently my case was still open. First support guy said Id be contacted by email within 24 hours. Its been 4 days. Girl I talked to just now said she didnt know why he said that, it takes 5 days for them to contact you and that she couldnt find one thing wrong with my account either. Everything checked out fine. She was a sweetheart and gave me 1 month free XBL, but that only eases the pain slightly. Ill give it til tomorrow, and I better have some sort of resolution because this is ridiculous. With the amount of cards Ive bought since Ive been a XBL subscriber, Im sure Ive put plenty of the company's owner's kids through college...and this is how IM repaid. BS man

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel your pain.  I'm waiting on the email.  They told me 2 days.  Huh...

Sorry this didn't help.

yea i have been having problems for over a week and someone is suppose to call me tomorrow to help me add my paypal account to fix my account.. i get the same message as OP when trying to use the money in my microsoft account but get a error code a when trying to add a new payment method on it

Sorry this didn't help.

As expected, I am still not able to purchase. This is after a week of the same issue and 3 emails from separate Advocacy reps stating I would be able to purchase. I somehow think this is more of a system glitch they don't want to admit then an actual fraud block.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is ***. Could not have come at a worse time. Couldnt they wait til AFTER the holiday sales to glitch their system?

Sorry this didn't help.

I faced the unauthorized payment method thingy... So, I chatted with one of the Xbox Support guys to help me with this issue, he asked for either my Gamertag, or my E-mail. I gave him my gamertag, then he said he can escalate it to the Adovacy Team, and by 2-5 days, the layout in my account changed, and I've tried to add my dad's CC, and it finally worked! Just try the Xbox Support chat if anyone's facing this issue...

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive called support twice. Im supposed to get an email from the advocacy team today with some sort of resolution...Ill give em til 6pm. If I dont get any response, theyll be hearing from me a 3rd time...And trust me: they dont want me to call a 3rd time. Losing my patience here.

Sorry this didn't help.