If I install a disc, does that mean I can play it regardless of the disc's condition?

My black ops 2 is way scratched up, so I borrowed my friend's brand new one and installed it. Does this mean I can still play my black ops 2 no matter how dirty/scratched it is?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 83 Applies to:

Not necessarily, the 360 still has to read from the disc occasionally and if that part of your disc is damaged you could face issues. But you'll certainly have better success the way you've done it then if you tried installing from your own disc. Best advice I can give is try it, and see how it goes. If it works it works, if it doesn't you may need to get a new copy.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It reads the disc. It doesn't seem to have any problems with my disc. I've had this installed for a while, and never had any problems. I was just wondering because when I cleaned my disc I wasn't aware of no circular motions, and I scratched my disc up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lowly,

As Favious said, in general it will work fine with the game installed even if the disc is scratched but there is the possibility that the game will try to read something from the disc and hit one of those scratched sectors, causing an error.

Sorry this didn't help.

If the disc is scratched on a part that the Xbox reads prior to spinning down, it might not work.

But if the scratch is on a different part of the disc, that doesn't affect the initial spin up. Than you still should be able to play a pre-installed game.

Sorry this didn't help.

It will work if not totally scratched up totally. Worth a shot I had to games I had to do that with.  

Sorry this didn't help.

It will read it just have to try a couple times my friend ringed my mw3 disc and I have it installed on my hard drive and it works most the time it just takes a couple tries.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not necessarily the 360 needs to read the disc occasionally and if something is wrong with part of it you could still face some issues. But installing will help with how smoothly the game plays otherwise I just recommend trying it, if it works it works otherwise I guess you will have to buy a new one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi LowlyOne,

The game may still work depending on the severity of the scratch. The installed game will need to read from the disc from time to time. And the only way to really test out of the scratch is going to cause that sort of issue would be to play it unfortunately. If the scratch is small though, let's see if these steps here are able to help with that. And if the game needs to be replaced then you can actually set up a disc replacement right over here. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.