I want to get into a multiplayer shooter. Where do I start?

I've never really given online multiplayer much of a chance, I hear tons of bad things. Glitching, screeming kids, homophobia, racism etc... About the only thing that I do play online is madden. And i'll never wear my headset. So faceless ranked madden matches is about all the online multiplayer that ive done. Well a little bit of Gears multiplayer, but only a little. Its impossible to find Castle Crasher groups!

I've never found a First person shooter that I loved.  I played around a bit with Borderlands (but i wasnt big on the class based characters)  Tried a Fear game sometime ago, and a Call of Duty as well. I've tried 6 FPS' or so in the last 5 years, but nothing thats really jumped out at me.

What I looking for is a Solid FPS with well controlled online servers where I can play without worry of tons of glitching and cheets. I know that, that will always be an issue, but I also know that some games a better than others. I'm prepaired to mute the screaming masses, I just want a level playing feild to start off in.

So what I'm looking to do is find and jump into an Online Multiplayer FPS. All newb and babe in the woods style.

I'm trying to branch out my gaming horizon.

What should I look into?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try Black Ops. Any Call of Duty game is noob friendly. But the older versions are plagued by modders and hackers. Just go with Black Ops and you'll be alright.

1rst person or 3rd person?

I had 1st person in mind when I posted but and recommendations are appreciated.

I want to get into a multiplayer shooter. Where do I start?

...Afghanistan

I was thinking more along the lines of...from my couch.

I would recommend Gears 3 which comes out September 20th. However its a third person game. I play alot of black ops and its a fair playing level for the most part. I personally like playing gears of war 2, but its been out since November 2008 so i have played it too much as of right now. Most first person shooters play out like the call of duty franchise so most aren't different just a copy of call of duty's formula. If you haven't  played gta or red dead they are different type of shooter.

[quote user="GelatinousCubed"]

I was thinking more along the lines of...from my couch.

[/quote]

I know. It was a joke, Son.

I couldn't tell you where to start. I'm not into shooters myself.

By the way, I like your gamerpic. I wish Warren Moon had won a superbowl. He deserved a ring.

I was planning on Gears3. I played the first 2 and enjoyed them very much. I played through the campaign online with Friends but i was never huge into the multiplayer. I am planning on trying that one though. thanks!

Sounds like black ops would be the way to go, But that's one of the game Ive heard a lot of negative comments about.

I'm going to rent to start so i can take a chance on it.

I always have a good time playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2.  In my opinion it is a bit more challenging than Call of Duty: Black Ops, but it is more enjoyable online. Whenever I play BF:BC2 there doesn't seem to be nearly as much "glitching, screaming kids, homophobia, racism etc" as CoD:BO, but both games offer different gameplay experiences, good and bad.

Gears of War is one of the worst examples of noobs coming in and being mercilessly destroyed by veterans. Even if others are better in a Call of Duty, you'll still get some lucky kills of people who randomly wander in front of your gun. Don't get me wrong, other games are much better than Black Ops. But use it to familiarize yourself with online multiplayer. And you can branch out to better games from there