I am no longer a child.

Hi there.

I am already 18 this year but my Lumia 800 (bought in April 2012) device deems me as a child. This makes it extremely frustrating and troublesome as I am required of parental approval before I could accept the new Terms of Service (TOS) updated on September 2012. This only happened after the update of TOS. I have tried searching for all parental controls on my Microsoft account but found nothing. I did not associate my account to any of my parent's email as well, so I do not understand which e-mail address of my parents' does Microsoft demand from me whenever it gets me to sign in with the parent account associated.

This problem disallows me to update any of my existing applications nor download any new ones and it renders my device almost useless without access to the Marketplace now.

I would greatly appreciate any of your help. Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hello Almond!

You can find the instructions to promote a child account to an adult account in the Xbox LIVE and Zune online safety and privacy article.

Note, the age on account must be over 18. 

Cheers! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="SailingAlmond6"]

Hi there.

I am already 18 this year but my account Eightball45 forgot the parental approval. This makes it extremely frustrating and troublesome as I am required of parental approval before I could accept the new Terms of Use updated on October 2013. This only happened after the update of TOS. I have tried searching for all parental controls on my Microsoft account but found nothing. I did not associate my account to any of my parent's email as well, so I do not understand which e-mail address of my parents' does Microsoft demand from me whenever it gets me to sign in with the parent account associated.

Now I cant accept the new Terms Of Use without the parent account. Whichs means I cant sign in into Eightballl45 online

I would greatly appreciate if they would take the parent approval off my account so i could accept Terms Of Use of October 2013.

[/quote]

Sorry this didn't help.

To Mister Ohnaka: unfortunately, that page did not work as I could not even accept the new TOS to enter the provided page to change the settings.

The best solution I found was to create a new Microsoft Live account (ensure age information is accurate), and reset my phone with the newly created account. No doubt all data would be gone, but I decided to give it a go as my Lumia 800 was almost completely useless with most of my apps being unable to function due to lack of updates, anyway. Information like contacts can still be sync-ed if they were stored in a mail account (e.g. gmail). It works perfectly right now - I can download apps and update them - and I still love it like before. :-) Hope this helps anyone out there with a similar problem!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to add on, I followed the instructions on other forums to also check out my existing Microsoft Live account's age information. There was no issue with the age information for my existing account (it was 18YO) but it still could not work! Hence, I decided to create a new account~ Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.