I'm really disappointed with Spartan ops

All the missions were the same!!! Activate defense systems, de-activate turrets...I think that i'm not going to buy any of the SO....I miss firefight :'(

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Yeah, it's incredibly bland.

I care about none of the lifelessly dull characters, and the missions don't evolve beyond; 'Where are all of the enemies?' 'Oh no, enemies!'.

I still prefer it to firefight.  Some parts are essentially the same (hold your ground against enemies) but with a story behind it as well.  I'm loving Spartan Ops so far.

[quote user="iAshHD"] 'Where are all of the enemies?' 'Oh no, enemies!'.[/quote]That always made me laugh.

No enemies? 100% chance crawlers will appear when you push a button.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"][quote user="iAshHD"] 'Where are all of the enemies?' 'Oh no, enemies!'.[/quote]That always made me laugh.

No enemies? 100% chance crawlers will appear when you push a button.[/quote]Yeah.

Also, me and a friend both laughed at Chapter 3, Episode 6.

Palmer tells you to push a button, you do, and then it's all:

"Uh-oh Crimson, looks like that Button pushing you've been up to has stirred a lot of enemies".

Give me a break. 

Roland is a cool AI and it is always fun to hear his comments :)

[quote user="Andreea97"]

All the missions were the same!!! Activate defense systems, de-activate turrets...I think that i'm not going to buy any of the SO....I miss firefight :'(

[/quote]

This contradiction cracks me up.   Firefight was the EXACT same area and exact same enemies EVERY time.    Spartan ops at least sends you to different locations, has a storyline and scinematic cut scenes, different enemies, different objectives.  No one ever knows from week to week what area you will be in or what enemies you will fight per episode in SO.  In firefight you already know the enemies, the map, where you spawn, and where the enemies are coming from. lol  I could tell you wave for wave where the enemies come from in the Firefight Corvette map and I havent played that game in months.     I personally think SO is miles and miles ahead of Firefight.     On top of that all 50 of the episodes were free in Halo 4.   In Reach you actually had to purchase Firefight DLC maps. To say you dont like SO because you dont like to do the same thing over and over again but you prefer Firefight is just a massive contradiction. lol!

Firefight is tense, exciting or enjoyable, depending on how you customised your particular experience.

Spartan Ops tells a great story with missions that are often barely related and almost always tedious. You could turn Spartan Ops into a ten-part video series, dropping all the gameplay elements and you would have a *better* product. Spartan Ops gameplay is so shallow, so one-dimensional it doesn't compare to either Reach or ODST's Firefight.

Was Firefight boring?

I don't actually believe so, no. It would be if the gameplay was as tedious, pointless and utterly mind-numbing as Spartan Ops' is, but it wasn't. Could it be boring, and was it undeniably a very simple, straight-forward experience (excluding Reach's customisation, because that's a whole different matter)?

Sure.

It was better than Spartan Ops, however.

"This contradiction cracks me up.   Firefight was the EXACT same area and exact same enemies EVERY time".

Your post cracks my head against a wall. I could easily customise Firefight to my liking. What happened to that option in H4? Where was the merit in REMOVING player choice?

It's subtle and you clearly don't notice it --ignorance is bliss-- but there are many small things that all stack up.

"Spartan ops at least sends you to different locations, has a storyline and scinematic cut scenes, different enemies, different objectives.  No one ever knows from week to week what area you will be in or what enemies you will fight per episode in SO.  In firefight you already know the enemies, the map, where you spawn, and where the enemies are coming from. lol  I could tell you wave for wave where the enemies come from in the Firefight Corvette map and I havent played that game in months".

You're about 33% right with one of the sentences quoted above. I did not know where I was going to be playing the first time I played a Spartan Ops mission.

As soon as I saw the next week's list feature the same map, I knew a good deal about what I was getting. You're hung up over the fact that we get 'new' missions weekly: yeah, OK, we do. But when we first got Halo: Reach, the Firefight maps were new, weren't they? The newness wore off, didn't it? The same applies for Spartan Ops, it just happens again and again each time you get missions that are about 40% new weekly.

Same with Spartan Ops, except that it's even worse. I couldn't tell which maps I was going to be playing in Reach just from playing ODST, but I can tell a good deal about the SO mission I'm going to be playing before I actually load into it. It gets even worse once you realise that there was nothing creative about the first 25 missions whatsoever. You could basically take your mind's eye through each and every foot mission before you played them, and the vehicle missions didn't redeem very much. The next 25? Just disguised better, but still very much the same.

About your last point, being able to tell me exactly what happens in a Spartan Ops map? You don't think you could easily do the same with your most played Spartan Ops mission?

I know I could. The difference, the point you're bringing up? It doesn't help you, because it applies both ways equally. Neither Firefight nor SO are particularly innovative, but it is only one that pretends to be. When you played Firefight, you played it for Firefight and Firefight was what you got. With Spartan Ops, you could play for the story but for a lot of the missions the story is negligible and only filler, something else for us to play between the weekly cinematic releases. You could play it for the gameplay, but you really can't do that. It just isn't very good. As I mentioned earlier, SO would have been better as a post-H4 extension to Forward Unto Dawn or a final Terminal.

"On top of that all 50 of the episodes were free in Halo 4.   In Reach you actually had to purchase Firefight DLC maps".

If SO wasn't free, we would have gotten nothing. If you didn't buy Reach's DLC, you still had Firefight. The fact that it was 'free' means nothing whatsoever. If they had have charged for it, they would have cut content from the game just so they could sell it separately. I guarantee you they're tempted to do it for H5, possibly still even tossing it up.

Do you see what I mean about 'free' meaning nothing?

if a new season of  Spartan Ops is free, then I will give them the credit they will rightfully deserve. If they charge for it, then it graduates to Firefight's level.

"To say you dont like SO because you dont like to do the same thing over and over again but you prefer Firefight is just a massive contradiction".

As I'm reasonably sure I've covered, this is not necessarily the case. Firefight was was it set out to be, and it set out to be something simple. It set out to be a similar experience each time. Even then, such was the design that you could customise it as much as you want, which removes an absolutely massive part of the 'sameness'. Even before that, in ODST, it was so tense it wasn't the same each time.

Does Spartan Ops offer anything whatsoever that is remotely challenging, intense or hell, even interesting?

You might get away with saying it or some element of it is interesting but it sure as anything is not challenging or intense.

________

Thanks for that post. It was fun : )

I think ODST's firefight was the best side mode. Because, you know, it was actually challenging.

-

Spartan Ops just failed to meet my expectations. We were promised new maps and a story every week. Most of the maps are similar and the story is the only redeeming factor. I would sooner play Firefight than Spartan Ops. Spartan Ops is like playing a single player mission in Call of Duty.