I'm Confused ... was it a Dream (Spoiler Maybe Kinda Not Sure Now )

So I finished my 1st play of ME3... and as I have done with the last 2 games I read all the credits... The little kid is talking to his grand father... Which  didn't make sense with the ending I had... 

I was fine with my ending up till then.. Now I'm confused and want some answers.... or maybe I just need more sleep and a 2nd play 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The current endings to ME3 are filled with plot holes, not to mention that Bioware promised to answer questions than add more. Unfortunately the current endings does not make any sense as many including I believe the dream or the indoctrination theory begins after Shepard is hit by Harbinger beam.  

In all honestly there is no true definite explanation of the endings we currently have, everyone is literally grasping at straws to conceive in the slightest what happened. Bioware had taken notice of this and Co-Founder Ray Muzyka released a open letter despite fueled by PR that they are addressing the issues. Below is a quote from the open letter. 

"Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April.  We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received.  This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue." 

What does this mean, nothing is really clear when PR is involved however Bioware has assured on Bioware Social Network or BSN that they are bringing clarity and closure to the endings. We just have to wait till April to see what "clarity and closure they are speaking of". However they are collaborating with the community to better improve persay the ending as many people including myself were left confused by the current ME3 endings. 

Co-founder open letter 

This may not be the answer you were seeking, but majority of the community is trying to grasp at anything we can to understand the endings. Many theories have arose, however the most prmosing is the Indoctrination theory as its the only theory that brings any sense to the endings. I will link to a video below that covers the said theory.

ME3 Indoctrination Theory and "DLC" Ending Proof 

Bioware has confirmed that the current endings were intended, however despite the theory being a bit flawed per say. No one besides Bioware has solid information to truly explain the endings all we have is hope. I hope this helps, and once again I apologize if this isn't the answer you were seeking but this is the best anyone has at the moment. 

the grandfather and kid are on another planet (survivors from the normandy and maybe some other alliance ships that could have been knocked away by the blast.

and on the subject of plot holes, the biggest ones I see involve Normandy FTLing away and squadmates at the end. do you think Joker wouldn't have noticed the surge of energy headed towards him on sensors? he didn't flee the battle in the middle of it like a somewhat famous 10 reasons to hate the ending vid suggest but would have bolted as soon as the massive energy signature appeared on sensors. as far as the squadmates go, I like to think of that as a shuttle coming down to get them before you run off to the beam, but yeah that one isn't as cut and dry to me but could be thought of that way.

BW could actually just add in several scenes to the end without changing the actual ending and Im almost certain people would instantly like it more.

I believe one of the problems though with Joker fleeing the battle... is that even the Squad Mates that are with you when you get blasted by Harbinger some how make it back to the Normandy.

Also we really don't know where the Normandy is during the events of Earth... but the Colored Energy blast engulfs the Earth before being shot through the Citadel. So either the Normandy was on Earth helping in the fight or is somehow already leaving the fight right when the Colored Energy wave hits the Earth(and already picking up your squad mates).

Just doesn't seem very plausible that the Normandy is fleeing the battle when the battle is raging on. Not to mention how does Joker know what the Colored Energy blast would do to the Normandy?? Know one actually know what the Crucible is supposed to do.

[quote user="vader da slayer"]

the grandfather and kid are on another planet (survivors from the normandy and maybe some other alliance ships that could have been knocked away by the blast.

and on the subject of plot holes, the biggest ones I see involve Normandy FTLing away and squadmates at the end. do you think Joker wouldn't have noticed the surge of energy headed towards him on sensors? he didn't flee the battle in the middle of it like a somewhat famous 10 reasons to hate the ending vid suggest but would have bolted as soon as the massive energy signature appeared on sensors. as far as the squadmates go, I like to think of that as a shuttle coming down to get them before you run off to the beam, but yeah that one isn't as cut and dry to me but could be thought of that way.

BW could actually just add in several scenes to the end without changing the actual ending and Im almost certain people would instantly like it more.

[/quote]Well considering as you say he is using FTL to flee it, and it catches him, then I doubt he would have had time to react since it is travelling faster than Light.

I thought about it some more.. and I'm even more confused. (A video game shouldn't have me this confused at the end )

I do feel that what ever ending you have, if more cut sense are made to explain How, why and Where things happened to everyone you battled with through your three games, People would react better.  I feel that I got the ending that was written the person that just starting playing ME(3) and only have maybe 20 hours of play time.. Not someone that has well over 100 hours of play time in to a game Franchise. I don't complain much when it comes to gaming .. but damn I feel cheated right now...

Would it make any more sense if that Stargazer scene was taking place 10,000 years in the future?

Yea it would make more sense ... but then that would make people think there is a ME4

There is definitely a disparity in the writing. The ending just doesn't follow the previous plot lines. Maybe it was done to set up something else, but it simply isn't coherent with the rest of the game. I can easily watch every possible ending via the PC files and a player to view them. There is no other explanation aside from Bioware making some fatal flaws. While no game developer will admit it, I can't help but blame EA. All evidence suggests that without their "help" (via online play), you will never see the 'Shepard lives' ending. There is plenty of prior evidence with other games to support my theory. Based on many developers' implementation, DLC is created to fix problems with some "extra content.". Imho, DLC should be a true addition, not a $5-10 patch.