I'm FUMING!! But I'll play nice. 18gb update?

Sooooooooo,   18gb update?   Yep, 18gb!    18 !@$*% gbs!!    What in the frickin frack is in the 18gbs?    The whole rest of the game?!!    Okay, here's the deal Microsoft, I have a custom built PC, custom built by me.   I can play any game on the highest settings, have plenty of hard drive space, I usually buy games for the PC that have killer graphics.  Yeah, games take up space and require updates, thats expected on the PC.   That said, I buy games for the consoles that I can just pop in and have fun. POP IN AND HAVE FUN.  POP IN AND HAVE FUN.  POP IN AND HAVE FUN.         Are you seeing where I'm headed?       You basically have created a PC,                      a Personal Console.    Apparently gone are the days of popping in a game and PLAYING it.    Now the PS3 used blue rays, and I could still pop in a game and play.    So please explain your thought process so far as requiring game installs on a console.    Also the HUGE updates, which by the way are misleading, that say "if you want to play online" you must update now.    If you say "later" it takes you to the game, but when you try to play the campaign, you are forced to update anyway.  Now, 18gbs. I could understand 2gbs or so, kinda annoying, but the console is better so okay.   But 18gbs?  Now I'm sure Microsoft realizes that Americans receive the lowest bandwidth and pay the highest prices for internet in the 1st world countries. I have my opinions as to why but I digress.  There are people, like me, who do not live in a urban area. Crazy I know right?  Imagine people who live outside of a city............Can you imagine that?  There is actually humans that live on acres of land.  The nearest neighbor is more than 10ft away.  Now I'm sure Mr.Gates can imagine this scenario.  But you support people probably aren't as lucky as your boss.  Ooops tangent.  Anyway, howabout a DISC or Thumb drive for people who may live in DSL only areas?  OR, maybe a kiosk at participating game stores,  to download said updates to a thumb drive and then pop it in your console?  PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO SOMEONE WITH ANSWERS.  Thank you soo much for your time and consideration.        Isaac  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Consoles haven't been "Consoles" since the original Xbox added a HDD and Internet connection.

PS3's install games from the blu-ray drive as blu-ray discs don't spin fast enough to stream the content on the fly.

I'm assuming the game you are talking about here is Halo The Master Chief Collection? It just didn't fit on to the 50GB blu-ray disc so had to make an update available online. You can play campaign without the update, sign out of Xbox Live (but keep your profile signed in) and you should be able to play.

Broadband is a monopoly in the US, that is why it is so expensive and slow. There is usually only one provider to pick from in each area meaning they aren't in competition to drop prices or increase speeds. In other parts of the world those kinds of monoploies don't exist and there is fair competition. That isn't something Microsoft control though.

Luckily I get 150mbps from Comcast but do pay heavily for it.

The idea of a download station at game retail stores is a good idea though. You should contact GameStop with it as a suggestion for their stores. Take in your external HDD, get the massive updates and take them home.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same thing is going to happen with Elder Scrolls too, the developer has alreayd stated that the game is too large for the disc and will require an day one update to download the extra content. Just goes with the times I guess, games are at that level now that they are simply that large.

Sorry this didn't help.

18GB can seem like a lot.  However, if you're planning on getting the new Batman: Arkham Knight for the pc I certainly hope you have the required 55GB worth of space for the game.

Sorry this didn't help.