I need combat tips

Can someone give me some tips on combat?? I guess I'm so use to the button masher type of game this game has me seeing the game over screen often lol I'm getting better I must say but just curious if theres any other thing that could help me out,thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Dodge , alot!

Combat in witcher 2- put up shield, hit enemy once or twice, run away.. Repeat ad naseum

[quote user="III Poison III"]

Dodge , alot!

[/quote] guess I'm doing it right then lol

[quote user="Drater77"]

Dodge , alot!

[/quote]

Ok,heres a couple of things i find really annoying!

1.As everyone knows,the "combat system" sucks,wth?If left trigger is supposed to lock ona target,at least make sure it does before releasing the game!!

2.When i finally got used to the buttons,and how to use signs and traps and bombs and uclear missiles,suddenly i cant use anything except the sword on a "boss"-i tried to defeat him 3 times,until i finally understood that i can only use the sword on him?!-weird,just weird...

3."prepare for big battles"-well,how the hell are you supposed to know when to drink the potions?You cant meditate "obviously" in the middle of a battle,so when?

I love the game,butthere is no way in hell this was ready to be released....Way to many weird situations...

[quote user="xxXMIKEY83Xxx"]

[quote user="Drater77"]

Dodge , alot!

[/quote]

1.As everyone knows,the "combat system" sucks,wth?If left trigger is supposed to lock ona target,at least make sure it does before releasing the game!! Combat doesn't "suck" it has a high learning curve. Just need to know when to block, dodge, and use you powers. Also the not locking on thing is most likely because it is really easy to look away from an enemy. The 'window' for having the cursor on them isn't very big so even minor movements can sometimes remove the cursor from them,  not allowing you to lock on.

2.When i finally got used to the buttons,and how to use signs and traps and bombs and uclear missiles,suddenly i cant use anything except the sword on a "boss"-i tried to defeat him 3 times,until i finally understood that i can only use the sword on him?!-weird,just weird... What boss was this?? I was able to use my powers, and bombs on the bosses I have fought so far. Traps I do use since I don't really care for them but the few times I have used them they worked on everything.

3."prepare for big battles"-well,how the hell are you supposed to know when to drink the potions?You cant meditate "obviously" in the middle of a battle,so when? Listen to what other characters say. They give a lot of hints that something big is gonna happen.

I love the game,butthere is no way in hell this was ready to be released....Way to many weird situations...

[/quote]

[quote user="xxXMIKEY83Xxx"]

[quote user="Drater77"]

Dodge , alot!

[/quote]

1.As everyone knows,the "combat system" sucks,wth?If left trigger is supposed to lock ona target,at least make sure it does before releasing the game!!

2.When i finally got used to the buttons,and how to use signs and traps and bombs and uclear missiles,suddenly i cant use anything except the sword on a "boss"-i tried to defeat him 3 times,until i finally understood that i can only use the sword on him?!-weird,just weird...

3."prepare for big battles"-well,how the hell are you supposed to know when to drink the potions?You cant meditate "obviously" in the middle of a battle,so when?

[/quote] to be honest it's one of the best fighting system around,also yes,listen to when people are talking don't just skip through cut scenes to know if big battles are coming soon

Also, read books.  Seriously...there's a lot of combat tips that can be picked up by actually reading the info in your logs regarding stuff you pick up.  

Steel weapons for humans, silver for monsters (this alone makes a HUGE difference!!!). Don't get surrounded. Use QUEN (shield) often and pay attention to it cuz the time goes down when you get hit and you will need to use it again. Best thing to do is jump out of the battle, use QUEN, then jump back in. Use a couple fast hits (A button), then a heavy hit (X). Repeat until your enemies are gone. Oh, and probably the most important thing, set your difficulty to easy. You don't get achivements for finishing on normal and hard separately. You only get a separate achievement for playing on Dark difficulty.

[quote user="DREAD SHOCK"]

Oh, and probably the most important thing, set your difficulty to easy. You don't get achivements for finishing on normal and hard separately. You only get a separate achievement for playing on Dark difficulty.

[/quote]

You assume that everyone plays games with the main purpose of getting achievements.

Thank you Carnac the Magnificent! Maybe you shouldn't assume that people need your stupid comments!