I changed my mind. Its awesome. - New Review

Yesterday morning after buying the game and then wasting another hour downloading all the updates and textures and clearing space on my hard drive and all the boring and stupid activities necessary to play, I jumped in and rarely found games to play in. It was frustrating and the graphical questions arose after I adjusted my brightness according to the games instructions, it just didnt feel so good.

Well then last night after a long workday and then a long evening painting my house, I sat down with some Knob Creek whiskey and really got into the game. First thing I raised my brightness by a couple notches, still less than halfway. I must say, once I let my guard down on teh graphics, and made some compromises with myself, I understood why the games graphics had to be toned down from BC2 and that is because the scale and scope of this game is so much larger and greater than anything in BC2. And really the infantry and close to medium range graphics are fine. My main beef still is the vehicle textures and polygons and detail have been toned down, understandably, but it still seems extreme. Infantry fighting and close in fighting has great graphics on par with anything else on the system.

On the other hand, when you are flying an SU35 or FA18 flawlessly with no lag engaging 2 other jets and 2 other helos, with infantry and vehicle combat on the ground, all in destructible environments, there is a moment of awe becuase no other game provides this kind of gameplay on consoles, and keeps it running smooth. The jets are just like the airplanes from 1943 so needless to say I am already an ace pilot but the kills are hard to acheive in this game with the faster pace flight characteristics. I got tons of assists but no kills in the jets. And the jets are on way more maps than I originally thought. I am terrible with the helicopter at this point but I know if I wanted I could focus there and become ****. There are so many different paths to choose as far as kits and soldiers and vehicle progression it will take me some time to earn the perks I want to use. I am a good soldier with high points per minute but my KD is down right now while I learn the mechanics of the game. If you havent played a game with truly destrucable environments in online warfare then you are totally missing a completely different gameplay dynamic that you dont see anywhere else.

I am going to go by a pawn shop and try to get a nice surround system for cheap just for this game.

There will always be bad connections from time to time when you get a *** player with a crappy connection. I think Xbox or EA should restrict access for some connections that hamper the gameplay, or put all the bad connections on their own servers...

Ever since I put the game down at 1AM last night I have been thinking about flying the SU35 and driving the Abrams and smashing fools on this game. I love the asymmetrical style of gameplay where you can attack any objective in any way you want. It seems there is never a lack of tanks at the bases so you can always get in something powerful and take the back roads.

All in all I am now very excited about this game an dunderstand that it cant be comparable to the PC graphics wise but for the experience on consoles this is as good as it gets.

It was curious in the soldier camoflauge section they had some US Army Ranger camo even though all the current American forces are USMC (aside from the USAF A-10). I even think with the Back to Karakand expansion pack they may include the M2 Bradley and AH 64 Apache, or other vehicles from Battlefields past esp Battlefield 2. Seems like they are leaving the online expansions wide open with this game and will maybe even double the current vehicle tally in the end.

Nothing beats this game for a couple years until a different console if DICE and EA keep the content and updates / patches coming. I even think they will re-release this game on the next console in a couple of years with full graphics and 64 players, that is how **** it will be.

Now go buy it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Yes there is some lack of destruction I have noticed that was unexpected. That irked me most in my initial play session as well. I dont know if some structures are hardened, but I suggest getting in an Abrams and start shooting bldgs and seeing what breaks and what doesnt. Thre may be some better shells that can destroy reinforced concrete... although in real life, even concrete would be destroyed by a regular Armor Piercing round.

One thing I noticed in the destruction engine is there is more detail in the objects being destroyed. Different building comonentts are exposed and are destroyed according to where you hit them with your rounds. Take a deeper look at the destruction.

I am still learning about the game like everyone else. Last night I didnt pay as much attention to the destruction as I did earlier in the day. I think there are more properties on building strengths depending on what they are made out of. Maybe the destruction of some elements/bldgs was eliminated for what DICE considered gameplay reasons like offering some static cover that can never be destroyed near spawn points and flags and that sort of thing.

[quote user="dip it in sider"]
There will always be bad connections from time to time when you get a *** player with a crappy connection. I think Xbox or EA should restrict access for some connections that hamper the gameplay, or put all the bad connections on their own servers...

[/quote]

Actually its the EA problems, not the connection of players throught the world.  Even if you had a room full of everyone with perfect connections,  its an EA shooter.  They always have online problems and always will.   At least you are enjoying the game thats all that counts.  But when it comes to online connection issues with an EA shooter, its alwys going to be an unreliable experience. 

When it comes to the graphics, what you see in the beta and the demo are pretty much what you see in the final game.  So the lower quality online graphics should not surprise anyone.

That's funny, I changed my mind in the opposite direction. It's still a good and fun game, but the game overall is average to me. For me, the level of destruction(or lack there of) is probably the most disappointing aspect of the game so far.

I would think they are gong to patch the servers like every other Battlefield. This is where a proper Beta Test with vehicles like on Caspian Border would have payed big dividends right now on connectivity/lag issues. But still they are minimal and not game killers by any means. I fully expect the server issues to be ironed out. The game is huge right now it is hard to find servers cuz theyre all full.

I already have the expensive Tritton headphones. Headphones are boring. Big speakers is where its at. Not the tiny little tweeters in the 7.1 systems.

[quote user="xFilter"]

Instead of going to a pawn shop to pick up a surround sound system I would really consider a nice pair of 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headphones. They're worth every penny and you will get a much better sound.

[/quote]

I have to agree , my Earforce DSS and X12's really do the game justice in wartapes :)

I cant stop thinking about this game... I think Im in love.

Instead of going to a pawn shop to pick up a surround sound system I would really consider a nice pair of 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headphones. They're worth every penny and you will get a much better sound.

[quote user="Spud 72"]

That's funny, I changed my mind in the opposite direction. It's still a good and fun game, but the game overall is average to me. For me, the level of destruction(or lack there of) is probably the most disappointing aspect of the game so far.

[/quote]Me too.  Yeah it is fun but nothing makes me think that the developers did anything different besides ''polish'' the graphics.  This Frostbite 2.0 that was plastered all over their advertisements was either completely exaggerated or I am blind.