I need your help - best games of all time

As a kid, I was blessed with a Sega Genesis, an N64, and a few games for each that held my attention for many years. Looking back, there are so many games out there that I did not have the means to play when I was younger. What I'm trying to create is a list of all of the must play games of all time (every console). My plan is to build an excel spreadsheet with each tab representing a console. As I play each game, I'll check it off of the list. What I need from you guys are suggestions for games that should go on this list. If you could tell me what system they came out on, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for anything that I may have missed. Thanks in advance, guys!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Jade Empire, Bioware's finest hour. Original XBOX/PC

Wolfenstein 3D(XBL)
Doom(XBL)
The Legend of Zelda(all)(Think many are on Wii, don't know as I don't have one, but Nintendo consoles)
Dialbo II(or you could just play III now)(PC)
Counter-Strike(They're coming out with a version for LIVE)
Half-Life Episode 1 & 2(PC)
Fallout 1,2,3, New Vegas(1 and 2 PC, 3 and New Vegas PC and consoles)
Mass Effect(at least the first)(360)

There is a few from all gens off the top of my head. 

Halo CE ~ Xbox (360)

-

I don't know if I would list it as a "best game of all time" necessarily, but when I was a kid, I used to love playing Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

I've done this list many times, but it was always apt to change a little bit each time. Anyway, I love doing these kinds of things, so here goes (this is in no particular order)...

Knights of the Old Republic: Xbox

Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX: Playstation

Resident Evil Director's Cut: Playstation

S.N.A.T.C.H.E.R.: Sega CD

The Adventures of Willy Beamish: Sega CD

Flashback: Genesis

Gran Turismo (series): PSone, PS2 & PS3

Phantasy Star II-IV: Genesis

The Sword of Vermilion: Genesis

Dragon Age Origins: 360

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Atari 2600

Shenmue: Dreamcast

Test Drive Unlimited: 360

Heavy Rain: PS3

The Urbs (Sims in the City): Xbox

Sonic Adventure: Dreamcast

Skies of Arcadia: Dreamcast

Gex 2: Playstation

The Sims Castaway: Wii

Adventure: Atari 2600

Blood Omen (The Legacy of Kain): Playstation

The Need for Speed Underground 2: Xbox

Tomb Raider: Playstation

Phantasy Star Online: Dreamcast

Alien Vs. Predator: Atari Jaguar

Shining in the Darkness/Shining Force (1 & 2): Genesis

Motor Toon Grand Prix: Playstation

Crash Team Racing: Playstation

Tokyo Extreme Racer: Dreamcast

Alice Madness Returns: 360

DOOM: Atari Jaguar

Computer/PC Games...

The Sims 1, 2 & 3

Zork I-III

Myst (entire series)

Monkey Island (series)

Grim Fandango

Suspended

Moonmist

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Miner 2049er

Infidel

Rescue on Fractalus

...I could easily keep going.

Earthbound

Killer 7 on the gamecube.

Game Boy Advance:

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Metroid Fusion

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Advance Wars 2

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

...just to randomly name some of the greatest GBA games

wow this is good.

I would say every elder scrolls game. anything behind morrowind is outdated beyond belief but they are cult classics.

Populous/black and white.

Star craft 1 and 2. PC.

-

original xbox halo 1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2, jade empire, conquers live and reloaded.

-

N64 mario party,  mario tennis, paper mario, super smash bros.

-

PS1 the only game i thought was a gem was future cop LAPD, and MGS games.

-

PS2 GTA 3, vice city and san andreas.

-

PS3, sly cooper remakes, god of war + remakes are pretty decent. any current multiplatform JRPG will be better on PS3.

-

360- halo, gears, forza, and any non- JRPG multiplatform game.

It's hard to say best of all time, but some of my favorites off the top of my head that I think are worth a try,

Genesis:

Shining Force 1&2, Sonic Series, Streets of Rage 1&2, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star series,

SNES:

Donkey Kong Country series, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Secret of Mana, Zelda: A Link to The Past, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island. If you have a super scope, then you should also try Battle Clash and Metal Combat.

Sega Saturn:

Shining Force 3, Virtua Fighter 1 & 2, Fighters Megamix, House of The Dead, Virtua Cop 1 &2, Panzer Dragoon series,  Nights, Guardian Heroes, If you're into racing games, then Sega Rally and Daytona USA also.

Dreamcast:

Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 1&2 , Soul Caliber, Marvel vs. Capcom 1&2, House of the Dead 2, Jet Grind Radio, Power Stone 1&2, Virtua Fighter 3, Resident Evil Code Veronica.  I never bought it, but Skies of Arcadia is usually on everybody's list also.

N64:

Super Smash Bros, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooei, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Zelda Ocarina of TIme, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, WWF No Mercy,

Original Xbox:

Ninja Gaiden Black, Halo CE, Halo 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Conker Live & Reloaded, Fable, Dead or Alive 3

There are alot more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head at this very moment.

Tvols1480 -  I have the perfect website for you- Retrouprising.com  This is not a ROM download site and it's not a scam. It's completely free and it has 19 retro gaming systems* available to play in your browser with nearly all their games. I help mod that site so feel free to message me if you have any questions or issues, same goes for anyone else reading this.The forums there are also full of people who could give you tons of great old school games to play, your excel list would be gigantic.

*NES, Snes, GB, GBC, VB(virtual boy), N64(newly added and still buggy), SMS, Genesis, GameGear, X32, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, LYNX, Coin op arcade, Colecovision, TurboGraphics16, Amiga(several versions still being tested), Text Adventures and even the truly retro 2-XL Robot.

As for my own list for you to check out-

Actraiser

Destiny of an Emperor

Dragon Warrior 1-4(and most of the others)

F-Zero

Gradius 3

The Zelda games, even the second one

The Lost Vikings

Ogre Battle and the version for N64

Pirates! Gold

Populous

River City Ransom

Shadowrun( Snes, Genesis and 360)

Starflight

All the Super Mario games on the retro consoles

Tactics Ogre

Toejam and Earl

Ultima Quest of the Avatar

Uncharted Waters 1&2

All but one of those you can find on RU. Have fun.