Huge Request: Walk me through Mass Effect

So I always wanted to get into the series and I have decided to buy the first game today. I am a little confused about how everything works and it would be nice if someone could help me out with this game. I am sort of confused mostly with the combat. I understand how to use me and my team mates abilities and such, but I am really confused as to how to fight effectively. It seems half the time I have to go solo even on easy mode as my squad members apparently like to get shot and die.

-

I have lots more other questions ans I feel that having someone help me out would be a lot easier than posting them on a dead community board or on this board. I wouldn't be asking you what decisions to make and annoying things like that, just more about the technical side of things like stats and fighting tactics. Hopefully one of you guys is playing through the first one and wouldn't mind helping me out.

-

Currently I just beat fist and I'm not confident that I've been balancing my stats correctly. I chose the infiltrator class and it seems like there really won't be many times I am actually able to use my sniper rifle to it's full advantage.

-

I'm trying to keep this post short, so if any of you guys would like to help, add me. If you have any general tips too, you can feel free to post them in this thread. Thanks in advance.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I just started playing again myself, if you want we can play some tomorrow evening

Squad controls are simple. Up on the D-Pad sends them to a location, down orders them to take cover, right tells them to attack the enemy you have targeted and left calls them back to you. Also turn off squad power usage in the options, as they tend to waste their abilities.

-

Don't try to balance your character out. Pick a couple of things you want to level up that compliment your play style and focus on putting points into them first. The same goes for the squad, don't balance them but put points into talents that compliment your Shepard.

-

The sniper comes into its own when you are off the Citadel. Make sure to put points into it to help with aim and crouch as well when using it as that also helps with accuracy.

-

Keep an eye on your inventory and regularly convert lower level gear to Omni-Gel. Don't bother selling excess gear as you get more than enough credits other ways and the Omni-Gel comes in much more useful. Also remember to update yours and the squads weapon and armour upgrades when you start getting new kit, the right upgrade can save your life.

Thanks for the tips, reading the guide right now.

-

I knew about the squad orders, but they just suck at fighting! I always just end up calling them back because I can't heal them fast enough and they can't find cover themselves.

A general rule of thumb that I follow in any game that involves AI partners, don't depend on your team to do anything. Go in to every battle with the intention of killing every single enemy yourself. If your teammates die, you don't care. They'll get back up after the last enemy is dead. This mentality has served me well in every game I have played. Mass Effect series included. And I have no doubt it will continue to serve me well on Tuesday.

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

They'll get back up after the last enemy is dead.

[/quote]Really? I kept reverting to my last save because I thought they actually died!

lol No. There might be times during the game when some character or other might die. But that will be the result of a decision you made through dialogue. They always get back up after a fight.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

Thanks for the tips, reading the guide right now.

-

I knew about the squad orders, but they just suck at fighting! I always just end up calling them back because I can't heal them fast enough and they can't find cover themselves.

[/quote]I would order them to a location behind cover then give them the take cover order. It seemed to work. I also almost always used my wrecking ball crew of Garrus and Wrex. Pump up Garrus's Sniper rifle and mod the hell out of it to maximize damage and then make sure he has it equipped. He will swap out when it over heats but you can always swap it back when he does. With Wrex I modded the hell out of his Shotgun and let him go nuts. I think when a certain skill gets high enough his Krogan Regeneration kicks in and even when downed he will get back up a few seconds later. Unless going for specific crew member achievements Ashley and Kaiden are useless. Liara and Tali though when leveled up a bit are very good and I would sometimes swap Liara for Wrex or Tali for Garrus on missions I needed them on. Also make sure both Tali and Garrus have high hacking skills if you are not going to use them in the same team.

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

A general rule of thumb that I follow in any game that involves AI partners, don't depend on your team to do anything. Go in to every battle with the intention of killing every single enemy yourself. If your teammates die, you don't care. They'll get back up after the last enemy is dead. This mentality has served me well in every game I have played. Mass Effect series included. And I have no doubt it will continue to serve me well on Tuesday.

[/quote]I hate you americans. We get it on friday, you would think this game would be big enough for a world wide release. I do have a 4 day weekend for the game though because as much as I know the combat will be boring as hell, I am hoping the story is as good as the first. and will be also be playing the co-op as much as possible.

I actually have those to partners too right now; I was actually considering keeping Wrex because he is good at CQC, and I'm a infiltrator so I'm pretty ranged.

-

Also, how do you mod your weapons? I have some but I can't seem to figure out how to put them on.