I have a question

Rather than go off track on another thread, I'll just start a new one. I've been reading some doom and gloom stuff about Microsoft gaming and the Xbox One (which is under performing). Granted, the gloomy ones are suits not gamers so I don't know that they are as aware as they might be and I do think that Microsoft has lost sight of what a console is supposed to be; but, I was wondering about something mentioned. It was stated that games and gamers were migrating to mobile devices and that consoles were a dying thing. I have to confess that the proliferation of mobile devices and digital everything just doesn't really work for my psyche. I have always failed to see why someone would buy a big giant TV and then watch movies on a smart phone. Do you enjoy big effects movies on a tiny screen? I have an iPad and it does what I want it to do very well indeed but gaming is not one of those things. I…another confession, I am an outlier on the bell curve of life…don't really like the casual games available for the most part and the more complex games that are suitable for small screens (I do have a DS and a PSP) are not on the iPad. 

So, to get to the question (at last) do you game on mobile devices? Do you really want to play Skyrim or Halo or CoD or any other big game of your choice on a smart phone or tablet? Does that work for you? I mean to think of Titanfall on a smart phone is just as much an oxymoron as jumbo shrimp. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

RPGs and mobile devices will never work. Shooters maybe. I know 343i made a pretty successful top down shooter Halo spin off for mobile devices.

I see, what do the graphics look like? That's where I get the disconnect between console on a big screen and mobile. I don't see any validity in caring about graphics, and everyone seems to, and  being happy with a mobile version. On handhelds, I like word games and match three or I like tactics games. The first game I got for my DS was FF Tactics A2 and I loved it, funny little chibi characters and all.. I have some rpgs for DS and iPad but they just don't do much for me. I don't play shooters but, yeah, maybe they would work but still, wouldn't you rather have great graphics and surround sound?

[quote] wouldn't you rather have great graphics and surround sound? [/quote]

*** yea. The shooter I referred to originally came out on PC and mobile devices but I had to play it on my PC. I recently downloaded it again on my 360 and immediately noticed the graphics were not as good but they had improved the sound and added a co-op mode so it was a decent trade off. RPGs though are best played on HD big screen with surround sound imo. You can probably tell I'm bigger on RPGs then shooters but I still like a bit of both.

I don't think that console gaming is becoming less popular, it's just that mobile device gaming is becoming MORE popular.  Simple games like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja can be cheaply made, purchased for cheap, played on a phone or tablet and marketed easily because they appeal to anyone who has to wait in line for anything.  The popular console games take more time and money to create and appeal to fewer people.  They're more of a risk.  So, the suits compare Angry Birds and Skyrim and claim that console gaming is dying.  I think that Microsoft may learn that gamers want to play games that are good - we don't necessarily want a console that does what our laptop does.  I hope that they figure that out, anyway.

I never can get the RPG, MMO, FPS thing quite right. As for my preferences on how to do it? I have a 105" screen and a Home theater movie projector hooked up in the guest room. Since we've had guests lately I've been pretty much playing in the living room on our LG 3D TV 47" with surround sound of course. I had an old Mitsubishi 42" TV and Skyrim looked like crap on it. Hardly playable at 780p. I did learn that HDMI patch cords are not all created equal. Upgraded one of mine and it was like a miracle happened. My console play is totally wireless  except for the connection on the LG with Optical cord and the highest HDMI plug I could find. 6ft cord cost over a hundred bucks. Needless to say the clarity of our picture is way better now. I use a Harmony controller and I highly recommend one to everyone. Save your pennies, it's worth it.

As far as my lappy goes, it's a 17" wide screen ASUS G75V series / nVidia 3DTV play capability. 500 gig partitioned HDD, GeForce GTX video card and intel i7 packed with a ton of memory. I can play just about anything on it. It's a middle road Gaming laptop. I had no problems with the beta test. My iPad is for goofing around and it has mostly music on it. A few small games but nothing I really spend any time playing. My iPhone is just that, a phone. So what I play or watch is only as intended. TV and Movies on the TV, Game on the Laptop and the X-Box 360. Headset for late night playing so I don't disturb anyone and regular viewing and playing during the day with Surround sound. Pretty much that's it. I can't see watching an expensive 3D movie or otherwise on my tiny little screen devices. We're technologically advanced around here with MAC, PC's, iPads, iPods, iPhones and TV's. All on the home network. Even my wife's Sewing Machine is connected to the network. It's some fancy expensive embroidery machine from Jenome that has it's own dedicated iPad with a program that lets her CADD draw her embroidery pictures along with the Serger and her 30 year old computerized regular NewHome sewing machine. I guess you figured she's big into sewing. I can even do a button hole if I wanted. That's saying a lot since I don't know how to sew. Her machines pretty much do it for you. I've read that stuff where folks are saying that consoles are going out but I can't believe that for a minute. Just because more folks are using mobile devices to play games doesn't mean consoles are going away. Consoles are getting so much better that we now have some games that are written for 3D. I think that's an upward trend, not a downward trend. Anyway. JMHO

Solitaire, NY Times Crossword and a billiard game reside on my iPad (WiFi only), they are pretty good on there. I have NHL Game Center on my PC, iPhone, iPad and the 360, when I'm not able to be near a television, I'll watch on the mobile devices, but mercifully, that's not often. NHL games in HD look outstanding on the Pad 3 tho, but still small. Action games and the goofy controls they must use for touch screens just don't work for me.

Like you Lady Bastet, I like the big TV, dark room, and the surround in these games is pretty darn good. When someone is creepin on me in Skyrim (many other games too) and I hear them, I know right where to look, sometimes even turning my head to see if one of our cats is stalking me.

Not too fussed about the Xbox1 myself, whatever shortcomings it has, will hopefully be sorted by the time ESO appears. It sounds like most of it's issues are tweak-able through updates and such. Not a huge fan of microsoft, but I'm not enough of a gamer to have both Sony and microsoft, so...

Angelus, you can colour me green with envy. I would like to sneak in and take all of your set-up including your wife's. I sew on a Kenmore I bought in 1970. I recently bought a new (old) buttonholer on ebay because mine had lost all its teeth, literally. I embroider by hand. Actually I prefer hand embroidery, it's more relaxing. I keep all my music on an external hd hooked to the mac and play it through the Apple TV on the (not nearly as good as yours) theater speakers.

As for games and consoles, I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I feel the same way about digital downloads and streaming video. It has a place and I'm happy to embrace it but it isn't the be all and end all that the younger generation will have me believe. Just because something is new doesn't make it better just different. I think the Xbox One (is there an accepted short form) will be in a new iteration by the time ESO comes out and I think more people will be jumping on board by then. I wouldn't complain about a price drop though.

BTW, Geddy, the one good thing to come out of the Forum upgrade is the option for rich text wherein we no longer have to return, type a period and return again to make a paragraph, though why that couldn't be incorporated into the forum typing space itself is probably a microsoft thing.

An addendum...I have Real Myst on my iPad 2 and it looks really good and plays well, too.  Elder Scrolls also plays well on the iPad. Otherwise my favorite games are Bookworm, which I've been playing since the mid 90s and Flow which is relaxing.

You mean that new-fangled text editor we have now? ;)

I used to do the rich format and just make the periods white, just feeling lazy today my dear. Just call me a curmudgeon for now, I'll get with the program eventually... :)

I won't complain about a price drop either....

It's the toys that make our entertainment. One of the reasons for not going back into the guest room is camaraderie. When I was "hiding" out back there, no one new where I was. This way we have morning coffee and reading the news together everyday. Then we go about our business. We've been together now for more than 30 years. You would probably get along pretty good then. She teaches sewing sometimes. But she does do it the old fashion way from time to time. As far as price drops go, that would mean I'd get to play longer. I always tend to opt for the hard copy of anything I can get. My iPad and PC use iTunes and bluetooth for more than a days worth of mood changing music. Soft Violins to Charlie Daniels boogie woogie country fiddle blues. Yanni to hard rock metal with just about anything that feels compelling in between. What exactly does that rich formatting do for us?