How to use an online pass on both my consoles

hi everyone, here's my problem. I have two 360 consoles, one for me and one for my kids.I bought mass effect 3 and utilized the online pass that came with the game on my console, which can be used by anyone that uses that console as well (sorry forgot to mention that we have an xbox live family account, me, my wife, my son and my daughter) anyway, my son is trying to play me3 on the other console but can't gain access to the the online stuff, it only gives me the option to redeem online pass code or purchase online pass code. i logged on to my account, on his console, and was able to gain access to it though. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 83 Applies to:

i believe 1 per console.your son can play with his gamertag on the console that u redeemed the online pass.try calling XBOX live support and tell them if they can give u a code since u have family accounts and 2 consoles.

The online pass that you redeemed is linked to the Gamer Tag used when you entered the code. That Gamer Tag can access the Online Pass by logging into either console. If you want your Son to be able to access those features he needs to either log in under that Gamer Tag or purchase a new online code for his Gamer Tag. The codes are one use only and only work for one Gamer Tag. Sorry if that isn't the news you wanted but hopefully it helps you.

[quote user="DarthLama"]

The online pass that you redeemed is linked to the Gamer Tag used when you entered the code. That Gamer Tag can access the Online Pass by logging into either console. If you want your Son to be able to access those features he needs to either log in under that Gamer Tag or purchase a new online code for his Gamer Tag. The codes are one use only and only work for one Gamer Tag. Sorry if that isn't the news you wanted but hopefully it helps you.[/quote]It's not what he wants to hear because it is not completely true.

From Information about the Mass Effect 3 Online Pass.
[quote]As long as the Online Pass DLC package exists on the console, any Xbox LIVE/PSN profile that is in the same region as the game will have access to Multiplayer.[/quote]So if he wants to let his son have access on the other console a license transfer is going to be needed. That would mean that he'd need to be online with his console for DLC to work though.

Missed the edit time.

-

Essentially with online passes it is a good idea to redeem the code on the 'family' console so that everyone can make use of it.

-

On your console you'd need to be signed into LIVE to use it but since it is an online pass you'd need to do that anyway.

I have never seen a DLC license work that way. Apparently, it's not working that way, because the OP says she logged in on the other console with her profile and it still doesn't work. Perhaps she can re-download the pass onto the new console? Personally, I'll be shocked if it actually works since I'm looking at the card that came with my Collectors Edition and it clearly says at the bottom that it's a one time code limited to one account.

Either the card is wrong, or that web site is wrong.. my guess is it's the web site. Hopefully it's the card.

[quote user="DarthLama"]

I have never seen a DLC license work that way.[/quote]Really? Pretty much all DLC works that way. The major exception is Avatar items, as they are linked to the account only.

Most DLC is licensed to two things. The account which purchased it and the console it was first downloaded to.

The latter console license enables everyone on that 360 to use the DLC, online or offline.

With the account license it lets you play the DLC on any 360 as long as you are connected to LIVE. Other accounts on those other 360s will also be able to use the DLC but only when the purchasing account is also signed in to LIVE.

You move the console license with a license transfer.

[quote user="DarthLama"]Either the card is wrong, or that web site is wrong.. my guess is it's the web site. Hopefully it's the card.[/quote]My guess would be that it is the card.

This is based on that the EA Sports titles also allow other accounts on the 360 the pass was redeemed on to play online using it.

From EA SPORTS Online Pass

[quote]Do I need an unique Online Pass for every user on my console?
No.  One Online Pass will give online access to multiple users logged into the console where the Online Pass was first activated (subject to the console manufacturer’s and EA online terms of service).

Also, the user that activated the Online Pass will be allowed to access online features on other consoles (of the same manufacturer) by logging into the same account credentials that they used when they enabled the Online Pass.
[/quote]I would think that if the pass downloads a file to your 360 then other players will be able to go online.

[quote user="voteDC"]Most DLC is licensed to two things. The account which purchased it and the console it was first downloaded to.[/quote]

Please understand, I don't want to sound like I'm being combative, but in my experience no DLC works that way. I have 2 user accounts on my console, and no DLC bought under my 'DarthLlama' account is ever accessible to my other account. Maybe we're doing something different, but my experience has always been the same as the OP. The only way I can use DLC content is with the account that purchased it. Even if it's on the same console.

If everyone elses experience is different then mine then it's quite possible that I am doing something wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened. lol

If that's the case, then I apologize to the OP for giving inaccurate advice.

Something is wrong on your end. This is how the licensing has worked for a long long time now and is the very reason the license transfer option exists.

From http://www.xbox.com/drm:

[quote]

Xbox 360 Digital Rights Management
What is DRM?

Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology is used by content providers, such as Xbox LIVE Marketplace, to control how digital game and video files are used and distributed. Xbox LIVE Marketplace sells and rents DRM-protected videos, games and add-in content that are covered by media usage rights that allow specific uses of that content.

When you purchase content, you receive a licence to use that content. The licence has two parts: the system licence and the local licence. The system licence applies to the gamertag that purchases the content, and the local licence applies to the console where you first downloaded the content.

Transfer content licences

You can transfer content licences from one console to another once every four months.

If your console was recently repaired, or if you’ve purchased a new console, use the licence transfer option on your console to transfer content licences. Here’s how:

1. On your console, sign in to Xbox LIVE using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.

1. Go to the Settings and then select Account.

1. Go to Your Billing Options, and then select Licence Transfer.

1. Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer the content licences.

After the licences have been transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licences. This way the content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you’re not connected to Xbox LIVE.

For information about how to download previously purchased content, please see Buy and redownload content from Xbox LIVE.

[/quote]XBLA games, Games on Demand titles and DLC I buy on voteDC can all be used by the other accounts on my console.

Edit: The page uses different terms for the licenses to me.

Account License = System License.

Console License = Local License.

Different terms to say the same thing. 

i have a spare online pass (game stolen so i got new copy)