If Microsoft universally intergrates the Online Pass system like Sony then....

What in the world would be the point of $60 a year to Xbox Live Gold? There are a handful of game on the Xbox360 that already use it, and I'm surprised nobody has stated anything on this forums about it. The whole point of Xbox Live gold is to enable the ability to play Multiplayer, so Microsoft shouldn't allow the publishers to do this on their system, just like how they won't allow certain Download Content packs to be given away free. 

For the stance about it to combat against game rentals, that's been around since the early 90s, it wasn't a problem then, so why is it a problem now? Not to mention, those companies that have rental services have to purchase the games first, so it's not like the companies are not getting their cut out of the deal.

After seeing what Sony has announced that they will be starting this, I was thinking they would have those who are paying for this premium online feature a waver for this, but they aren't, so it's like they are paying for that for no reason., and if every game on Xbox adapted this system, we would be paying for Gold for no reason. We need to step up for ourselves and show Microsoft that this isn't a good marketing idea to adapt for their business, we don't want to have that intergrated to the same degree!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There have been many many threads about the online pass system used by games on the forum, I've no idea how you've managed to miss them.

I think you may have a point.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="voteDC"]

There have been many many threads about the online pass system used by games on the forum, I've no idea how you've managed to miss them.

[/quote]

Unhelpful advice considering how hard it is to navigate this mess of a new forum. Why not contribute something userful to the thread since, afterall, you are an ambassador.

@O.P. - I completely agree with you. If this takes effect, then we will be, in essence, paying for the same service twice (in my opinion).

^^^Both great points. Maybe if an Online pass feature were instituted I would switch to WII

Well not disagreeing with navigating forums but you will see the same topic in different forums regarding the online pass if you visit the forums more than once a month.  It seems to come up on the first page 2-3 times weekly.

Yup, plenty of threads. You can find the search button up the top right of the screen

I buy my games new so it doesn't affect me. If they did not include the code in every new game, then I'd agree with you, but its only those buying preowned that need to actually pay for the online pass, and they can do that with the money they saved from getting it preowned. Simple

Its a way for the devs to get some money out of preowned games, which seems fair to me

That may be true, but it's worse for people like me that rent a majority of their games. Rental services are already $20 a month, and I shouldn't have to pay a full $10 for something I don't even plan to keep that long. I'm not sure if all games do this that have passes, but if you ever played Mortal Kombat, then it gives you 3 full days to play without worrying.

The fact still remains that we've gone since Xbox Live was announced until last year without any nonsense like this, the video gaming business is booming enough without trying to penalize people with used games. It wouldn't be such a serious problem if more games weren't so heavy handed when it came to multiplayer now-a-days.

If the game provides dedicated servers then I think online passes are justified if you do not buy the game new. Also don't most games have free 7 day passes and you only need to pay to play online longer than that. I know some of them are linking game content and community sharing to the online pass but I thought most give you a 7 day trial.

Don't forget though, its not MS that is doing this, but the game devs. So its not a cost on top of Live if you know what I mean?

Its basically exactly what they want, they are trying to encourage people to get the game new so that they can actually make a profit from it (I'm not sure if they make any profit from rentals though). It sucks, but its the way things are looking to go. Its pretty common now days to have an online pass for multiplayer, EA games pretty much all have it now Although as SatNight said, most will give you a free trial which should cover you if you're renting

If everyone rented and did not pay an online pass fee we would be playing pretty ordinary games because the develpment budgets would be very small indeed. I sometimes think gamers can be a little selfish wanting something for nothing (and yes me included). And before people say hangon we pay for live I do think there is an argument about whether we get our money's worth from live but remember live does not act as game server.