I bought the wrong version of a game

I bought Call of Duty Cold war Standard edition and I was trying to buy the Xbox Series X version is there anything I can do to upgrade?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello there @TomG1996, I hope everything is going well!

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Xbox Forum support. The best option in your situation would be to request a refund on the accidental purchase and then purchase the right version this time.

To request a refund on the game, please access http://xbox.com/refunds and sign in with the account and then select "Request a refund for a digital purchase" after that, manually check the orders for purchase and Choose the reason the most suitable for your request.

The refund department takes up to 72 hours to respond and the money takes three to 5 business days to go back to the account. I wish you a lovely day, and I hope this helps you out!

Kind Regards
Stay safe, and happy gaming!

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello there @TomG1996, I hope everything is going well!

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Xbox Forum support. The best option in your situation would be to request a refund on the accidental purchase and then purchase the right version this time.

To request a refund on the game, please access http://xbox.com/refunds and sign in with the account and then select "Request a refund for a digital purchase" after that, manually check the orders for purchase and Choose the reason the most suitable for your request.

The refund department takes up to 72 hours to respond and the money takes three to 5 business days to go back to the account. I wish you a lovely day, and I hope this helps you out!

Kind Regards
Stay safe, and happy gaming!

So I'm having a problem with this process.  I did the same thing for Cold War through the Xbox store site from my phone.  I booted the game and played for no more than an hour.  I've emailed support for a refund, they stated in a canned scripted response that a refund is not available due to me playing the game.  TBH, I don't even play COD games but since it was the first on the new system I broke down and purchase the game.  I still would like to play but with the new technology.

I then replied asking for an exchange, yet I got the same exact scripted response.  It's obvious that the rep didn't ready my additional comments.  I replied again with a more descript response asking for an exchange and was met again for the third time a scripted response.  It's obvious to me that MS support doesn't read the email and treats consumers as if they are numbers, very disappointed not with the reject of a refund but with the impersonal responses and the fact that will not answer my additional questions.

When purchasing the game it was not very clear as to the version being purchased.  I am a very seasoned gamer and have been a loyal customer of MS/Xbox since the beginning.  I've been a day one customer for every console release.  I've never asked for any support of this nature at anytime throughout the years.  I'm not asking for special treatment but for MS support to at least treat me like a valued customer.

So my question is if a refund is denied even though I'd only played the game for no more than an hour is an exchange possible?  Will I get any better service if I call support?  Any idea if there may be an update for the current version to be the next gen version?

Sorry for the rant but I'm very frustrated.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft refuses to honor the refund they have denied it twice now. I feel like this is very poor customer service considering I bought the 70.00  version already but they refuse to refund me for the standard edition. I have literally spent over a $1000.00 on the the new series x and games and controllers in the last 2 weeks and they can't refund me a 60.00 game that was not working properly on my series x thats pretty cheap!! 

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft refuses to honor the refund they have denied it twice now. I feel like this is very poor customer service considering I bought the 70.00  version already but they refuse to refund me for the standard edition. I have literally spent over a $1000.00 on the the new series x and games and controllers in the last 2 weeks and they can't refund me a 60.00 game that was not working properly on my series x thats pretty cheap!! 
THEY WONT REFUND YOU IT HAPPEN WITH ME AS WELL AND IT SUX ....YOU HAVE NO OPTION AS FAR AS I KNOW TO UPGRADE TO THE RIGHT VERSION ....I AM SITTING ON WITH A BROKEN VERSION BECAUSE I DID MADE A MISTAKE BUYING THE INCORRECT VERSION AND OF COURSE I NOTICE ONLY AFTER PLAYING "DOOOH" BECAUSE THERE WAS NO CLEAR MARKS SAYING THAT VERSION WAS FOR XBOX ONE ONLY ....THIS IS NOT RIGHT MICROSOFT , YOU LIKE TO PUNISH CUSTOMERS FOR THEIR ERRORS ....AT LEAST SEND A VOUCHER SO I CAN SEND THIS GAME TO A FRIEND OR SOMETHING ....

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They said they won't refund me cause i already played the game if this was steam i wouldve gotten a refund for a broken game 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing happened to me.  I purchased the Standard Edition for as a gift for my kid because on the description it said for XBox One and Series X.  Nothing specifying that it is not the Series X edition.  I called customer service and they said they'd get me a refund and that it could take up to 72 hours.  Two days later I get an email saying they can't refund my money.  Is there any way to pay an extra $10 to get the Cross Gen version?  This should be very straight forward, but I guess it's too much to expect from Microsoft and Activision.  All they have to do is explain in the description of each version, what system it's intended for instead of muddying the waters with unclear language.  It's frustrating to say the least.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This game is literally broken. In same boat standard version trying to play on Series X. I can't get though a single match without it shutting off my console completely and having to reboot it manually by turning the power back on. Even crashes at in-game menu.

In my 100s of MS game purchases 360, X1, X1X and now XSX I have never experienced such trash! It shouldn't MATTER which version of the game you have. EVERY other X1 game works fine on XSX and I've tested at least a dozen. Modern Warfare runs flawlessly.

If there was a option to upgrade from standard to XSX cross-gen I'd pay it. Theres NO WAY im re-buying this game just to play it on XSX. What a waste of money.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So is this something Microsoft plan to sort out, or do they simply not care about their customers? I am not paying another $100 for the game. Thats ridiculous. 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here ;(

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought Call of Duty Cold war Standard edition and I was trying to buy the Xbox Series X version is there anything I can do to upgrade?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 24,421 Applies to: