I bought a new 250GB HDD and now my XBOX Original games don't work when I mount it onto my 360...

Right, so I ordered a 250GB HDD off of Amazon. I checked the label and everything and it appears to be an official one, licensed by Microsoft. So I started transferring my saves and stuff from my 20GB HDD to my 250GB one through use of USB sticks (yes, I know it's dumb and ineffective but I couldn't for the life of me get my XBOX to recognise the transfer cables that I got with it.) Everything got transferred over just fine, with the exception of my XBOX original saves. When I tried to transfer those, the XBOX told me that I couldn't because of licensing issues.

Well, I thought nothing of it at the time, figuring that I'd simply be able to put in the games and start over. It wouldn't be that big a deal. However, upon trying some of the games that I had recently downloaded (Max Payne, Stubbs the Zombie and Black), they all came up with a message that said that the XBOX was unable to boot up the game, and that I had ought to redownload them. So I did. This yielded no better results. I figured that it had to do with licenses that hadn't been transferred over. Having the profile that's attached to the licenses connected to XBOX LIVE while playing should have fixed this like it does with XBLA games, or so I thought.

Well, I tried putting in a disc-based XBOX original as well, and that didn't work either. Halo 2 gave me the exact same message, telling me to "try downloading it again." It's on a ******* disc. What the hell? Discs don't have licenses associated with them, unless this is some new anti-used game sales ploy by Microsoft that I was as of yet unaware of.

So, bottom line: I bought a new HDD. I am unable to transfer XBOX original saves between my old and new HDDs, and when I mount my new HDD onto my XBOX, none of the original XBOX games, be they downloaded or disc-based, work anymore. Everything else works to perfection. I assume the licenses come into it somehow, but I am always online when I boot these games up.

Any help? Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I cant play Xbox original games.

It does sounds like it is not an official MS HDD, I might be wrong but given the fact neither xbox original discs or downloads work it points towards that.
That would also explain why the transfer cable did not work.

If you get no other suggestions I would recommend phoning support on Monday morning.

EDIT: Forgot to ask does the HDD have an MS hologram sticker on it?.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, it seems it's a fake. It's a very elaborate fake though: aside from the fact that hologram sticker does not have that same "depth" effect that the official HDD's sticker does, my 20GB and counterfeit 250GB are indistinguishable. I got it from Gadgetgear, a UK-based retailer that sells through Amazon.co.uk. Their reviews were very positive for the most part but there was one lone review that stated in all caps "THEY SELL FAKE STUFF." I suppose I should've listened to that guy. Ah well, guess I'm putting down more money to buy an official one from a brick-and-mortar retailer. That way, at least, I'll know for sure what I'm getting into.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.