I've played a lot of betas...

I've played beta of Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty World at War, Bad Company 2 (on ps3 and 360), Halo Reach, and Gears of War 3. You know what they all have in common? They all play out like demos and they all represented the final product, unlike what the little disclaimer usually states.

As anybody with common sense realizes these days, open betas are treated like demos and people will judge a game from one no matter what it is "referred" as.

In this case, the Battlefield 3 beta was not handled well by DICE for 3 reasons

1. The timing. Why would Dice release a beta less than a month before the game comes out? The game is almost about to go gold (if it hasn't already) and the devs will only be able to fix things through a title update when the game releases. If the the managers at Dice had been smart, they would have released this beta 6 months ago. This leads into my next point.

2. The build. Apparently, Dice is giving us a build of the game that is even older than the closed Alpha that was on the PC. Why? Don't you want people to find glitches that haven't already been found? Don't you want people to like the game so that they don't spread a bad word about it like they do now?

3. The map. Operation Metro pretty much gets Battlefield as close to Call of Duty as possible. Wide open areas for sniping combined with cramped hallways for close quarters spray-fests. If anything, you should have given us a map with ALL of the vehicles so that we could test all of them out for glithces and bugs.

TL;DR So the only logical reason the beta is the way it is (if in fact the actual game isn't quite as garbage) is because Dice just wants to test the servers. This wasn't a very smart move considering all the disappointment going around the internet. So what if it isn't the final build, the fact that Dice handled the beta the way they did causes me to lose more confidence in what the final game will be like.

I will still be purchasing the game but I will be surprised if the game runs as smoothly as Bad Company 2 come launch.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree that the map was a bad choice. Really wish they'd given us Caspian Border...

These posts are boring now. If you arent happy. Dont buy it.

The graphics arent that bad. the gameplay is good although fast and aggresive. (will make a nice change from hour long heavy metal type rounds.)

Call of duty it isnt....a little like MOH maybe, but only in places.

Ive seen the caspian border BETA on the PC and its amazing.

I doubt it is the final version but UI dont work for either DICE or EA so I wouldnt know. I did see the tweet from the developer at DICE and he states the graphics are far better in the final release... Thats from the guys who oversees The thing. If you dont believe him then STOP ASKING!!!

You have also got to remember that the 360 is limited these days by its media and graphics processors. These games will get less and less appealing on the 360. There needs to be new console release with HD media.  You want top end graphics go buy a 2 grand PC.

^^^^^^^ Preach it brother!  ^^^^^^^^  I gotta wonder if at least a few of these are from the CoD guys trying to steal sales from Dice.  They do that sort of stuff in every other aspect of the internet, probably doing it here too.

[quote user="vibroluxor"]

^^^^^^^ Preach it brother!  ^^^^^^^^  I gotta wonder if at least a few of these are from the CoD guys trying to steal sales from Dice.  They do that sort of stuff in every other aspect of the internet, probably doing it here too.

[/quote]Lol, like BF guys don't do the same.  Anyway the OP isn't a CoD fanboy.  Im pretty sure he likes BF games more.  

I agree with you, mate. Us console gamers have got the short straw again.

I'm gonna pick up MW3 for console, and save up for a PC where I can get the full Battlefield experience, rather than a sub-standard port.

[quote user="Skytti"]

I agree with you, mate. Us console gamers have got the short straw again.

I'm gonna pick up MW3 for console, and save up for a PC where I can get the full Battlefield experience, rather than a sub-standard port.

[/quote]

Humans are unique. That is what you think a full battlefield experience. Behind a desk with a headphones, with indeed awesome graphics and a mouse and keyboard.

But my full Battlefield experience is on my comfy cough behind my 47inc LED flatscreen, with a dolby 7.1 soundsystem. And a easy going controller in my hand taking to my friends in a party over xboxlive.  

I so glad we arn't all the same..

don't know what the constant COD hate is all about....lame......I plan to play and enjoy both

-

OP...I'm pretty sure the final retail version of the game will be pretty cool.....however, it doesn't change the validity of your point...this beta is not a good representation of what this game is going to be....and you are right, people treat betas just like demos....I played both the BC2 demo and the BC2 beta....both the demo and the beta were just like the final product...don't know what this beta is all about, many previous games have done better with their betas

-

please ignore all the attacks .....all the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" BS.....people can and should voice their opinions here, to give readers as broad a spectrum as possible...and if people don't like it, they don't have to read it

I love all these people who have never posted on the bad company 2 forum trying to say that some like dusty who posts all the time in the bad company 2 forums is a cod fan boy

[quote user="FAT N1NJA PANDA"]

I love all these people who have never posted on the bad company 2 forum trying to say that some like dusty who posts all the time in the bad company 2 forums is a cod fan boy

[/quote]

Wait, what?? Are there more forums?

[quote user="Dusty Arne"]

[quote user="FAT N1NJA PANDA"]

[/quote]

Wait, what?? Are there more forums?

[/quote]

Yeah, there are more game forums out there. And some that only 5 people have visited. Also, some games that have come out lately don't even have a place to talk about them(I know last month this was the case but it might have changed).